Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Case in point, when KJ was having trouble with getting the details right for a possible VA race, he canned it, rather than putting on something sub-par. Sounds like the opposite of what happened last weekend (last minute course changes, permits, etc.) That's why KJ can fill a weekend with 1500 athletes for a new race.

That is a case-in-point for his execution, not his brand. He was smart enough to realize when to fold, instead of going forward. His brand did not carry any weight on the success of that event, his ability to create an event did.

No, it wouldn't be any different if the parent company's name was different, as KJ - and most all triathlons in this world - attest each event stands on its own.

The dozen people on this thread are not the majority of the triathlon cutomers out there. Clearly if they were 101 would be much better attended. Those "non-savvy lemmings" as the holier-than-thou's slag, are the customers, who make or break events, and I can't imagine that more than a handful at any race gives a rip - or even knows - the name of the parent company that is putting on the race. People go to races for the value of the event (distance, location, size, calendar, etc.) not some "brand". RD's who are developing a series based on primarily developing a "brand" are completely off. 1990's Bud Light Series, anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not a shill and I totally agree.....regardless of what people say about M dot, they have the numbers and the other races dont...thats a fact.....I believe the size of the field is very important to potential future racers....maybe not you, but it does to others for this type of event....101 and the others have not figured out a way to put on a race to get people to enter in numbers any where close to the same numbers...they have failed to do so....thems the facts....the market has spoken....

ultimately, we can all speculate as to why mdot gets numbers while others dont but RD's need to figure this out to compete with m dot but so fat they havent....
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One race and "the market has spoken"?? Damn!

And like someone said above, IM isn't a race for most. It's an event.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
call it whatever you want but it has the numbers.........
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Ironboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
               This thread is interesting and all that but I can't believe after all this talk about starting a new race series nobody apart from Ziebart and GG have even responded to Joe Dixon let alone ask him how he came to start his super-successful tri series here in B.C.If anyone knows what it is like to try and capture the Tri-geek market it is Joe and Sarah.Not only do his races fill super quickly but he has been awarded the National Half Iron Champs at The Desert Half Iron in July in only it's third year.Not bad when you consider there are now three brand new HIM's and the Victoria half trying to pull from the same athlete pool.Perhaps we need some words wisdom from Joe and Sarah on how to get a new triathlon venture going with full fields and happy athletes.BTW best of luck to Joe and Sarah for thier new race in Cultus Lake,B.C on Sunday.I hope the water is warm enough for everyone.
For those who don't know Joe,he is the RD of that gong show in Penticton at the end of August and yes I am shamelessly sucking up!
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is don andrews' old race, the old english bay VIT back and going, by any chance? i used to really dig that race. one year a bunch of us made it a two-fer, doing the VIT and then a week after doing the Reebok sorta-kinda world champs in Kelowna.

i like vancouver. if i had a good reason to go up there and race i might do it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many have signed up for clear lake? How many days left until the race? How many people cancelled other events they
had signed up for to do this 101 race? But, you can be the first. Yep, glad it is not my money bank rolling this series.
And where are all the ST folks that bragged this was the next coming? Maybe we should go back and quote these few?
Now, maybe I will eat crow in the future, but I know where I am putting my money.

I liked the comment out IM being a dream, and event. I have done my dream IM. I have no desire to do an IM as an triathlon.
Too much work and risk to my real life.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    That event in English Bay was awesome and Stanley Park was a beautiful location but sadly this year after a major storm wrecked a huge amount of the park there will be no access for pedestrians let alone athletes this year.The half iron in September should be great but the Spanish Banks/UBC area,while nice,isn't the same as racing around Stanley Park.
It's funny to think that Kelowna used to be at the centre of the Triathlon world.Nobody believes me when I tell them that there used to be a pro team based there 20 years ago.Guess I'm showing my age but I'd love to see one certain Julieanne White,Carolyn Hubbard,Lynn Macalister and "the twins" race again.Rumor has it we may see a past Kona Champ line up for the Apple Tri in Kelowna the week before IMC this year.
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And where are all the ST folks that bragged this was the next coming? Maybe we should go back and quote these few?
Now, maybe I will eat crow in the future,

I was one of them and I am right here....and I was wrong.....

I still believe the distance could attract a following and be very successful but I believe they have poisoned the water with their first race due to poor pre race execution/marketing and by over reaching...its a shame.....I think someones analogy that they should have tried to develop an Apple race with potential for more in the future to M dots Microsoft but they missed the mark bad...I wonder how much they lost on the first race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always said the distance does not have enough draw to have such a large series expectation. I may be wrong,
but again, when I have yet to see on person on ST say they cancelled a race to do the 101, does not seem it can be
that big of a draw.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Last edited by: h2ofun: May 9, 07 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you want to edit that first sentence as it makes NO sense at all. You are a distance?

>>I have always been the distance does not have enough draw to have such a large series expectation.<<

Why would people cancel already made plans? Now you are just being silly.

This thread is now ridiculous.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets see, I cancelled my IMcda spot, and ate big time money so I could go to AG Nationals.
So, if 101 was such a big deal, why as not at least one person done something like I did?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lets see, I cancelled my IMcda spot, and ate big time money so I could go to AG Nationals.
So, if 101 was such a big deal, why as not at least one person done something like I did?

Dave

Because it's not the double-o distance of course... ;)

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< why as not at least one person done something like I did? >>

Because nobody else is quite like you, Dave. They broke the mold...

And we all thank our lucky stars daily for that very fact.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "but I believe they have poisoned the water with their first race due to poor pre race execution/marketing and by over reaching"

Good Point! Another big negative about Bradenton - when 101 goes to a new site and gives them them participation numbers like "1,500" athletes, will the new sites ask for the contacts in Bradenton?

If I was on a TDC or CVB council, I would ask them for contacts in Bradenton and then call these contacts about the event. 101 not only shot themself in the foot with small numbers at the event financially, but this will also turn into a large hurdle in the future with new sites.

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Lets see, I cancelled my IMcda spot, and ate big time money so I could go to AG Nationals.

Dave[/reply]

You have got to be kidding. Nobody has come onto ST and said they cancelled their IM race for a 101, so that must mean that nobody in the world has? Right...
I agree with Cathy, this thread has become ridiculous.
Last edited by: Markus Mucus: May 9, 07 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looking for one. Is anyone out there?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone else on ST that cancelled their IM to do nationals?
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 9, 07 21:31
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: May 9, 07 21:12
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Then I guess I wouldn't have met you at my first triathlons and Ironmans. Am I the only one, or does deciding on doing an event based on the numbers of a different race, seem shallow and ridicilous??????? I can see that too many could be a negative, but too few???

I don't feel bad saying that I think an event with 800 people or 1000 people or even 2500 people is more attractive to me than an event with 100 people. It provides more atmosphere, along with more competition in the age group. Maybe it's not the "hard core" answer that people here on ST want to see, but I don't care. I'd rather have 50 in my age group than 5, and I'd rather take in the atmosphere while I'm at it.

Triathlon should be a fun experience, and having more than 100 athletes around you at a race is fun. Running a marathon with 15,000 others is fun. Having thousands of people line an IM course to cheer on the competitors until midnight is fun. It has to do with atmosphere, and to me that is a determining factor. Sorry if it's not the "hard core" answer. Sorry if it's "shallow and ridiculous", but hey...I'm just an average Joe, and I personally think it's an enjoyable experience to be at a race that has more than 5 people in my age group.
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Then I guess I wouldn't have met you at my first triathlons and Ironmans. Am I the only one, or does deciding on doing an event based on the numbers of a different race, seem shallow and ridicilous??????? I can see that too many could be a negative, but too few???

I don't feel bad saying that I think an event with 800 people or 1000 people or even 2500 people is more attractive to me than an event with 100 people.
me too...bigger events offer more bang for the buck because there is more happening...and i am not talking about food and swag and cost of entry, all of which seem incredibly 'shallow and ridiculous' to plan a race around (but you recall were a major selling points of the 101 proponents)...it is nice to do all types of events, but i definitely like the big ones because the human equation adds so much more dimension to the day...the contortions people make to feel themselves elite are pathetically transparent...everyone else in the sport are stupid shallow posing lemming losers and only those who do small events are worthy...there is no sport where people are as insecure as triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bradenton.com/...usiness/16217121.htm

Manatee lands major triathlon

The May event is expected to generate millions for the local economy SARA KENNEDY Herald Staff Writer

HOLMES BEACH - A triathlon to be held in downtown Bradenton and Palmetto in May is expected to attract up to 1,500 world-class competitors and create an economic impact of nearly $2.6 million, the Tourist Development Council was told Monday.

The event would take place May 6, said council member Joe Pickett, who is also president of the Florida Gulf Coast Sports Commission, which promotes economic development in Manatee County through amateur, professional and recreational sports.

The triathlon will be sponsored by One O One of Worthington, Ohio, which is also staging similar competitions in five other cities, each featuring a $50,000 professional prize purse. The series culminates with a world championship in November, and will expand worldwide in 2008, according to One O One.

Bradenton's triathlon will feature a 1.86-mile swim in the Manatee River, an 80.6-mile bike, and an 18.6-mile run. The course will wind through downtown Bradenton and Palmetto and Manatee County, a total of 101.6 miles, Pickett said during a meeting at Holmes Beach City Hall.

"This is a huge event," he told the council, which congratulated him on snagging the triathlon when plans for it in Sarasota suddenly fell through last week.

The triathlon has the potential, if the area does a good job of staging it, of becoming a "multiyear deal," he explained. However, it will require closing streets and bridges downtown in Bradenton, organizing a banquet, and a myriad of other logistics that will depend on efficient coordination among city and county officials.

"What we need to do is embrace this event as a world-class event," he told the council, which quickly passed a resolution backing it and pledging whatever official support is needed to make it a success. Pickett abstained from voting.

"I just want to congratulate you. It's a great, great coup for us," said council member David Teitelbaum.

One O One's management team flew to Bradenton on Thursday to see the area after negotiations with Sarasota fell through, he said.

The event came together "in less than 100 hours," Pickett added. "They looked at three to four other places, and it was whoever could get it done."
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Kiri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"HOLMES BEACH - A triathlon to be held in downtown Bradenton and Palmetto in May is expected to attract up to 1,500 world-class competitors and create an economic impact of nearly $2.6 million, the Tourist Development Council was told Monday.

The event would take place May 6, said council member Joe Pickett, who is also president of the Florida Gulf Coast Sports Commission, which promotes economic development in Manatee County through amateur, professional and recreational sports. "

Wonder how Joe is spinning this to the his sports commission and county commissioners after the event had 1,400 less then promised! I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty sure that 101 will not be back to Bradenton in 2008. Z
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][b]"HOLMES BEACH - [/b]A triathlon to be held in downtown Bradenton and Palmetto in May is expected to attract up to 1,500 world-class competitors and create an economic impact of nearly $2.6 million, the Tourist Development Council was told Monday.

The event would take place May 6, said council member Joe Pickett, who is also president of the Florida Gulf Coast Sports Commission, which promotes economic development in Manatee County through amateur, professional and recreational sports. "

Wonder how Joe is spinning this to the his sports commission and county commissioners after the event had 1,400 less then promised! I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty sure that 101 will not be back to Bradenton in 2008. Z[/reply]

I will also go out on a limb and say that math is not your strong point. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: We can all complain about IMNA, but... [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - I was using the finisher numbers not the registration numbers in my math! So it was really 1,412 less then promised! Z
Quote Reply

Prev Next