Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new road bike. Already riding a P3, which I think the best tri bike I can afford (<$1800 with full race setup)

Would like slowtwitch's opinions for what would be the equivalent road bike. I'm not adverse to buying 2nd hand, and am seriously considering Cervelo Soloist, both the anodized Al Team versions, as well as the pre-anodization painted Al versions. Problem is that they're too high in demand on eBay, so you'll never get a good deal there.

It's gonna be a race bike... so I'm not looking too much for comfort. Aluminum is more than enough for me; If I do get a carbon race bike, it had better be comparable in stiffness.

So what alternatives do I have? Budget under $1500 for framset and components? (I already have road race wheels...)

Re: "Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$ [chewgl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can not go wrong with the Scott Speedsters.
Quote Reply
Re: "Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$ [GOKARTN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... was considering a Scott CR1. There are a few going for $2k on ebay...

Quote | Reply
I'm kind of lusting after the Tarmac now

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Would like slowtwitch's opinions for what would be the equivalent road bike. I'm not adverse to buying 2nd hand, and am seriously considering Cervelo Soloist, both the anodized Al Team versions, as well as the pre-anodization painted Al versions. Problem is that they're too high in demand on eBay, so you'll never get a good deal there.

That's why ebay, in general, is a great place to sell stuff...if it's an in demand item, it's going to go for "true market value" or more.

Do whatever you can to find yourself an Aluminum Soloist. Hands down the best road bike out there on a "bang for the buck" basis.

Just my 2 centavos ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm in the market for a new road bike. Already riding a P3, which I think the best tri bike I can afford (<$1800 with full race setup)

It's gonna be a race bike... so I'm not looking too much for comfort. Aluminum is more than enough for me; If I do get a carbon race bike, it had better be comparable in stiffness.

So what alternatives do I have? Budget under $1500 for framset and components? (I already have road race wheels...)
where did you get the P3 full race set up for < $1.8K??, used?, of a friend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah... was considering a Scott CR1. There are a few going for $2k on ebay...

If your budget can stretch up to $2K, a BRAND NEW 2008 Soloist Team has a list price of $2K IIRC.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$ [serge73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eBay, $1500, DA build. It's a 2003 aluminum version, 700c

Sold the Ksyrium wheels - $300

Bought Specialized Trispokes - $600

Quote | Reply
You want a stiff road bike for racing? Get a Cannondale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would try to get a Waterford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already got it right - for the money, Soloist Team

Re: "Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$ [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any bike build on a Cannondale Caad9 is a great frame for racing @ a great price

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several to consider: Cervelo Soloist, tough to beat as long as it fits; geometry isn't great in the smallest sizes. Giant TCR series aluminum bikes; good all around bikes, again make sure it fits. Ridley Scandium; kind of the sleeper here and a little more $$, but it's got legit Euro geo and heritage, great bike. Also, the Douglas housebrand bikes from Colorado Cyclist are good; solid frames, great spec for the dough, good geometry.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: "Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$ [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2008 Soloist Team.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you dont mind waiting, Canyon is coming out with a new road bike. Suppose to be a sub 1,000 frame, and excellent STW ratio. I've heard nothing but good things about canyon bikes. The only downside is they seem to be slow on getting their bikes out, so you may have to wait a while, BUT the waiting will be well worth it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: "Best" road bike? For racing... Value for $$ [bikerbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I found what I'm looking for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...K:MEWN:IT&ih=006

It took a brave heart to pull the trigger... I'm still not even sure if I want it. Anyone interested in buying it off me if I change my mind tomorrow? (=

Quote | Reply
Why in the world would you change your mind? The C'dale you bought was what your were looking for! Even better, you went $800 under budget!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planet-X SL

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This time of year you can find some Kestrel Talons at nice prices. Two years ago I got mine from a shop minus wheels for $1550 minus wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one of my all-time favorite road frames. Alu/carbon construction gives you the best of both worlds. Just keep your eye on the Carbon SI cranks... they have a bad habit of breaking. In fact, there was a recall on a certain serial # range recently... you may want to take it to your local 'Dale dealer when it arrives to make sure your's are not included.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great bike. A (Cat3) guy I raced with this season got a number of podium finishes (and one win) on the same bike. The bike won't hold you back if you have talent. No need to have regrets at that price. You may want to invest in lighter wheels for crits though (maybe some American Classic 350s or something like that).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd think about scraping a bit more together and looking for a Soloist Team. It is a great bike. I rode the '05 DA Soloist for two years and loved it. The best road bike that I have owned. Some CSC neo-pros ride and race the Soloist Team on the European circuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to see you took my advice about Cannondale:-) The six13 is an excellent choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the upper budget ~2k Soloist or Kestrel Talon, Felt has a F65 around 1600 or Cannondale, Lemond Alpe d'Huez ~1500. This is a pretty competitive price range and you can find a lot of nice frames with just a component spec down from their $2k+ bikes. I don't have prices, but; Giant, Specialized, Lightspeed all have bikes here.

good luck, almost too much to choose from in this range

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you get your bike yet? i noticed several comments for Cervelo Soloist Team....I've got a black 56cm '06/'07 frameset for sale
Quote Reply

Prev Next