Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 305 HRM
Quote | Reply
Mine doesn't want to work all of a sudden. I tried changing the battery and no dice. Any clue as to what could possibly be wrong that I could figure out without having to send it in or replace it? Maybe someting with the wrist unit that's not recognizing for some reason?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 HRM [Bizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What exactly does not work with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 HRM [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not being recognized at all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had the same thing happen. no service or technical support from the FA's at garmin. just threw it away.

------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's not working? The heart rate, the GPS or the wrist unit in general?

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh jeez.. .I went thru this with my 301. I ended up giving up on it after a couple replacements. Getting my new 305 tomorrow, and was planning on using some HR training over the winter. All I can say is Garmin replaced the 301 monitor quickly, but that one only worked for a short time as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need to re sync it again. I had the same problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 HRM [tricervelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call customer support at Garmin--the same thing happened to me and you have to do what's called a "soft reset". Customer support at Garmin is
  • 1-800-800-1020 (U.S.)
  • 1-866-429-9296 (Canada) or (913) 397-8200

• Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I've had my 305 for around a year and a half and it's happened to me several times.

This is from a Garmin tech:"To reset the Garmin device, turn off, then hold Mode + Lap and press Power for a few seconds then release mode + Lap and Power."

That should do it. Just remember what to do in case it happens at a race when you don't have access to this. I'm speaking from experience here. :-(

Whatever you do, don't throw it away.

Last edited by: Axles of Evil: Dec 18, 07 17:13
    Quote Reply
    Re: Garmin 305 HRM [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    There are actually three forms of reset for the fr305s (not including the resetting of a recorded activity), one is considered a soft-reset (like rebooting your computer), and the other two are considered hard-resets (and these will reset your unit completely to factory specs--so be careful as you'll lose all settings and data).

The soft reset is simply performed by pressing the lap + mode buttons at the same time. This will cause your unit to power down if it is on/frozen (and often the unit appears off when frozen). No data will be lost using this reset. Press the power button to startup and most problems will be cleared.

The next most common reset is this hard-reset performed by holding down the mode button while powering on (two buttons, that's it). When your unit powers on you will be prompted as to whether you really want to perform the reset or not (be sure you do if you answer yes as you will lose your data). This reset often needs to be preceded by the soft-reset.

The third reset is another hard-reset, but you should only use this one as a last resort as it bypasses the prompt in the more common hard-reset. It can be hard to do, so you may want to try a few times if nothing happens. Press and hold mode and enter. Press power but do not hold it. Continue holding mode and enter for several seconds. If it works, the unit should power on and go through the initial settings wizard after you release the buttons. On my unit, I can see the screen flicker after I press and release the power button, and that's how I know that I can release the other buttons.

Not sure why the tech would explain the process that way, but that actually looks to be a combination of the soft and hard resets, so thought posting a little clarification might be helpful (and a little easier on your fingers).
    Quote Reply
    Re: Garmin 305 HRM [kansaiben] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I know this is an old thread, but it sounds like this is a common/continuing issue. For others who stumble upon this thread, I just had the same problem as the OP and option #2 (hard reset using mode + power) worked like a charm. Thanks!
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I've had duff batteries from new, so it's always worth trying with another new battery. Also you can reset the HRM only by putting the battery in upside down, put the cover on and put the strap on. Then take the battery out and refit the right way round. Remember to have the head unit rescan afterwards.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
    Well, I have a PhD :-)
    Quote Reply