Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cleo:
My deepest sympathy and condolences to you and your family.
I don't know whether Doug was born a great teacher, or whether he had to learn how to teach. Either way, he came to it naturally. I took his beginner swimming class last year and vividly remember arriving at his pool (he seemed to own it) full of trepidation that first night, changing in that dingy changing room, and making my way upstairs to the pool. I sat poolside with a couple of other equally nervous nonswimmers, while Doug talked to us and made us talk -- why were we there? what were our fears? what did we think it would feel like to be in the water? He told us stories of all the people he had taught to swim (and one notable failure who had claimed he was trying to kill her and demanded her money back), and made us laugh at our hesitations. Then he told us to get in the pool and try to drown ourselves, to prove to us that we would float. Week by week, exercise by exercise, he taught us to swim, cajoaling, encouraging, insulting, and, yes, bullshitting (Doug never missed an opportunity to tell a good story or an old joke). About four weeks into the classes, I got it, and for the first time swam: I did about 20 lengths without stopping, and Doug's praise was unstinting. The next day he e-mailed me to tell me that watching me swim was the highlight of his day. I was so proud!
After the beginner class, I took his next level class, and this, too, started with a poolside chat. This time he added tests of ankle flexibility. The jokes and anecdotes were different, too, and the encouragement was more directed. The first night, he videotaped us swimming. His comment on my effort: "You can only improve." And I did. A few weeks later, in the middle of a drill, he stopped the class, and told me to demonstrate what we were meant to do. So I did, and when I had finished, he told the class, "Eight weeks ago, this person couldn't swim. Now he can." And he was right. I couldn't swim well, or strongly, but he had taught me how to swim, as he had taught so many other people.
I have rarely met someone as vivid as Doug. His personality filled that pool, encouraging his pupils to do better to repay his efforts to teach them. Physically, he filled the space too -- the way he carried himself, and moved, and the extraordinary grace with which he swam.
One night I arrived at the beginner class, and he was disappointed that I had come -- his neck was very sore, and he had hoped no-one would show so he didn't have to teach that night. It seems that his neck pain was the first sign that something was wrong. It's hard to believe that Doug is no longer with us. I had imagined taking classes from him into the indefinite future, improving my swimming, but at the same time finding out if at some point he started recycling the jokes and anecdotes. I will miss him.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [srb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very sad. I never met Doug but always enjoyed reading his posts. My condolences to his family.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for your loss. He will not be forgotten here...
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern - Memorial details [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. Like many others, I didn't know him but I learned a lot from your dad.

I'll be sure to get a swim in on Thursday in Doug's honor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry for your loss. Slowtwitch will deeply miss Doug and his seemingly infinite knowledge of all things swimming. He was a keystone in a community...one we would look to for answers. He will be greatly missed.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Jun 25, 07 20:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I have taken Doug's class for over a year and he's changed my life by making me a swimmer. I will always be thankful and will miss him dearly.
-Allon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a powerful spirit Doug was to have had so many meaningful touches with others. For me his posts were always a must read here.

Deepest sympathies.

Nick S.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean Doug was the king of all things swimming. Tigerchik is the queen of all things cycling. :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the tri-community has lost one of its luminaries today. the world is a sad place. doug was a class act and will never be replaced. we will race the rest of the season with his initials on our swim caps in his honor.

he has gone to the great 50 meter salt water pool in the sky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how news like this, of someone I've never met, can affect me -- I guess this speaks to Doug's personality, that this can come through the faceless internet. I am saddened to hear of your loss.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a shock. I don't check in that often and didn't realize Doug was even sick. Not sure I can add anything that others haven't already expressed. As a swim coach for 18 years and a strong swimmer, I still would eagerly read Doug's posts, if not to learn something new then to perhaps see a new way to express it to my swimmers. What a loss. My condolences to the family.

-leh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very sorry for your loss. I never met Doug but when I had swimming questions I always searched for his posts first and have many favorites that I read and reread many times. He was seemed like quite a character and I'm sorry I never got to meet him personally.

Take care
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo:
I was stunned to read this yesterday. So very sad. I just started tri last year, but knew immediately the wisdom Doug had, and not just for all things swimming.

What a legacy he will leave behind. He's helped so many that he never knew, like me.

My condolences go out to you and your family......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry for your loss. Your Dad gave a lot to others and will be missed . . . and he is fucking great guy.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...est=13009054#1369965
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just came back from an hour and five minutes of swimming at IMCdA and thought of Doug on every stroke; right foot down, right arm out; left foot down, left arm out....he's part of the fabric of my sporting life.

Thanks Doug!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug was a real treasure to ST; his passion for swimming and teaching have given thousands the gift of that incredible feeling a human feels when they are embraced by water in a most glorious way. It is magic and Doug was a wizard at his craft.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wishes to you and your family, Cleo. Doug will be missed.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. Doug will be missed.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to the Stern Family, Im going to go fucking swim extra laps for him today.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 years ago (before I became a triathlete) I called him out of the blue. I don't know how I found his number, but I needed help with a running injury and wanted to learn more about running in the water.

He talked to me at least 2-3 times for lengthy periods of time to help a total stranger from Virginia.

I'm bummed that I'll never actually get to meet him face to face (at least in this lifetime).

Condolences to the Stern family and the whole Swim/Run and Tri community.

Debi Bernardes

Owner, UCANDOIT Coaching Group, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too extend heartfelt condolences to your family.

- Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am extremely saddened to hear this news, I hope your family and friends will take some strength from everyones kind words.

Slowtwitch Planet-X mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to ask this since it could be very personal, but for some reason, I'm always interested in more details. I knew that he had kidney cancer. I kind of didn't follow his situation much because I didn't want to believe that we could lose Doug like this. My question is was he at home or was he at the hospital? Were you and the rest of your family with him when he passed away? What ultimately was the reason for his death? Was it the kidney cancer or some other complication.

I know this may be too much, but with a person like Doug, he isn't some random person. He's a friend of ST and I want to know more about the situation behind a friend's death.

Thanks.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cleo,
I have no words to express the lost of your father. It was 19 years ago when I met Doug in Curaçao. From that moment on we started to work together on the Curaçao "Doug Stern's" project, without considering that this will go on for such a long time. During all those years we've learned to know each other and became friends. What started as a small business project, resulted in a big, sincere friendship. Through your father I've met a lot of other people, nice people. Everyone who came with Doug to Curaçao, returned with a fulfilled happy feeling. Every trip was a success. Do you know what's the secret of the success of all those years? Very simple: your daddy.
Last Yanuary I told him that I was about to go with an early retirement. We've planned to make 2 trips a year to Curaçao, starting in 2008. I'm going to miss your Dad Doug. I'm going to miss the hugs we gave to each other every year upon his arrival in Curaçao and also upon the departure, assuring each other that it was a succesful trip and looking forward for the next trip.
I'm honored having shared all those precious moments with your Dad in Curaçao. Therefore we have proclaimed him as a GOODWILL AMBASSADOR OF CURACAO. It was because of him that a lot of people visited Curaçao. I will keep these nice memories of Doug Stern with me.

I want to express my condolences to you, your brother Zack and you're mom Lynn.

With love,
Remy & Roline Sillé from Curaçao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The world is a better place for Doug's time here - he will be deeply missed. My heartfelt condolences to you & your family, Cleo.
Quote Reply

Prev Next