Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Meaty" women triathletes:
Quote | Reply
Thread from Letsrun:

http://www.letsrun.com/...d.php?thread=2306225

Don't agree of course, just thought it was a interesting perspective in a weird way...I think a lot of fast runners look unwell. But meaty???
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [dyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former runner and one of the smaller female triathletes at 5'5'' and 105 lbs most of the other girls look big to me, but I wouldn't call them "meaty" or fat. It is just a different body type. I think most of the ITU women have bodies like elite middle distance runners--muscular and not quite as skinny as the long distance runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing he's never done a triathlon or he would STFU

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this mean that Swimfan is alive and well? Let's hope not!
Last edited by: unclegimpy: Jan 26, 08 22:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo this thought:

"I don't think that they are big and meaty....they just look that way because you are such a scrawy undersized guy."

Actually I was a bit surprised that it seems like the triathlete women I've seen don't tend to be as lean as I'd anticipated before getting into the sport.

But it's still better than the hordes that show up to the humpty dumpty 5k... ;)

---
justin

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive said this before and people dont like to hear it but its true, a large number of participants in triathlons are far from athletic looking. If i had to throw a ballpark figure out there i would say less than 1/2 look like athletes and i dont mean ripped with muscle im saying relatively low bodyfat and healthy looking(TO ME). Im not going to trash the people who participate in the sport or enjoy doing it because i think its great they are doing something they enjoy but you're kidding yourself if you think what he's saying isnt true. I wouldnt say its more women than men either, its pretty equal on both sides.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [omoore61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way I look at it, the whole country is meaty. Go to the supermarket, the schools, the 5k races, the pools, the marathons. Why would triathlons be any different? But of all people to criticize for their size, people who are participating in an active lifestyle are the last ones that should be given a hard time. For many it is a first step towards achieving a healthy body and life.

But to be honest, I feel pretty meaty when I'm at races and I'm not overweight. I get really intimidated by the 10% BF women. I can't imagine how I would feel if I was overweight. I give them a lot of credit for that.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the country part but i think people get the perception of participants in a "grueling and demanding" endurance event when they think of triathletes. If you held that perception its understandable to see why they go to a race and see anyone thats not super lean and maybe be disappointed. Im not going to knock anyone because, again, i think its great they people are being proactive in attaining a healthy lifestyle. Im about as lean and as fit(physically) as i can get and i go to races and i see some of the 30-34, 35-39 badasses and almost start to question my fitness!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those scrawny pencil necks on Letsrun have now idea what a real meaty woman is:

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [omoore61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive said this before and people dont like to hear it but its true, a large number of participants in triathlons are far from athletic looking.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I don't agree with you. "Most" people I see at tri's look in good shape to me. Even if they don't there willing to race....more power to them:)

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jan 27, 08 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, um, my wife might fall into this category. She's about 5'9" 163ish lbs. She's bigger, but in no way "big." When we talk about "looking fit", I think we have to be very careful. What we mean by "looking fit" is very subjective, much like what "good looking" means. In the end, the best way to judge fitness is performance and/or results.

<StartOfBoast>My athena wife races age group in both triathlon, trail runs, and XTerra. At every race (except for XTerra Nationals in Nevada) she was on the podium. In fact, she placed first in at least two road triathlons this year. She might not look fit to people who don't know her, but she motors anyway. Rock on, wife. <EndOfBoast>
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way I look at it, the whole country is meaty. Meaty???? Try obese or plain old word fat.

This is from my masters swim ;)

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Last edited by: black: Jan 27, 08 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ive said this before and people dont like to hear it but its true, a large number of participants in triathlons are far from athletic looking.
You are absolutely correct, and I think I have some idea why this is the case. This is just my opinion by the way...

1. Triathlons require a lot of endurance training.
2. Endurance training requires fuel (i.e. calories).
3. People go for a long bike ride or a long run and come back tired and the gas tank on E.
4. They eat WAY more than their body can handle at one time.
5. Their body digests and processes what it can, the other part... welllll.... let's just say it goes to other places (cough cough hips).

OR

1. They eat a HUGE breakfast with plans of working out later, and it ends up being just too much food for the workout they're going to do.

I was the same way. Once I changed my diet to smaller meals and no snacks bigger than 200 calories, I became a lot more lean. I still eat plenty of calories, just more spread out. I think too many people just over compensate for a 3 hour long bike ride and go crazy with the post workout food thing. Just my thoughts on the topic.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just ruined my "feel-good" Sunday Brunch with that picture....

Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [TriRug0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we mean by "looking fit" is very subjective, much like what "good looking" means.
-----------------------------------------------------
Since I started running in 2001 my race wt avg was 143(I'm 5'8" 1/4). I raced last season in the high 140's. When I tell people I work with I want to drop 5lbs they look at me like I have an eating disorder.

PS: FWIW In the mid 90's my wt got into the 190+ range....very scary!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jan 27, 08 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am always confused why "heavier" people always use triathlons as thier goal. I have triathlon set as an auto record key word on TiVo and it seems every week I am deleting an episode of the biggest loser or some show where a fat person wants to lose weight show because their goal is a triathlon.

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always confused as to why trialthletes would ever question, criticize or otherwise appear to discourage others from participating in triathlons, especially those who would clearly benefit from a heathier and more active lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Emerald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always confused as to why trialthletes would ever question, criticize or otherwise appear to discourage others from participating in triathlons, especially those who would clearly benefit from a heathier and more active lifestyle.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well said!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am always confused why "heavier" people always use triathlons as thier goal. I have triathlon set as an auto record key word on TiVo and it seems every week I am deleting an episode of the biggest loser or some show where a fat person wants to lose weight show because their goal is a triathlon.

That is because of the "image" of a triathlete. It is considered the fittest and thoughest sport. Do you see anyone setting a personal goal playing the masters? Even though it is more impossible than finishing an Ironman. And they see the NBC coverage with all glammed up video, honestly it makes it lookm cool. I don't think anyone would be hyped after vatching Versus coverage of CDA, IMAZ or IMOO
And the training, people look at the training plans and say oh boy if she can do this I can too and I will lose 100LBS eat what ever I want. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. How many times have you seen, after a group run or ride people gorge themselves to food? Regardless of the distance they train everybody eats more than they supposed to. Due to cold, i've been running at the gym. They have Ellaptical machines and treadmils filled with people still trying to get rid of holiday weight.
They walk on the treadmill 30 minutes with a 32oz gatorade. And I bet they eat a "reward" food after that.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont you live in california(i read socal in another thread)? Apples and oranges :P
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Emerald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm always confused as to why trialthletes would ever question, criticize or otherwise appear to discourage others from participating in triathlons, especially those who would clearly benefit from a heathier and more active lifestyle.[/reply]

Only on slowtwitch. Typical comments from a certain segment.

And why are we meaty? Better to kick ass.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they have a good personality?
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70% of triathletes (and I am just estimating here) can lose 10-15 lbs, and would probably be better for it. Endurance training is not for FAT LOSS. You think just because you went out and rode for 5 hours at a 17mph pace, having at least 5 GUs along the way (high sugar)...probably some Gatorade (high sugar), that you can go home and have a 1000-1500 calorie meal? If you are eating clean (i.e. non-processed foods, low sugars/low GI foods, including NO alcohol), then it is hard to get in that many calories. And, you will probably stay at a deficit and lose some weight- and be leaner. You should not be 20%+ Body Fat as a woman and call yourself an elite triathlete. Don't get me wrong, just because you have low body fat does not make you fast- but, it does help to get you faster if that could be what is holding you back from getting to the next level. If your goal is just to "finish"- then, eat all you want, get fat and enjoy your long 6 hour rides at 15 mph and your 2500 calorie dinners. I, myself, am 5'6", 137 lbs, and 14% BF (as of last wee). I work hard at that, and, I do fairly well at races. I keep getting better each year, and also, a bit leaner.

Just don't call yourself a triathlete if you are going to let yourself get FAT just because you want to say you do this endurance sport- true reality is, if your FAT, say it. You are a FAT TRIATHLETE- and there is a book out there that describes what that is. Eat a bit cleaner, don't put so much in your mouth, cut back on those "sports" drinks/gels during your training, and you might surprise yourself. Running 15+ miles, or riding 5 hours might feel a bit easier.

Train Hard- Eat Smart.

erikalilley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This subject has come up here at least a few times.

People become pretty sensitive when the subject comes up.. usually there is a portion of people that will state that yes, a good percentage of people competing can stand to lose some weight if their goal is to get to the finish line faster. Then the next group goes a bit overboard, calls group A elitist snobs and state that as long as people as happy then can do whatever they want.

Both groups are correct: a good portion of trigeeks (esp in the US) as well as regular folk can cut down their portion sizes, and it's also great that people are competing and getting healthier. I do think that a lot of people use training as an excuse to put down massive amounts of food but at the same time it doesn't change my day at all.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [PNWTSUT13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this is a low fat burrito

Prev Next