Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triathlete36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People who show up at the races aren't posers - they're triathletes.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

I am sorry for what that Priest did to you as a child but please don't take it out on your fellow triathletes. We are here to help you though it might be difficult to erase all the memories of what your dad and his friends did to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to your definition, I guess I'm a poser. I'm in my fourth year now, and have just upgraded to a great bike with my family's help (they all pitched in). I must say, going from a ~15 year old Murray Sebring to a '04 Caliente makes a world of a difference. Who knew that actually having your feet attached to the pedals, and dropping about 15lbs from the bike would help?!

I am certainly not a podium finisher, though I've made that my goal to shoot for in a couple more years of racing. For me, training and racing is about the experience...not about the place I finish in. Granted, I feel a bit better after the race if I do half-way decent, but losing...or DNF'ing has it's merits too. Sure, I could still do a race on the Sebring sitting in my garage, but if something makes the experience a little more pleasant, then why not go for it? If you're having fun, and you've got the cash (or your family), what's wrong with that?

-
It is said that if you want to know what you were doing in the past, look at your body now; if you want to know what will happen to you in the future, look at what your mind is doing now. - H.H. Dalai Lama
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [cstetson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurk mode 'off' for this riddle: What do you call someone who does a 16:59:59 Ironman (using a $5k bike to boot)?

Ready?

Answer: An Ironman Triathlete :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not agree any more. However I would add more to it than that. What annoys the hell out of me is people who have just gotten into the sport and talk about how they need to get Dura Ace or Ultegra when they don't even know the most basic things like, pulling up when you pedal and basic bike technique or those with really expensive and nice racing flats but have to walk up some hills and look like they have ankle weights on because their form is so bad.

I started out as a swimmer and enjoyed the purity of it. No one could hide behind some equipment or no one did it as a hobby as some people claim when they buy expensive tri equipment. It was all about the pain. \

But what you talk about is all around society. I think there are a lot of posers for a lot of stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was a sarcastic jab at his attitude,,,,as in that of a 25 year old. sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [surfer girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the great Eddy Merckx was quoted as saying "Ride up grades dont buy upgrades."

I operate from a different angle than many but do not begrudge those that choose to see it another way. That is, I race a modified mid-priced road bike. I usually see a rack full of high priced trigeek machines when I come into T1 and an empty rack when I get off the bike. Maybe I use this as motivation to train harder than those guys with more money than fitness/ability. I wont put them down for spending the money but I do enjoy beating them. One day I will probably buy a tri specific but for now this seems to be working.

Jim

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
< It does irk me when some people act superior to the rest of us solely because they have better gear.>

This thread is about people like Triathlete36 and yourself that act superior because they are faster than many others. I've been in the sport long enough (15 years) to know that quite a few fast age groupers think that all athletes faster than themselves are studs and all athletes slower than themselves are lame and, of course, poseurs if they happen to have nice bikes.

I so fully agree with one comment that said that the very best are usually humble. Most of the assholes are usually found in the top 10% of age groupers, where I would assume you and Triathlete36 usually finish races.

Francois in Montreal

PS: I did not say that all top 10% age groupers are assholes. In fact most of them are nice persons. I said that the assholes are overrepresented in this group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got into triathlon 3 years ago and I'm about the same age as you. I have friends who I ride with that have bikes that are well over 3K in price and have never toed the line. When I started this sport and dropped the coin for a wet suit, and eventually a P2K this season a few of my friends asked me why I spend the money and participate in the sport. The answer for me has always been, and will continue to be, that I don't compete against the other people in the race. I am competing against myself and making sure that I can improve my times and feel good about what I do. I wasn't blessed with the genes to run a 6 minute mile for any distance over 3 miles, or be able to swim a 22 minute mile, but I do consistently finish top 20% of my age group. If you think I'm a poser because I have a nice bike and a wetsuit then I would say you're about as misguided as you can get about why most people participate in the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: So many Arseholes, so few bullets. [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

To me the shame is that he stopped riding, not the bike or the $. From the tone of it he has the money and $5K isn't keeping food off his table. To me part of the problem is that their are two kinds of bikes -toys and the "real" bikes we use. Everyone knows a toy bike is under $100 so they cant under stand why you pay more. When someone in my office pays 40K for an SUV and I tell them their nuts you can get a hyundai for 10,000 people look at you like your an idiot, because they know the difference. My point is the middle class has a lot of leisure time and money. Some choose to spend it on travel, wine, golf, cars, women, triathlon, jewelry,whatever. Even on the high end triathlon is cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do they make cars that can go over the speed limit?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [JRH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beam bikes!!Yeah go for it. I love my SR TT7. You can adjust the geometry to whatever you want whenever you want.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the three T's offering greatest improvement and critical approach to success in Tri. Swim=Technique, bike=Technology, Run=Toughness.

I believe most of the bikes are actually in the $1800-$3000 range (lot of Ultegra in T1)

As to who the poser triathletes are...90% of the penalites or unfair practices for drafting are going to occur in your top 15% of athletes. My experience as a marshal is that mid to back o the pack are much cleaner riders and interested in a fair race (especially true at IMC)
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [josieb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got $20,000 in woodworking tools in my garage, but if you ask my wife, I don't actual make anything. Does that make me a poser?

I think the point is, if I've got the money I'll buy anything I please.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And where did I say in my ORIGINAL message that I was faster than everybody?? Once again the original message has been misquoted and paraphrased to fit your own opinion..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You used the very elitist/disparaging word "Poser" in your thread. Hard not to miss the attitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proposed new USAT Rule:

Quote:
No one finishing below 50 percentile in their age brack may purchase, own, use or possess equipment having a retail value in excess of the 50% of the average retail value of the equipment of persons finishing first, second and third in their age group. Subject to audit.
Now we need to decide whether this is per item of equipment or overall. In other words, can I ride an twenty year old bike with big old fatty tires so I can sport expensive sunglasses. That would be my personal preference, but others may differ.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [gcpicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two bikes are worth THREE TIMES the amount that I could sell my car for - I don't want to be called a "car-poser" so I'm sticking with my Mazda Protoge' for few more years.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I saw more happy people (especially children) in those refugee camps in Africa, then I ever saw in America.
Then I guess there's no hope for us to find happiness in a free, prosperous society. Sigh...
Last edited by: josieb: Jul 2, 04 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a paraphrased quote from a friend, "I wanna make sure it ain't the equipment making me slow" :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are you say someone who buys a pricy bike isn't already doing something worth while for those around them? How do you know what a person on a DA with full Carbon Record does with their life or their money? This whole thread bugs me because we want to discuss what other people do. What do you do to make you think you have the right to judge someone by their materail goods? It is none of your buisness. If people would worry more about their lives and not someone elses what a better world this would be.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who are you say someone who buys a pricy bike isn't already doing something worth while for those around them? How do you know what a person on a DA with full Carbon Record does with their life or their money? This whole thread bugs me because we want to discuss what other people do. What do you do to make you think you have the right to judge someone by their materail goods? It is none of your buisness. If people would worry more about their lives and not someone elses what a better world this would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I've got $20,000 in woodworking tools in my garage, but if you ask my wife, I don't actual make anything. Does that make me a poser?>>

Dude, you should make a P3 copy out of wood and actually ride it in a tri! That would be so cool. You might not be fast, but you would get mad props from everyone.

Brett
Quote Reply

Prev Next