Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"My Athlete" GPS Kona Tracking
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone. I'll be testing a new GPS device that will be making its Kona debut this Saturday. For those of you here in Kona, you can stop by the "My Athlete" tent in the Ironman village to learn more. For those of you in the virtual world, these devices will be worn around our waists (about 4x1.5 inches long and wide, 1/2 inches deep) and will allow for minute by minute racer updates throughout the bike and run.

More information can be sourced here www.myathlete.biz

Mahalo!
Last edited by: mwunderle: Oct 11, 07 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: "My Athlete" GPS Kona Tracking [mwunderle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool. is it waterproof?

doh. never mind. Now I see it's for the Bike/Run
Last edited by: OWEN_MEANY: Oct 11, 07 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey everyone. I'll be testing a new GPS device that will be making its Kona debut this Saturday. For those of you here in Kona, you can stop by the "My Athlete" tent in the Ironman village to learn more. For those of you in the virtual world, these devices will be worn around our waists (about 4x1.5 inches long and wide, 1/2 inches deep) and will allow for minute by minute racer updates throughout the bike and run.

For all the details, please click on the link below and wish me luck!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/...nderle&mign=blog

Is this a volunteer "trial" thing or are the pros going to wear it also?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: "My Athlete" GPS Kona Tracking [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to the web site and answered my own question.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: "My Athlete" GPS Kona Tracking [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These prototype units are not waterproof yet. The next generation should be, though. The plan is to offer such units for around $50 per race rental. The other option being investigated is the possible purchase of such a unit for about $250-300, plus a monthly cellular access rate of about $10.

There has been very heavy interest in the German and Japanese markets, but the principal owners want to do a fair amount of field testing before getting too aggressive. To date, they have trialed at this year's Boston Marathon, Wisconsin Ironman and now Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is pretty cool - ok so on a related item in reading that 2peak is going to have 3 pros transmitting live powermeter feeds, I am wondering how they transmit that signal. Is it a short-range connection to one fo the race vans? Or does it directly go through cell lines? Do they create a hotspot with a nearby car?
I guess it's not that big of a deal HOW it happens, but I am just curious.

This "belt" working with a cell phone makes a lot of sense, even if there are dropped connection, etc.

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this provide enough detail so that it could be used as part of a drafting enforcement policy in a few years?
Quote Reply
Re: "My Athlete" GPS Kona Tracking [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question, same thing I was wondering. From what I can tell it does an update every minute or so. I'm wondering if that will become more "realtime" as it's refined. Eventually if it's an "Always on" type of thing I wonder if it will replace timing chips as well, although I doubt it with the accuracy of GPS as it is. I can definitely see the two being combined though so the wearer only has one device.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great concept...will this be available for IM Florida in a few weeks?? Great way to have family track the race. I would be interested in giving it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love the idea. i don't think i'd pay $50 for it though. without any clue as to what your costs are, i'd probably set my humble upper limit to around 15-20 but i'd do it every single race for 10.

it would also really depend on how nice the online interface. If it's nice, colorful, with real-time google maps and the ability to monitor multiple units on the same screen awesome! if it's just text based feedback... not so good.