Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [screamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I ever belly-ached to that guy he was always like, "It all starts with you Tom, you simply change the way you look at things... make it a positive."

Incredible strength, power and insight. Character.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts go out to you and all of Doug's family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my, this is a sad day. Doug was (still is) the only poster here whose advice i took for gospel. Talk about legacy, I'm sure there's a little bit of Doug in every stroke on this forum. Words fail really, my condolances...

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences.

I hope you and your family are doing as best as possible in this trying time.

Take care.

Rick V.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo,
So sorry to hear about your families loss. I met you momentarily at JackRabbit about a year ago.

Anyway, I'm participating in the swim across america, raising money for cancer research. It seems particularly appropriate to bring up the swim in light of Doug's passing. The event is towards the end of July in the Long Island sound.

For anyone interested in participating, the url is whttp://www.swimacrossamerica.org

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew Doug for a long time, first through running then through his Deep Water Running Classes. Over the past 3 years I have taken his swim classes, and compete in tris now pretty much because he helped alleviate my initial anxiety of swimming any great distances in races. He was a great NYC character. I often told him that I came back to his classes because I missed the Doug Stern Show. There was a solid group of us who met in his classes that still hang out and train together or just socialize. Doug was good at making everyone feel comfortable, and helping anyone regardless of skill level. I will miss the following: "find your left hand...you have a left hand, right?"...."Open your left hip...hip hand, hip hand....are you learning disabled?". I hated hearing the news of his passing. I have been on the phone all afternoon reminisicing about him. He will be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Reflecting on what an impact Doug made on those who've met him, AND those who haven't, is a testimony to how great Doug is.

One of Doug's greatest talents was making difficult things seem so easy, and he did it in such a unique way.

Doug Stern is great because he is ___ DOUG STERN...

Deepest sympathy for the Stern Family.

~Daniel G. (NY/NJ)

One more time...

"Daniel???? These are your eyes and this is your left hand!!! I want you to SEE your left hand enter the water!!!" (Doug Stern @ Columbia Prep Pool)

"Where is your left foot? Yes!! On your left leg! Now make it kick!!!" ~ (Doug Stern @ Columbia Prep School Pool)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to your family.

Doug was such a great person to have around here. Always offering tips and advice without ever soliciting anything.

He will be greatly missed.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern - Memorial details [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A memorial will be held in honor of

Doug Stern

Thursday June 28
1 – 3 pm

Plaza Jewish Community Chapel
630 Amsterdam Avenue @ 91st Street
NYC
http://www.plazajewishcommunitychapel.org/

Friends and family will be gathering immediately following the memorial at

2373 Broadway btw 86th and 87th Streets
3rd floor Duplex room

In lieu of flowers, you may wish to make a donation in honor of Doug to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center:

https://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/60052.cfm?ContentFor=Special

Person being honored: Doug Stern

Program/Area of research: Kidney Cancer

Lynn’s name: Lynn Chapman-Stern

Lynn’s email: midwif28@yahoo.com

Address:
Lynn Chapman-Stern
700 Columbus Ave., Apt 9J
New York, NY 10025

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Cleo - like many on this forum I never had the chance to meet you Dad but gained a great deal of knowledge from him. Our prayers are with you and your family. Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug will be greatly missed. His positive presence was a great asset to slowtwitch and the triathlon and swimming communities. He was a cheerful teacher. Doug personally provided a great deal of guidance to me through his posts and personal messages. I can only imagine the magnitude the loss this kind of person would have your family. My condolences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo and the Stern family,

Only knew Doug through reading his posts here, but he had the "lightbulb" way of explaining things. You know, the kind where you read his post and said...."Duh, now I get it!" The best part is that he was willing to freely share that gift and explain, often in reply to followup questions, with extreme patience. That kind of selflessness is not seen too much these days, but he always had it.

Deepest condolences to your family and friends from our family.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

It is a loss for all of us. Doug was a tremendous person, a phenominal motivator and teacher.
He will truly be missed by many, myself included.

I am glad to have met him and known him, I am all the richer for the experience.

-Mike B.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please,accept my condolences. Altough I did not know him personally I always felt close to him since I was a member of Slowtwitch for the last two years.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so very sorry. Doug was one of us. And we will all miss him.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo, I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a significant loss the tri community has suffered this day. In my opinion, Doug contributed more value to this site than any other single member; he didn't post unless he had something real to say. He was relentless in his pursuit of perfection and was never selfish with his wisdom.

Where ever you are Doug, I hope you've found that perfect swim stroke.

You will be missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad, sad day. I will remember Doug as a kind person, always ready to share his knowledge, ideas and opinions in the most unselfish way.
My deepest sympathies to you and all your family.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took several classes with Doug, he taught me to swim well and be comfortable in the water and he did it with a sense of humor and a tough
discipline at the same time. Doug's familiar matra, "David get off the wall!" is forever ingrained in my memory. So is Doug, We will miss him greatly. My thoughts to his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo,
You probably don't remember me; I waved hi to you each time you buzzed me into Columbia Prep’s pool. I took several of your dad's swim courses and learned to swim faster and injury-free under his tutelage. I will always remember him as a very enthusiastic, funny and wise person.

One time in particular, I had a really really bad day at work. So bad that I just wanted to go home and cry, not swim. He told me that once I walked into the pool area, the rest of the day is behind me and that while I’m in his class, I am in a ‘safe environment.’ After that lesson, I walked out with a smile, which I didn’t think I could manage just two hours prior. On top of this, he suggested three people from his swimming classes I can get in touch with for other job opportunities. And he even gave me valuable life advice. He was so selfless, good-hearted and giving. This is just one example of how amazing your dad was, and there are thousands of people out there who could list more.

My heart goes out to your whole family. This is very very sad news. I, like the rest of Doug’s friends and fans, believed that Doug will make it through and will be making jokes for many years to come. My condolences.
Last edited by: lmr235: Jun 25, 07 20:31
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [lmr235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cleo,
Words cannot express my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I knew Doug for 14 years and he has been a big part of my life.
Doug took what could have just been a class and nurtured a community. He knew everyone's name and what our latest injury was. And
most importantly, got us to laugh about it. I have made very close friends in his classes over the years and have seen you and Zac grow up.
I will miss him terribly.
Ellen[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said, I think about Doug's posts every time I go to the pool. We will all miss him very much. I wish I had had the honor to meet him.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our profound condolences to the Stern family. I only knew Doug from this forum, but even so, I watched him touch lives. I would very much like to have met him.

The Fanchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Kind regards,
josef
Quote Reply

Prev Next