Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$1000 p2c frameset
Quote | Reply
So there's a an 06 p2c frameset for sale on the classifieds thread (now it's on ebay so who knows how much). I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal, I could break down my current bike and build the p2c. But that leaves the old frame sorta out in the cold. So I'm thinking, I wonder how much to build from the frame up? Holy moly, you could sink another thou' or two into it and still need wheels. Not really worth it unless you have a lot of good components lying around or on an obsolete frame, neither of which strikes me as very plausible. So I'm wondering how the heck can a lbs offer the p2c for $2500, are corners cut, do you get like 50%+ discounts to buy in bulk, what gives?

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had a buddy just buy a new '07 model closeout decked out in Ultegra, training wheels and all for $2000 from our LBS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not get the frame if you want it and can afford it (and it fits) and have it as a project?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Manufacturers pay a lot less for components than the unwashed masses do.
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [AEIOUsometimesY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Manufacturers pay A LOT less for components than the unwashed masses do.
Fixed that for you ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
complete build kits usually run on the order of $1000 if you buy in the aftermarket. never that much more. And, if you buy in bulk like manufacturers it is much less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They pay a lot less for the frames too. You can buy a full DA built bike for like $1500 or you can pay reatil for the DA kit at like $2000. Any how, if you took your time you coudl find all the parts you needed for pretty cheap - depending on how crazy you got with the build.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI-I bought a 56CM P2C off the classifieds here with DA components and FSA crank minus wheel and bars for $950.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know any lbs owners here are going to hate me for this, but ultegra for ~$700 on probikekit:

http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=D1090

as an interesting aside, my lbs *pays MORE* for an ultegra group than probikekit sells them for, so he just tells his customers to buy kits from probikekit and he'll build up bikes for them.

(he can sell campy more cheaply than probikekit does, though! centaur ftw.)
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip, I don't want to subvert the LBSs, and I think my bank account can verify that I do my part to support them. I was just wondering the $$ aspect of putting together your own bike. I'm leaning towards IRONLOBO's idea, get a frame and let it grow slowly, kinda like a chia pet.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its up to you.

In the past, I upgraded parts on my mountain part piece by piece and eventually ended up with a number of older pieces that could've been used for a bike build. I ended up with a whole bike build kit when my road bike hit a car and the frame crumpled. I bought a 100$ frame off nashbar and built it up as a fast commuter. Sold that this year (unfortunately to a friend who's been paying me back piecemeal which has been very annoying) and used that money + some to build up a cervelo for my gf. You can get a lot of parts used for a good deal on ebay and here. Yeah, I like to support my LBS but some things are just too good to pass up - but you have to be patient. With my gf I wanted specific parts like a 165mm crank, 38cm bars etc. I'm still at it. I just got a new fork for 1/2 retail and the last piece I want is a 1" Chris King headset...
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]They pay a lot less for the frames too. You can buy a full DA built bike for like $1500 or you can pay reatil for the DA kit at like $2000. Any how, if you took your time you coudl find all the parts you needed for pretty cheap - depending on how crazy you got with the build.[/reply]

I am looking for a Cervelo p2c with DA. Where can you buy them for $1500?

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he was probably talking about people who work for bike shops.

my friend gets fully built up bikes @ cost minus 20% (and this seems pretty typical of most bike shop employees).

one guy in his shop is selling an '07 full DA CAAD9 that was used for maybe ~1000km for $1400 canadian.

i don't know how much he paid for it, but i'm willing to bet it was something around that price range.
Last edited by: tegra: Nov 29, 07 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i know any lbs owners here are going to hate me for this, but ultegra for ~$700 on probikekit:

http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=D1090

as an interesting aside, my lbs *pays MORE* for an ultegra group than probikekit sells them for, so he just tells his customers to buy kits from probikekit and he'll build up bikes for them.

(he can sell campy more cheaply than probikekit does, though! centaur ftw.)
"Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Chainset Double"...I've never heard it called a chainset before...crankset,
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's called a chainset in the UK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering the $$ aspect of putting together your own bike.

I've just done this. Bought a close-out tri frame online then slowly assembled the required parts over a 6 month period as I could afford them...mostly new, a few parts lightly used. Nothing was transferred over from my existing road bike (it's for sale, complete). Buying a complete bike from the same place at the time of the frame purchase would likely have saved me some $$$ initially, but I didn't have the funds then and I'd still have to swap parts out to reach a satisfactory build spec.

Due to currency differences and the exhorbitant retail pricing of bikes & parts in our part of the world, trying to make a comparison for you for this excercise would be futile but lets say I'm pretty sure it worked out around even on the local retail price of a stock complete bike (that's without swapping out & upgrading certain parts as mentioned above). Our dollar is/was relatively strong against the USD & GBP so most of the big-ticket items were purchased overseas online saving me a tonne of $$$ over local retail (the small market economy thing).

Now, with the exception of a front race wheel :(, I want for nothing on the new bike...saying "I built this bike..." rather than "I bought this bike..." is pretty cool too (even if my own contribution to wrenching was kinda limited)

:)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it's called a chainset in the UK.

I assumed that must be the case, just never heard it referred to as such.
Last edited by: CY TRI: Nov 29, 07 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 p2c frameset [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm impressed that you could wait 6 months while it slowly built. I admit even tho' I don't allow myself to get near my bike with tools (case in point, screwing up the bottle cage screws) I would take some satisfaction in 'building a bike'.

Jim_n_La
Quote Reply