Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My condolences to you and your family. As requested by Tom D. I am sticking your post on top and unsticking his.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo-

I'm very sorry to hear this. I had the great opportunity to meet Doug in Burlington, VT for a clinic. What an amazing guy he was!!! He will be rememebered.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My deepest condolences.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only knew Doug from his posts here. Whenever he posted I always read them as they were invaluable, well written, and extremely helpful. I am so very sorry for your loss.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear this. Condolences to your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo,

You have my deepest sympothies. I never met your father, but his deep water running advice helped me last year when I had a leg injury. His swim tips are remembered everytime I swim. I passed his advice along to my wife who went from an uncomfortable swimmer, to very at ease swimming now. My own father has recieved some of Doug's advice also. Be proud of him and remember he touched thousands of lives for the better.

At any given time in a pool, somewhere, someone is remembering Doug Stern.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry, our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Kind regards,

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing. I didn't know Doug and probably wouldn't have recognized him if I tripped over him. But, my initial reaction the the Subject heading was...Oh no! My sincerest condolances go out to Dougs family and friends. My prayers will also be sent as well. Rest easy Doug! You're home! We'll all see you in due time. Bruce Gennari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have the pleasure of meeting your father but he sounded like someone who was blessed with a talent for communicating, sharing, instructing and teaching one of his passions to others. My condolences go out to your family. Great teachers are often one of society's most underappreciated resources and I regret that I was never one of your father's students. Please take some comfort in knowing that he positively influenced hundreds if not thousands of people.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you locked this, rather than stuck it...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooops, sorry Cleo...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. Doug touched the lives of so many people. Many like me who had never met him. He will be truly missed.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's okay, I fixed it... This one is stuck and unlocked, Demerly's is now unstuck.

Also, let me add my condolences to the Stern Family. Though I never met Doug, I enjoyed his posts here on SlowTwitch a great deal, and I know of many, many, many triathletes and swimmers in the NY area (and beyond) who benefitted greatly from his guidance. He will be missed.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to you and your family and to all who knew Doug. Just by reading the subject lines in Doug's posts here, I could tell he was a positive force. Take care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Cleo,
I grieve with and for you and you family and am just grateful for the wisdom, patience, inspiration, and kindness that Doug has shared so freely with me and all those who have known him.
Take care,
Erica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss. My condolances to you and your family.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug will be missed. He touched so many lives through his coaching and his willingness to share his knowledge. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleo and the Stern family,

I had the honor of both swimming and biking with Doug - we frequently rode at the same time during the summer and would join each other for a few laps. I know he greatly adored his contribution to triathlon but most of our conversations were of family, specifically his wife and children, you were all his true joy in this life, of that there can be no doubt. I was due to visit him at home after his hospitalization but unfortunately never got the chance. Like everyone here, i am deeply saddened and shocked and the only consolation I can offer is this, your father's absence is only physical, we will all think of him whether swimming, cycling or just dealing with life. His "sternisms", his sense of humour and forthrightness have served as an example in my own life and I know that his love and wisdom will help guide you and the rest of your family as you deal with this difficult time. There is no balm for loss but there are memories, and for that we are all blessed that Doug has created so many wonderful ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a point of reading everything that Doug wrote here on ST. I could always count on him to be knowledgeable and I respected him a lot for that but I respected him even more for the modest and polite way that he expressed himself. He just seemed like a great guy.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Grant

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though I am a decent swim by most standards, I always read every thread Doug wrote on swimming and swim skills. I believe I never ever posted a response, but I read every one of his. I think there are literally thousands of us in that boat. And yes, he had a few drills that helped me as well, to which I have in turn passed on to other people who have never heard of Doug Stern.

I have shown my wife (a non-triathlete) pictures and reviews of the Curacao swim trip. We agreed when our daughter was older, we would get down there in a few years. I know I would have learned more about swimming better, and that we would have had a great trip. From experience, I know that I respond well to Dougs' type of coaching.

Given the thousands that Doug has coached in person, and the thousands more that he has helped via the Internet, I would say that the man has created a legacy of considerable weight. I would be highly pleased if I could one day think that I have done one-tenth as well. He also handled this last challenge with amazing grace and determination.

I truly regret not having met Doug in person. But, I am pleased that he has left something of his spirit for us, you and your spirit as I read from previous posts and threads.

May you and your familys' pain be brief, and the celebration of Dougs' achievements and accomplishments be long.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my - this is terrible news!

I am so very sorry for your loss...

I was never fortunate enough to meet Doug in person, but I did get to know a little bit of him via this forum. Doug had a passion for life and for teaching that shone through in each and every one of his posts. The fact that he will be missed by many who never met him speaks volumes to his character.

You and your family will be in my thoughts...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to hear this. Having met him in NY and in Curacao, I am deeply saddened. He was such a nice guy, so interested in helping others. This really comes as a shock.

My condolences to you and your family, as well as his extended family here and everywhere.

He will be missed.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear this. He seemed like a great guy from what I saw on here.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern's Passing [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frustrating thing about this loss is that it is hard to articulate what a great guy and unique character Doug was.

Speaking somewhat selfishly, this hurts because we lost so much.

I have been thinking throughout the day that I wish peace and healing on the Stern family- a wonderful group that are so open and kind and fun.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry. Doug was such a wonderful, vibrant person--a true enthusiast through and through. He inspired so many through his coaching and through his example. It's hard to imagine the world without him. It certainly will be hard to imagine the neighborhood without him! I can't count the times I've bumped into him in the street--but I can count the number of times I bumped into him and he was happy: every time! He always made me happy, too. He will be greatly missed.
--Stacy Creamer
Quote Reply

Prev Next