Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheaper to cut an airfoil shape out of styrofoam and tape it to your top tube behind your stem. Or, put one of the vision aero headset spacers behind the stem, and fill the space in between with plasticine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both of those methods would classify as fairings.
Last edited by: duncan: Jan 18, 07 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so is a wheelcover.. i don't think it's illegal in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps not; I'm not au fait with triathlon rules on this.

I've also heard of one of the British cyclists competing in UCI track events with a sawed-off section of trispoke taped behind his stem to smooth the airflow, which somehow the commissaires didn't pick up on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheel covers are an exception to the "fairing" rule because they duplicate a disk, but not quite as well. Adding anything non-structura to the bike like that would be considered a fairing, and thus illegal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Biketechreview.com to see how a wheelcover relates to a disk...

Also, im thinking of making a carbon fairing that a Profile Upfront bottle sits in that takes the air off of the Profile and brings it right up to the headtube. Making that front area/bottle more disc like.

In Reply To:
Wheel covers are an exception to the "fairing" rule because they duplicate a disk, but not quite as well. Adding anything non-structura to the bike like that would be considered a fairing, and thus illegal.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a link to Dan's Hooker article w/ pics of my old bike, including shots of the stem.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../hookers/hooker.html

Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually wheelcovers are considered fairings because they are not allowed in UCI-conformant TTs. You probably don't worry about this because in the USA you guys don't follow those rules yet, as i understand it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
here's a link to Dan's Hooker article w/ pics of my old bike, including shots of the stem.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../hookers/hooker.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that they fairing would have to be longer (bento box size) than the fairings shown in the Hooker thread. Also I would bet money that they fairing used to hold the water on the top tube mentioned in the MIT pod cast would be at least half the length of the top tube. I guess we will not know until we actually see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some new information:

From this article:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/11504.0.html

Kim Blair, director of the MIT wind tunnel offered a presentation on aerodynamic research with bikes. He talked about drag and boundary layers and airflow, followed by how tunnel testing is accomplished at MIT and at other tunnels. When he got to the results section, many in the audience were taken aback by a water-bottle design from MIT graduate student, purportedly able to save 110 seconds over the course of a 40 kilometer time trial.

Now if only we could see this thing and get one.
Last edited by: Bman: Jan 23, 07 11:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the water bottle that FLoyd Landis used in the final TT stage of the TDF last year?, it looked pretty aerodynamic to me.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
110 seconds???? Over a 40k???
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. That is a huge claim. That is why I really want to see this thing and why it would save this much time. From what I have heard, it helps with the flow behind the stem. So if this was the case them why not design the top tube of the bike to actually come up behind the stem and run back to the seattube. I know that other companies have done oval and aero top tubes but maybe after this information they can do it correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about this?

Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The think the ratio is still wrong. I would think that it would have to be about a 3:1 ratio and this is not even close. The concept is good but I would guess that the reason the new water bottle tests so well that it would make a round tube that is 1:1 become more like a 3:1. Just a guess.

Have an oval top tube that is around 70 -75mm tall and 25mm in width (just an example) but with the headset mounting near the bottle of the tube and have the other 2/3 of the top tube just behind the stem and run it back to the seat tube. Intergrated seat clamp and you would have a very smooth transition.

The issue with almost every aero top tube is that they mount the headset at the top of the top tube and not at the bottom to use the top tube as a fairing.

Maybe the new Cervelo P4C (hint hint) can have an aere top tube that flairs up right behind the stem and run back to create the most aero Cervelo ever.

How about incorporating a hydration bladder into the top tube to hold about 750ml.
Last edited by: Bman: Jan 23, 07 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, almost 2 mins is crazy.

I start to get worried when a scientist becomes a capitalist. The concern is that they will massage the science data to support the capitalist revenue.

Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [TriTalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ TriTalk----how long was the thin tapered cucumber?

Last edited by: jeremyb: Jan 23, 07 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will take a photo of mine tonight for ya....

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall the water bottle being about 1/3 the length of the top tube.

David Warden
Tri Talk Triathlon Podcast
http://www.tri-talk.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [TriTalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it start right behind the stem just leaving enough room to turn the stem and then head back about 1/3. Also was it thicker than the top tube and if so how much. I am so very curious about this and if the claim of 110 seconds is accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The most surprising thing about aerodynamic gear? A goofy-looking aero water bottle prototype designed by an MIT grad student saved almost as much as the wind tunnel session. It looks like a bedpan on a top tube, but it works."

http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/...attack_of_the_e.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" -In examining the aerodynamic benefit of various factors, Blair’s team found that expensive aerodynamic wheels save only 40 seconds over a 40km individual time trial. An aerodynamic rider position saved over two minutes. Granted, the most aero position will come via a $1,000/hour wind tunnel session, but if you’re really interested in it, you can start by experimenting with your position on a long, level stretch of road with a powermeter. The most surprising thing about aerodynamic gear? A goofy-looking aero water bottle prototype designed by an MIT grad student saved almost as much as the wind tunnel session. It looks like a bedpan on a top tube, but it works."

So, let's see... I can save almost two minutes, but I have to drink out of a bedpan. Hmm....

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Official MIT information thread. HOPEFULLY [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and we're STILL waiting to see just what this thing looks like. Any pics out there? anyone? Buhler?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it really a water bottle or a fairing that holds water?
Quote Reply

Prev Next