Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triwz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with your view that BOPs shouldn't post on this Board.

Aside from your T36esque attitude of exclusion, I would say that it is more relevant for a 15 hour IM finisher to learn how OTHER former 15 hr. IM finishers improved to say 12 hours vs. how some Top 10% jerk (as identified by Francois in Mtrl, above) improved from 9.75 hours to 9.25 hours.

What's with all the ASSHOLES on this board?
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Glacier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glacier, you need to learn to read and comprehend posts. I never said BOP's shouldn't post on this board and it pisses me off that you say I did. Your saying that I did makes YOU the a-hole, not me. Other than that, it seems we actually sort of agree. I've been saying that the person giving advice needs to let people know where they're coming from. Your example was perfect. If someone has been a 15 hr IM and figured out how to cut it to 12 or 13 hrs I'm all for them posting advice on how they did it. I think I'm learning a good lesson about why some people (like me) usually don't post on this forum - other people will literally change what they said to suit themselves and then argue that they shouldn't have said what they didn't say in the first place. On the off chance that you weren't actually referring to me when you mentioned all the a-holes then I apologize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I re-read your post. Here are the comments I have a problem with:

"I guarantee you that many slower people who give advice have not "studied" the sport."

"I just don't think people who normally finish in the back of the pack should be giving advice on what "works" for them, unless they clearly state what sort of times they're getting in their races."

First, assuming you (and T36) are not "BOP" (in what race, btw, the Olympics? Kona? Age group?), please state all of your PRs with links so we can verify them. I think it is EXTREMELY ELITIST AND RIDICULOUS to say that only "BOPs" should declare their times before posting. I would imagine that both you and T36 pretty much suck compared to Simon Lessing.

I was not specifically referring to you as an "A-H", but then my comment could have been read to infer that, so I apologize. :-)

But hey, if you're gonna post something clearly negative about "slower people" and the quality of their posts, you gotta EXPECT some potentially negative feedback. It's a free board... you're free to post your views, others are free to respond. But I was out of line in reverting to the A word, admittingly.

Dude, maybe you are a sub 9 IM guy, and you hate scanning through all the "useless" (to YOU) posts on this board from 12.99 hour MOP/BOPs on what works for them. But this is an OPEN board for ALL triathletes who love the sport and desire to improve/learn about themselves. If you want to start your own Board for Elites (with minimum qualifying times) please go right ahead.
Last edited by: Glacier: Jul 3, 04 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[B]Why is it people insist on buying $3000 bikes, wear $100 sunglass, swim in $400 wetsuits but can't place in their age group or even the top half of a race overall?? [/B]

Because it is the easiest way to "increase speed" (or so the thinking goes). Making life changes like losing 15+ pounds, correcting technique, etc in order to increase speed are more individually demanding than paying for expensive, lighter equipment.

I would say it also has something to do with peer pressure also. Everyone wants to look like the pros. There is likely some status in having some nice gear.

Every sport is like this. Folks will use anything legal that can improve their performance. Marketing plays to this. How many websites/sources out there actually say you can "finish in a respectable time with minimal equipment" vs. those that have numerous ads for high-end equipment? What is the message being sent here? How many bike shops would sell someone lesser equipment saying "for your situation this is the money best spent"?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Glacier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glacier, I accept your point that it's elitist to expect only BOP posters to give an idea of their times when posting. I'm not a particularly "fast" IM. My times range from around 10:45 (IMF, flat course) to 11:25 and I work my butt off to get those times. I'd normally need to shave an hour off my times before I could qualify for Kona. Either that or get a 25 person roll-down. Needless to say, I can't strut around looking down on people simply because they don't place in their age group. I should not have just referred just to BOPs when talking about giving advice. While I might not find some of the advice from a 16 hr IM particularly helpful I probably also wouldn't find some of the advice of a 9:30 IM helpful, assuming it was geared toward doing that sort of time. Someone else made a reference to this earlier. If I followed what your typical 9:30 IM does I'd likely be overtrained and injured in a couple weeks. Thus, if I remove my reference to just BOP's when I say it would be nice to know what people are basing their advice on I think we basically agree. Also, while I agree there are some really fast triathletes who are essentially jerks looking down on the rest of us, I've found there to be as many or more slower people who call the fast people elitist jerks simply because they're fast. There are always going to be jerks out there (normally, they're the ones calling other people jerks.) I've found most of the people I've met at races to be nice. I'm heading off to Franfurt this morning for IMG where I won't place in my age group or qualify for Kona. I'm just hoping enough people speak English there to make it an enjoyable experience. I think it will be. Thanks for clarifying your post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know this is a free country. AND how do you know they only race /train occasionally? How do you know they aren't a pro just doing a race with the back of the packers? How fast do you have to be to ride a nice bike? Why are you the judge of these things? How do you know they have not just came back from a serious illness? How do you know they weren't a fast triathlete and took some time off? Could the pro's call you a "Posuer" ? I think we have a great sport and should enjoy it without judgeing people we don't know. I HATE judgemental people -----"woops"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a theory... and some day I hope to conduct the market research study to support it. Here is goes...

I would guess that depending on the earnings demographics of participants, there is a direct correlation between the amount and frequency of spending, and the perceived enjoyment and duration in a sport.

Many of my friends, myself included, use the timely purchase of a new pair of running shoes, or a trick upgrade to my bike... as motivation. Sometimes I am probably not even conscious of the purchases effect.

When there is a lot of stuff to buy (triathlons, golf, etc.) there seems to be great enthusiasm at the higher earnings level... and sport like soccer, ultimate frisbee, flag football... not so much.

Just a theory... but in America we are shoppers, purchasers and proud owners of stuff... good, or bad?

Maybe USAT or the Olympics should fund this study given such deep pockets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at the BOP because I am a grandmother who rides a Litespeed, not a Porsche.

And I can swim and I can bike and I can run, and I can do them all in a row, so I'm no poser, no matter how slow I am. But at my age, I need all the comfort money can buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [LPage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an anti poser. I do have a custom frame but built the bike up around exsiting parts from my previous bike or used parts from ebay. Total was just under $2k, built w/DA. I still love looking at bikes and always perplexed by three things at races. $1500 wheelsets and $500 dollar bikes, $4-5k bike w/ training wheels and why don't more people use discs.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 4, 04 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triwz, have a great race in Frankfurt. I'm dealing with ITBS now so all I can do is work on my swimming and think long-term . . . have fun out there, wish I was competing with you!

It's easy to flame folks on an Internet board (self guilty), but I think most of us on Slowtwitch are a pretty cool bunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's AWESOME. Keep on racing Gma, you are an inspiration for what this sport is really about.

I want to get as fast as I can just because I CAN, but what I really love about this sport is the lifestyle of fitness, the comraderie (friends I've made), and the fun of competition (for PR, for age group slot, but most importantly for the sheer joy of finishing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you gonna pose in the Girls Of Slowtwitch calander we are doing to raise money for a gold statue of Slowman?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next