Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rollers and Clipless Pedals
Quote | Reply
I just received a new set of rollers for X-mas. The manufacturer enclosed a DO's and DON'Ts list which greatly surprised me by including:

Quote:

DON'T Ride with clipless pedals. If you begin to fall, you will often need to catch yourself on rollers quicker than you can unclip.

I've never ridden rollers, should I change out my pedals before I start, or is this just a case of lawyers run amok?

Will I be able to ride with clipless pedals once I become more experienced?

Any other getting started with rollers hints?

thanks,

Bill from NH
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [bamsphd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't ride clipless pedals on the road then.. you might hit the ground before you clip out!
HAHAHA....

Lawyers gone amok is right.

EVERYONE rides clipless pedals on rollers. And you know what? You'll probably fall off them at one point.

Use a doorway or some sort of pole or other device to grab onto when learning. Eventually you'll get the hang of it....

When you do fall... DON't stick out your arm! Keep it in tight and try to land on your side.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto except for the doorway thing. Ever see anyone loose it in a doorway on rollers and go down? Full "Jackass" material. I recommend a sturdy counter top or bench surface about hip level you can rest your dominant hand on the get up to wheel speed. Then it kind of gyro stabilizes. Our claim to fame is we can teach anybody to ride rollers in 15 minutes (except Johnny Knoxville). I'll give you $5 if you can ride them the first time with Powercranks. Stick with it, be safe, Happy Holidays!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely lawyers run amok.

Enjoy your new rollers. Don't stare at the drums. Pick a point out in front of you and relax. You'll be able to ride no-hands, removing jerseys, etc. in no time.

They can be even more fun when you line up a bunch of pairs of rollers side-by-side and ride with friends...A little bump here and there really keeps you on your toes;-)

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I just received a new set of rollers for X-mas. The manufacturer enclosed a [i]DO's and DON'Ts[/i] list which greatly surprised me by including: [/reply]

Don't do like my friend did with his new rollers. He lives in a 3rd floor apartment. Yep, you guessed it -- he put the rollers on his balcony. Lost his concentration once and damn near went over the rail.

His rollers are in his living room now.

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice.

I tried them tonight for about 10 minutes, with a good solid bar to grab onto on one side, and a pile of cushions on the other. I made it up to 34 seconds, and never needed the cushions. Though my hand was never more than 6 inches from the bar!

I found a very cute Bob Mina article on rollers. Try the link http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=6

It that doesn't work, you are looking for his Jan 30'th, 2001 article titled "Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' ..."

thanks again,

-Bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of suggestions.. Make sure to have plenty of air in your tires and don't use any added resistance put your bike in the big chain ring and pedal pretty hard when you feel like you're losing your balance is counterintuitive as it sounds pedal harder and the gyroscopic effect will keep you from falling over.

Sometimes holding on to objects or doorways just makes things worse because your body weight ends up leaning over onto the thing holding you up.

I cheat a little bit and use a product called emotion rollers that are a bit more fool proof. I have used them for years and prefer them to a smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Couple of suggestions.. Make sure to have plenty of air in your tires and don't use any added resistance put your bike in the big chain ring and pedal pretty hard when you feel like you're losing your balance is counterintuitive as it sounds pedal harder and the gyroscopic effect will keep you from falling over.

Sometimes holding on to objects or doorways just makes things worse because your body weight ends up leaning over onto the thing holding you up.

I cheat a little bit and use a product called emotion rollers that are a bit more fool proof. I have used them for years and prefer them to a smart trainer.

This is a 17 year old post. I think he's probably figured it out by now, or he crashed his rollers.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing after ~17 years that he has probably learned how to ride his rollers....

@Kid

ETA: Jason beat me to it!
Last edited by: atkid: Mar 13, 19 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and Clipless Pedals [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's truly a question for the ages
Quote Reply