Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!!
Quote | Reply
I was going to sign up for this early half outside KC, but it's NOT A HALF!!!

Race Directors, please don't call your race what it's not!

From the race website:

May 6th, 2007
Lake Olathe, Olathe, Kansas

The day is here! The Big O website is live! On this site you will find general event information. We will be continually updating the site as details are finalized. We have posted proposed course distances on the maps page. We are currently working on the finalization of the courses. We will be extending the early bird registration price for the Big O until February 15th, 2007. The Big O will offer three events in 2007. We will host a Half Iron Distance Triathlon, Half Iron Distance Duathlon & Sprint Distance Triathlon. We are very excited to place a Half Iron Distance event back on the KC Metro Area Calendar. Thanks for supporting our events.
Course Distances:
*All courses and distances are subject to change. The distances listed are pending per city and county approval.
Big O Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Swim: 1.2 Miles
Bike: 51.15 Miles
Run: 12.56 Miles (Each Lap is 6.28 Miles)
Big O Half Iron Distance Duathlon
Run #1: 1 Mile
Bike: 51.15 Miles
Run #2: 12.56 Miles (Each Lap is 6.28 Miles)
Big O Sprint Distance Triathlon
Swim: .75 Kilometers
Bike: 11.51 Miles
Run: 4.03 Miles

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was shocked to see that this is pretty common. Sometimes there just is no way to get the distance I guess.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but it is not just HIM's. I have seen Oly distance races be off. Some are for good reasons like construction, etc.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose they should call it a "long course" race, not a 1/2 IM, but why would that stop you from doing the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that they should probably not call it half iron.

On the other hand, I would have a lot of respect for them if they measure the distances accurately, whatever they are. The majority of "half-irons" I've done I think have had short swims.

Stopped Clock

Correct twice a day.
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, I would have a lot of respect for them if they measure the distances accurately, whatever they are. The majority of "half-irons" I've done I think have had short swims

I was thinking just that same thing---at least they're honestly measuring the course and advertising them. But agree, shouldn't be called a "Half Iron"...perhaps the "Almost Half Iron Because This Was All We Could Get Approval For" Triathlon and take the distinction of the longest race name in the world?

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I respect them for being honest about the distance.

The reason I wont do it is because my goal this season is to pr a 1/2 IM. I was going to give myself 3 good chances to do so. I'm not racing hard if it's not going to count. Anyway, for the money, investment etc, I'm just not sure it's worth it.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens if you somehow get into the Kona Lottery and have to validate your entry with at least a HIM race....even though its a "HIM race" but the precise distances are alittle less, does this not validate....Im sure there have been races that have validated Kona which have short swims, bikes, or runs in the past. Is the athlete penalized for a "short course"????? JUst wonderin"

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [rockchalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in that boat last year. I was told (by the folks who told me I won the lottery) that I had to do at least a half IM in their series in order to validate my slot. I found out later, that they would have probably allowed a 1/2 IM outside of their series. But they got what they intended, a "forced" entry fee into one of their races, and more $ in their pockets. Don't get me wrong, I would have paid twice that amount & flown anywhere to validate my slot.

Enough of that.

I am doing this Big O race. And yes, I will consider it a 1/2 IM.
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drove this course last week and I'm riding it today. Trust me, it will "feel" like the full distance. It's a tough course especially the last 5 miles of bike and the run....is really brutal. Also, I don't know a whole lot about about KLM (although they do sponsor my club...http://www.kcmultisport.com) but some folks claim their events aren't managed the best. My only real issue (apart from some of the roads and how freaking hard the run is going to be) is the transition area. It's tiny...I mean real tiny. No idea where people will park either. Far from ideal, but I'm glad there is a "nearly" 1/2 distance race near by...great fitness check for Pigman in Aug.

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's pretty stupid to call that a half-iron race. Would it be so bad for them to call it a triathlon? I did a "half-iron" once where the race director told us at the pre race meeting that the bike course was 53 miles. Then on race day it was actually 51.5. Like he didn't know that the day before?

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard the course is a tough one...I am also doing this race. I did the Midwest Meltdown two years ago which was a half IM distance put on by the same race management co. They had a lot of issues last year with courses not being well marked which they have vowed to change this season...we'll see. I agree they should probably just call it "long course" though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree with most of the points raised already.
they shouldn't call it a half-iron.
but at least they're honest.

in 2006 one of my resolutions was to finish a half iron. the one i signed up for was like the incredible shrinking triathlon

you can see my thread about it here if you want. adverstise it as a half and then when all the training was done (and the money spent) start telling people the distances. except for the run, where i finished thinking i'd really kicked but! (it was around 11.5).
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone cares: Here is the report on the bike course.

Hope they clean the road out of the transition because it's got loose gravel everywhere and there are a couple tight turns leaving the lake area. There is a long steady hill over the next two miles but nothing too painfull. After that the course is actually pretty decent for the next 40 miles. Lots of up and down (but no monsters) as well as flat areas. I flatted near the turnaround over Hillsdale lake. Lucky for me I was prepared. I stayed in the small ring until the turn. I intended on going easy but there was a steady 15-20 mph wind and really not much shelter from it. Took me about 1:10 to get to the turn. Prevailing wind will be out of the south and until the turn...you are going south almost the entire time. I went to the big gear on the way back and took advantage of the tailwind. technically, this is a long ride for me. I don't go over 40 miles very often and I was hoping to avg around 20 mph with an easy effort for 2:30 ride. I accidentally hammered on the way back (which is considerably longer), HR was way up but I was enjoying the speed too much. Last 5 miles are tough. Long stretch of crappy chip-seal pavement with dirt clogs from the tractors all over the place. There are 3 hills in the last 5 miles that are brutal. My legs were pretty tired but those last few hills were brutal....really a tough way to end the ride. I planned on running one lap of the run course but I was wrecked and the ride took much longer than I planned. Not counting the time I spent changing the tire, I did it in 2:43. I wasn't going race speed but I was danm tired. 2 laps of the run (including 2 insane hills) will hurt like hell....I promise. Here is my HR and elevation data in case your interested.

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if anyone cares, here is a report on the swim course - COLD!

Damn, it has been in the 20's & 30's at night, with daytime highs in the 40's the last week. We better hope for some 80's to 90's in the next few weeks to warm that water up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't think they could use the word Iron??????
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
               The word iron is not a trademark.The term "Ironman" in relation to a triathlon is.You can say iron dist,half iron dist,double iron dist etc just as long as it's not Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those looking for a PR on the bike leg of this course, good luck. The race directors decided to have the bike course cross the busiest rail line in the State of Kansas approximately two miles into the course. On average a train passes through this area approximately every five minutes, and these aren't your run of the mill short trains, were talking several mile long freight trains. Its not uncommon to have to sit and wait for five to ten minutes for a passing train. Also, don't be surprised if one of those trains has to stop, blocking the crossing for an extended period of time. I should know, I live less than a mile from this particular crossing (As I type this out two trains are crossing by going into opposite directions). I was going to do this race until I saw their decision on the bike course. This might seem minor to some, but I sure don't feel comfortable spotting my competition 5-10 minutes on the bike leg, which would be a fast course if not for the trains. The race director for this race has a rep for not planning the most organized races, athletes beware. Also, I have lived in Olathe for 20+ years I there is no way in hell I would swim in that lake. Not to long ago it had been deemed unsafe for swimming by public health officials. For those in the area go across the state line and sign up for an Ultramax. I personally have not done one, but from what I here Mark Livesay puts on a well organized race.
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [PaddyO'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaddyO,
I won't be participating in the BigO mainly because I have watched KLM take over the local KS races and put on crap. I can't put my finger on what is exactly wrong with the races... but they always have a "bare minimum" feeling to them. Nobody seems like they want to be there....lots of hype and no soul...kind of like IM but without the delivery. It is really a shame...especially the Lawrence,KS race...that is an awesome course just waiting for it's return to one of the small great races. I don't know if you have done any of Mark Livesay's races but they are exceptional. I have raced Mark's races in the good and bad and I always leave his races with a smile...he is a credit to the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UltraMax people first tried 1romMax and it would not fly. I think it is trademarked
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
             Many years ago the good gentlemen at WTC tried to stop the Australian Surf Life-Saving Association from using the term Ironman for the feature event on the SLS calendar.The surf Ironman consists of swim-ski-paddle and sometimes run.This event is considered the most prestigious event in the sport and many Aussie Ironmen are national icons.WTC was told in the most polite way to fuck-off and not mess with an event that began in the 1960's and if they were so upset by the use of the term in Surf Lifesaving then they could take their little triathlon in Forster and shove it!WTC backed off and now both sports co-exsist happily with no tradmark problems as they are different sports.Maybe we Aussies are just better at standing up to bullies than most countries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take the disenting view.

The course should showcase the terrain/course design and not be confined by the typical races distances.

You can call it whatever you want. I don't know of "this" course, but it always seems silly to have to do a tiny loop through a parking lot or take a shortcut off the trail just the satisfy the distance paradigm.
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look... we can cry about the distance and / or conditions all day. Do the race or don't. It's a long-ish distance race in or around KC and it's probably going to have cold water and wind on the bike. Use it as a hard workout if nothing less. I've seen the course and it is hard, it's early in the season, the roads are so-so and yes....there are train tracks so it's possible you could enjoy an unscheduled break.....but what else are you going to do that weekend.

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree that they should probably not call it half iron.

On the other hand, I would have a lot of respect for them if they measure the distances accurately, whatever they are. The majority of "half-irons" I've done I think have had short swims.

Stopped Clock

I think short swims should be the norm, that way we all start the race feeling great
Last edited by: pokey: Apr 9, 07 22:17
Quote Reply
Re: "BIG O HALF IRON DISTANCE" race in Olathe, KS, ONLY 64.91 miles!!! [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just rode the bike course today and drove the run course. This is going to be one tough course. The only other course I can think to compare it too is the Ultramax Innsbrook Course... but I believe that the Big O is a more difficult course.

If you are doing the race and haven't seen the course yet.. at the very least drive it... The end of the bike is murder and could ruin your entire race if you push too hard on the front half. The run is extremely hill also... so be prepared to be toast.
Last edited by: kakekiko: Apr 21, 07 15:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next