Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will my HSA pay for orthotics or sunglasses?
Quote | Reply
I have a health savings account, the type that rolls over from year to year and its pre tax money. I was wondering if I could use the debit card they gave me (about $300 worth of savings) to buy over the counter orthotics (Sole Footbed) or sunglasses from my optometrist. I am more interested in finding out if I could buy orthotics because I need some foot support in my various shoes (work, running, cycling shoes). I could not find any mention of foot orthotics in the IRS 502 but it seems like it would be covered. Any help would be appreciated, it could save me some bucks.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Will my HSA pay for orthotics or sunglasses? [softrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with any insurance benefit, things are generally only covered if "medically necessary". That said, OTC orthotics are generally never covered. Prescription orthotics (if indicated) are covered by *most* (but not all) insurance payors. Generally falls under the DME or durable medical equipment guidlines. I can't comment on eyeglasses or sunglasses as that is generally an entirely separate policy/issue.

Re: Will my HSA pay for orthotics or sunglasses? [softrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought two pair of Rudy Project with the RX inserts from my eye doctor and HSA reimbursed me promptly.
Quote Reply