Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many hrs/miles per week for fast IM bike split?
Quote | Reply
It seems that if you want to run a fast marathon --stand-alone--i.e., sub 3 hrs--you have to run minimum 60-70 miles/wk. First, what is the equivalent bike time as a sub 3 hours stand alone marathon and second, how many hrs or miles typically do you need to ride per week to get there?
Last edited by: aerobike: May 14, 07 21:35
Quote Reply
Re: How many hrs/miles per week for fast IM bike split? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IMCDA last year (my first IM) I had a 5:30 bike split. Admittedly not the fastest split out there, but I probably didn't train the bike enough. Over my 30 week trianing program, I averaged only 9 hours a week on the bike (biggest week was 13 hours on the bike, smallest week was 6). I had a lot of 8, 9, and 10 hour weeks (about 160-200 miles a week). If I were to do another IM, I would bike MORE. After all, MORE IS MORE right?

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hrs/miles per week for fast IM bike split? [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the equivilant to a 3 hour Ironman Marathon is, but I'd imagine to bike it you'd have to be 300-400 miles a week consistant, with a couple 500-600 mile weeks thrown in for kicks.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hrs/miles per week for fast IM bike split? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would a 3hr marathon equate to a sub 5 IM bike?? difficult question. aerodynamics, the course confuses an already difficult question.

However I think the only thing that will make you ride fast is around 200miles a week. Week in week out all year round for about 3 years
eventualy you will adapt to this volume and then you can start applying more running and once you can run steadily without feeling
much fatigue from your 200 miles then I recon you have cracked it.

Theres no short cuts am afraid, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest week prior to IMF 03' was 5 weeks out at 315 miles, then 250, 242, 175, 100 leading up to the race. My bike split was 4:53.. You can't just pile on the miles and expect to go fast come race time. There has to be a lot of structured quality work in there if you want to go fast.

http://wardmoya.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I'm not sure that measuring your workload in miles or hours is really the best metric. IOW, you could ride 14 hours and really not be 'training' all that much, depending on the intensity.

Riding a fast IM bike is really a function of 3 things:

1. High threshold power

2. Good Aerodynamics

3. Being able to meet the endurance requirements of the event.

In terms of 'hours', I feel I've raised my threshold power as high as I can get it, and I'm training for some pretty long events, on significantly fewer hours (6-11) or miles (120-230), than some of the other respondents are suggesting, and I think it's silly to through out an arbitrary number of miles or hours to answer the question.

In cycling it depends a lot on the composition of the training--and it's possible to carry a pretty high training load with this sort of 'hours' and 'miles'. IOW, if you want to ride a faster bike, I'd focus on raising your threshold power, not 'getting more miles'.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hrs/miles per week for fast IM bike split? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What roady said. I think for IM distance people really overlook the "high threshold power" part of the equation. This is the hardest piece to build up. The endurance part is easy to get and it's the last thing to erode as well.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply