Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why so many Posers in triathlons???
Quote | Reply
Well this is my 20th year of doing at least 5 races or more a year (I'm 37). Things have not changed in the last 20 years. Why is it people insist on buying $3000 bikes, wear $100 sunglass, swim in $400 wetsuits but can't place in their age group or even the top half of a race overall?? I'm sure triathlon is not the only sport where this occurs but seems most noticeable here. You see them at every race, riding around before the race like their great or just trying to get noticed.. I'm not saying you have to place so high to buy expensive stuff but it's like playing golf a few times a year and buying a $2000 set of clubs... Rant over...
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triathlete36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are so many people bothered by this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what would you say to someone who has a $3000 bike and doesn't race at all, just likes to ride alot?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you love the sport and have the cash - buying all the cool expensive tri stuff is fun.

Why do 50 year old guys who can barely drive a car get a Porsch? Their obviously not race car drivers! - Because they feel good about it.

If they train a moderate amount, and don't DFN in all their races - what do you care if they get first in their AG on a $300 bike or last on a $3000 sleek, sex machine.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why is it people insist on buying $3000 bikes, wear $100 sunglass, swim in $400 wetsuits but can't place in their age group or even the top half of a race overall??

I want to be sensitive in how I say this, but -- that's about the dumbest statement I've seen posted here in a while.

Let's see -- 100 people in my AG at a typical local race. That means 97 of them are poseurs if they have nice gear. Huh?

Why does owning a nice bike make someone a poseur? It's just a bike.

And why would it make you mad? What's it to you? What happened in your childhood to make you feel this way?

Flame over...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This actually used to bother me. Then I realized that these people are probably much more successful in life (in terms of financial success) than me, and therefore a $3000 bike is just chump change to them.

Why be jealous. Most people would think it is much more worthwhile to be a successful doctor/lawyer/dentist/whatever, with lots of money and little time to to train than an AG winner who makes a modest living.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Jul 1, 04 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing, because they are not at races thinking they are fast. It doesn't bother me people are posers, (it helps keep Tom D in business) it was just an observation from many years of doing races. I'm sure it happens at crits and road races also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using your logic... 50% of everybody at the race is a poser unless they have a crappy bike. If they are slow and not physically gifted then they don't deserve decent equipment. You don't have a clue as the nature of the people at the back of the pack -- but they are there nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have a real expensive bike, will never ever place unless no one else is in my age group, but at least I can look good, lol.

At my age, it's about all I have!

Don't worry about things over which you have no control. There are many other mysteries of life to ponder.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets say everyone you would like to leave triathlon did, and only the top half of finishers remain. Those that were previously MOP are now BOP - are they all of the sudden now posers? Then they should quit too, leaving you as the one true triathlon world champ. We shall bring you the finest meats and chesses from across the land!

When I stopped lurking and started posting, I promised myself I'd never get into a pissing match with anyone, but you need to look at yourself, man. This sport is growing and thats healthy. If someone is just leaving T2 while your packing up your shit, why not just cheer him on rather than call him a poser. Maybe she has lost 150 lbs in training. Maybe he's overcoming cancer. Or maybe neither of them is a very good athlete. You dont know, so stop judging people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You only race 5 times a year? What a poser. When are you going to get serious?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gear doesn't mean anything - attitude does. People with $3000 bikes don't bother me in the least. People who strut around like they're better than everyone else suck, whether their times back them up or not.

I might have over-bought, but what the heck! I can afford it, it get's me on the bike more often than if I had added Aero bars to my 20 year old road bike and I just feel faster (even if I'm not)!

Oh and my Grandmother drives a Porshe! No kidding. She's never been over 60mph but she loves it. Wanna give her a hard time too!
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [greensneakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<Lets say everyone you would like to leave triathlon did, and only the top half of finishers remain. Those that were previously MOP are now BOP - are they all of the sudden now posers? Then they should quit too, leaving you as the one true triathlon world champ. We shall bring you the finest meats and chesses from across the land! >>

Greensneakers, I'm dying over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny.

<<This sport is growing and thats healthy. If someone is just leaving T2 while your packing up your shit, why not just cheer him on rather than call him a poser. Maybe she has lost 150 lbs in training. Maybe he's overcoming cancer. Or maybe neither of them is a very good athlete. You dont know, so stop judging people. >>

I don't care what you ride or what you wear, but if you are crazy enough to be standing at the water's edge with me on some weekend morning while 90% of the world is still snoozing, you are cool in my book.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have come to a place where I embrace and accept my mediocrity. But if I'm going to spend hundreds/thousands of hours training to finish an ironman in 1500th place I sure as hell want to be on a decent bike. And because of a peculiar gait I have to buy darn near the most expensive shoes and orthodics on the rack. And my sunglasses are prescription.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't care what you ride or what you wear, but if you are crazy enough to be standing at the water's edge with me on some weekend morning while 90% of the world is still snoozing, you are cool in my book.

YES! That's what it's all about.

We are all of the tribe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I resemble that remark...

I think it's because of slick advertising. Suckers like me think we can buy speed. I just bought some really slick, high-performance, carbon-fiber socks. I expect to PR with them at my next race.

They're ELECTRIC BLUE!!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually 97 of them are not posers, the last race I did went 10 deep because of 60 people in the age group. You could place 50th in your age group but still place 50-60th overall in a large race. I'm in the 35-39 group and I've placed 4th overall and 3rd in my age group, so each race is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I have seen many more "posers" as you define them at cycling tours and Century rides. I don't honestly believe you can really fake it in tri at anything Olympic distance or longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I do cheer on the other people, I say "at least their out doing it" most Americans are home smoking watching NASCAR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all seriousness, I am a 12hr IMer. I am very sensitive to the expeianced. Could you please tell me the amout that is appropriate for my purchase of a tri bike? Also,should I just buy a Tres Desoto and not a T1. Or should I buy something less expesive,I am an hr IM swimmer. How about shoes. Should I stay under $60.00.......I dare you to give me an honest answer. You posted your opinion now give the advice to bak it up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my god... I am a poser. I am a bop'r and am waiting on a 5k bike, custom built just for me, to be delivered the middle of July. I never meant to hurt or upset anyone, especially a tri'd and true warrior like yourself. I drive a '97 Ford Exploder with 100k on it, does that help you?

Sounds like maybe you have a case of penis, err, bicycle envy?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anything, you should thank these people for supporting the high end bike industry. If these bikes were only purchased by the fastest athletes, none of the companies would likely build these bikes at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree, I think to ride a $5000 bike isn't a right but a privilege. I am also sick of seeing my favorite IM races fill up, there should be some sort of qualifying rule to weed out the posers. It bad enough the IM leaves the cut off time at 17 hours...if its going to take you that long maybe you shouldn't bother...they should go the way of IM Australia where if you can't make it 15 your done. Seeing these fat dudes with their USPS jerseys with a Zipp disc on the back while posting a 7 hour bike split is sad...why bother. Some fat ass attorney who thinks "doing an IM" to check off his list driving there in his Lincoln Navigator irks me as well. Its like those people taking 40 minutes to finish a 5K...I mean really why bother...then they wear their event T-shirt like they actually did something. For all the effort these people put into trying to look the part maybe they could get off there ass and actually bother training for it. Some animals eat their weakest young for a reason...maybe humans could learn something from them. End of sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why so many A-holes in triathlon?
Quote Reply

Prev Next