Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [bwhale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too learned to swim over the last few years with the help of Doug Stern. I never met him or even PM''d him here but it was vividly obvious just from his posts that he knew his stuff and was great person. I would take his advice and think about what he said while I was working out in the pool. This is the impact he had on "anonymous" internet people like myself. I am sorry for your loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cleo-

Those of us that knew your dad were very lucky indeed. The memory of him that still gives me goosebumps is the day on the island when I was in the pool breathing to the left so I could see him on the deck (I hate breathing to the left). Usually there were so many things wrong with what I was doing that he didn't know which flaw to gesture to me. Well this time I saw him pointing at me--first breath OK sign, second breath big nod, third breath the touchdown sign. It was like I had just made my own dad proud of me.

He was someone whose opinions we valued, who inspired us, and whose memory we treasure.

All the best, Scott Atkinson
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [skeets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the link to the little story I wrote about Doug and Curacao:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000106.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not many will remember - but Doug was one of the very first columnists for Triathlon Today magazine. Here's the tag we ran on his very first feature (Five Drills to Improve Your Swimming, Nov/Dec 1987).

"Doug Stern is the coach of Team Redline Triathlon, founder of the Doug Stern Swim Clinics in New York and New Jersey, PSAL Coach of the Year in 1972 and 1982, former East Coast Invitational and New York Masters swimming champion, and top age group finisher in several major East Coast triathlons. He has a unique ability to convey his knowledge through the written word and we look forward to his contributions to future issues of the East Coast Triathlete (note: Triathlon Today had regional sections - the editor of the East Coast Triathlete was Paula Tocci).

"Stern has organized a unique clinic for the winter-bound triathlete: a one week teaching/training vacation on the Carribean island Curacao with Steve and John Howard as fulltime instructors. Stern will lead daily workouts in an eight-lane, 50-meter pool, complete with personal instruction and videotape stroke analysis. Howard will work extensively with each individual, concentrating on bike fit and training tips. Howard will also lead group rides each day.

"The vacation/clinic is scheduled for January 12-19, and Stern estimates a cost of $899/person (including airfare from NYC, hotel, transfers, gratuities, coaching, pool use, and a beach barbeque). The sun and fun come at no additional cost. For additional information, contact Doug Stern (and gives address - Apt. 16H - and phone number)."

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I learned more about swimming from Stern's posts than any coach.

I was just telling a friend in NYC that he should go workout with Doug.

I really hate to see this. This coummunity, the swimming community and NYC have lost a great guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keeping your family and friends in my thoughts and prayers. The World is emptyier (sp?) with the physical loss, but man is the World faster and capable of swimming because of this wonderful man named Doug Stern.

I was completely shocked to read about this on my phone the other morning while I was waiting on a fellow ST'er, and I still don't know how to respond. Doug touched many lives, both in person and virtual. Very saddened. Your family is in my prayers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about Doug Stern three times this week: during each of my swims, plus my water-running session. His warm advice from this forum has been invaluable to me in the pool. Actually I probably thought of Doug more like six times this week. The other three times were about how he really warmed this place (Slowtwitch) up, with his very generous spirit and enthusiasm. I never even met Doug; there are probably hundreds of us who feel this way, here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wishes to the Stern family.

I was lucky enough to meet Doug at one of his small seminars. Yes, I have improved tons with the help of his advice. But more important to me, was the his overall attitude towards everything. He was an inspiring man. I wish more people walked around with his attitude towards life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been away so I just saw this for the first time. I have been fearful that this would happen since his first post about his illness.

I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss.
I never met Doug, which is my loss. I had hoped one day to remedy that.

Everyone here who met him seemed by their comments, to have loved him. Those of us who never had the chance to learn from him are all the poorer for his death.

There is hardly a time that I'm in the pool that I don't think of one of his comments or drills. when recovering from mybike crash and shoulder separation, one of his posted drills was the only thing I could do in the pool that resembled swimming. It greatly aided my recovery.

My best to you and your family.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the memorial was ballin
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all
i was on the swim team with Doug at Hunter College in the
Bronx. I just heard today of his passing (2 2 2008). We were lifeguards at Orchard Beach as well.
He was a great competitor and friend. This is very sad and unexpected.
My thoughts are with his family and current friends in the
Triathlon world. I thought of him today as i did laps in the pool.
Mike Kramer
Quote Reply

Prev Next