Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's?
Quote | Reply
before it was a tech mecca and before it needed a slogan to keep itself wierd?
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [$2/chuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Places I've been to that remind me of "old Austin" (I was born and raised in Austin and currently live there):
Eugene, OR
Madison, WI
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Places I've been to that remind me of "old Austin" (I was born and raised in Austin and currently live there):
Eugene, OR
Madison, WI
Except they both have winter. :)
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [cray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. there is that. :P
I thought the OP was talking about "feel" of the city...less towards training.
And we DID have winter this year! so glad it's gone, though I think some sunscreen would have been in order yesterday and today.
see you later! :)
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [$2/chuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't put my finger on why, but the first city that popped into my head was Toulouse, in southern France.

Hmmm... not much winter ( I don't think, I was there once in December and am trying to remember), significant alternative population (by French standards), good music scene, pretty laid back. Lots of brick buildings, for what that's worth.

Ok, I guess I can't make that convincing of an argument. Maybe it's just the most Austin-like French city. Or maybe it's becaues every time I think about Austin I think about working at Texas French Bread.

-charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep put sun screen on my bald noggin but didn't put it on my lower leg....I now have strange tan like mid calf where my knee warmer stopped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got sunburnt on my ride on Thursday. I was so happy to be red and tender.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Eugene, OR
Madison, WI
I just got back from Austin - cant say that I thought that Madison is AT ALL like Austin. They both have water a capitol building and running paths...comparison over.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he was saying Madison now is like Austin used to be 10-15 years ago. Not sure if that makes the comparison more valid or not.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeopoliTAN

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
before it was a tech mecca and before it needed a slogan to keep itself wierd?
I have heard that said of Columbia, SC.
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Looks ridiculous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's so special about Austin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the hippie vibe, the attention to health & fitness, the laid back casual atmosphere, the creative types, the water, the mild winters, less people and less jobs. like austin was before it turned into "south dallas". santa fe comes to mind, minus the water part.
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything - Austin is the first city I have been in for a short time that has me sniffing a possible move.

Swim and run venues are cool as hell
Cycling is great - and year round
Great places to eat
Austin TriCyclist is the shit
More hot women around Town lake than you can shake a stick at.
Bunches of Pro's JRA on any given day

I could go on - I do think that your "mid 90's" comparison is flawed - in the 90's was the tech black hole - just Sunday they tried to blow up the never finished Intel tower....didnt put it up, nor blow it up on schedule...

Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Feb 26, 07 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Nothing now.

I take that back. Austin's still cool, but too damn crowded and too yuppy.
Last edited by: $2/chuck: Feb 26, 07 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Nothing now.
So move, where do you work so I can send a resume - I presume that they will need to replace you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense, but aren't you from Chicago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude I didn't even take you to the worlds largest endless pool. Just ask Austin79 that is one of the coolest things here.
Quote Reply
Re: what city now is reminiscent of austin circa mid 90's? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes you did...by the power plant....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Outside Chicago.

50 Minutes from Lake Shore Drive
45 Minutes from the Madison Capitol Square
50 Minutes from Milwaukee
2 minutes from some great riding

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naw the one I am talking about is way out by Lake Travis...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now what is wrong with Chicago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't really get to see all of chicago. Just Wrigley field and "the world" or something like that - saw Jimmy Buffett there 7 or 8 years ago.

What is it that Austin has that Chicago doesn't, except for good weather?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is it that Austin has that Chicago doesn't, except for good weather?

cedar fever, fire ants, scorpions, 10x pic-up bubbas wanting you off the road, "great riding" on 360,620, etc, nimbyism to the nth degree, inability to drive when it is below freezing, some kind of vine like green stuff referred to as grass for yards, more home depots and lowes than you could ever use, ever present whine that it is too hot from co-workers.

It does, however, have a veloway, now that is something every city should have.
Quote Reply

Prev Next