Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
MAF Test
Quote | Reply
I have posted this on a few other forums before, so if it's redundant, my apologoies.

Now, for the uninitiated. An MAF test stands for Maximum Aerobic Function. It's a simple and effective self test to gauge your aerobic improvements over the course of your training, especially base training. It does require you to know what your heart rate is at your aerobic threshold (AeT), either through a test like LT or VO2 or another self- test.
The MAF test is very straight forward. Go to your local 1/4 mile track. Warm up. Run 3 miles, splitting each mile for the pace. Run the 3 miles at EXACTLY your calculated AeT heart rate. No more, no less. Take an average of the 3 times and that's the result.
When I began Ironman training with my coach, we determined my AeT was 148 bpm. When i first did my MAF test, I was around 7:40 average per mile at AeT. Since then, over the course of 5 months, I have been seen my pace increase at the same heart rate. Today, I averaged 7:03 per mile pace at 148. If you ever had a doubt about long slow base training, here is where you can see the benefits in a very tangible way. The faster you can go while remaining aerobic, the better your perfrormance for long course triathlon.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maffetone offers a way to estimate the AeT (180 minus age etc, etc) which I am sure you are familiar with. Out of curiosity, how does your calculated AeT compare with the result you would get from his approach?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And this test is a great tool to gauge progress because it uses HR to measure intensity. As we know, HR is an excellent tool for testing, since it is not affected by factors like temperature, humidity, fatigue state, hydration, etc.

**heavy sarcasm off**
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And this test is a great tool to gauge progress because it uses HR to measure intensity. As we know, HR is an excellent tool for testing, since it is not affected by factors like temperature, humidity, fatigue state, hydration, etc.

**heavy sarcasm off**

Not to mention the fact that heart rate is a very good indicator of metabolic fitness, and since running economy is immutable, you don't have to worry about the specificity principle when interpreting the results.
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
English please! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny my best ever MAF is 12:48 @ 145 bpm.

I suck.

runfatmanrun.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
makes sense to me.

In my training log, I note my average pace and average HR on all my runs. I also have named all of my standard neighborhood runs (varying in length from 4-12 miles), which I also record in my log. Since I tend to do the same loops around my neighborhood frequently, I can compare pace/hr data for the same course over a period of time.

Its not exact, but I can see a trend. Lower pace at same HR or same pace at lower HR.....with some variability for fatigue, heat, etc. Along with a few notes in my log, its helpful to be able to look back and see how performance is changing.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

**heavy sarcasm off**

Can 37s/mi be explained away "by factors like temperature, humidity, fatigue state, hydration, etc."?

--
fork DOWN
times DOWN
woo - jackmott
Last edited by: johnny law: Dec 11, 06 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [johnny law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, somewhere in the 37sec improvement there are the improvements in aerobic capacity and running economy. The problem arises as you progress, when the gains in aerobic capacity and running economy are of the same (or lower) order of magnitude as the error introduced by using HR to gauge intensity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an aerobic function test that is easy to do without getting a VO2 test done?

Also, I have been using the subjective "first deepening of breath" as guide for AeT - what are your thoughts on this as a guide for AeT?
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [shaner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, I have been using the subjective "first deepening of breath" as guide for AeT - what are your thoughts on this as a guide for AeT?
This is gonna be good...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 11, 06 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh oh, what did I do - must have opened up something that was already hashed out somewhere in time on some forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe AC's comment is to the fact that your test is not specific at all, and probably not ideal at all. I hate it when AC just gives us these little snipits then runs. Why can't he give us just a little info on his comments. I think he likes to tease us!

AC what would you suggest for testing?

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Last edited by: TRIDOC: Dec 11, 06 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [TRIDOC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
AC what would you suggest for testing?
"The best predictor of performance is performance itself." - A. Coggan, ca. 1980.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is there an aerobic function test that is easy to do without getting a VO2 test done?

Shane,

When I read that last sentence I took a deep breath, I am pretty sure I was reaching some kind of threshold ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other day I was thinking that I wasn't sure if you were a tenured professor or not. Now that I see you quoting yourself, I know the answer to that question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo,

Do you not use heart rate as a tool for training programs or do you use it as an adjunct to perceived exertion and power?

--------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------
"When you like suffering, when you like the pain in your legs and all your body; it means you are good."
-Ignatus Konovalovas
winner stage 21 TT 2009 Giro D'Italia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a nice simple test to guage progress, but as Paulo says heart rate can be an erratic measure. To get any hope of useful results, conditions (weather) should be similar and you should be in the same state of rest (ie not overtrained). I used to do this some time ago, and the only thing I learned is that my times would be faster in mid summer when I was in peak racing fitness vs in early spring for the same heart rate, despite the heat. Occaisionally, my times in the fall would be better than mid summer times, when I had a full season of "running legs" was more rested and the temps were cool. This despite technically being less fit...so you can see where Paulo is coming from. Either way, I like the test. Its fun and you can guage macro improvements from season to season, just don't expect to pick anything useful out of it week to week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now a serious reply.

You're asking me what I think about a subjective test of a subjective... I don't even what to call it... that some people decided to call AeT.

If you want to use HR to establish training zones, then the best approach is to do a maximum effort for 30-60min and equate the average HR of that effort to your "functional threshold" HR in some way. For example, if you define a functional threshold as the pace you can mantain for a one-hour maximum effort, your average HR for that pace can be used to establish training zones. However, using any relation between pace and HR in order to check for improvement is not reliable. The only way to know if you improved is to see if your pace is higher for the same maximum effort.

You can also do a step protocol similar to a Conconi test. The only difference is that instead of looking for the HR deflection, which is meaningless, you carefully monitor your breathing in order to detect the ventilatory threshold (VT). The VT is NOT the AeT and it correlates very well with the usual measurements for "lactate threshold" (LT, AT, MLSS, etc). With this test you can find a decent approximation of your threshold HR and check for improvement in the speed at which you reach VT, even though this speed is not your steady-state VT speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The other day I was thinking that I wasn't sure if you were a tenured professor or not. Now that I see you quoting yourself, I know the answer to that question.

LOL...uh, that's all I've got.

ps. congrats to the OP on the improvement, even if the numbers are not exact, it seems significant.
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [Endurancegeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heart rate is an excellent training tool as long as people work within its limitations as a training tool. Most of my athletes train with a HR monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo, so if I did the variant of the Conconi test, jacking up the speed on the treadmill by 0.2 mph every 30 seconds @ 2% grade (or let me know what speed increments, time increments and constant slope to use...) how do I know when I hit this VT?

I'd be interested in trying this test out.

I did the old Conconi test years ago and on the resulting graph we could never get a good "inflection point". I'd end up with anything from 169 to 182 depending on how you drew the inflection point in. As a point of reference this was back in 1993 and 1994. In 1993, I ran an entire marathon at 175-185 coming in at 2:48 (1:23/1:25), and the next year, a 1:59 Olympic tri with the entire bike above 175 and the entire run between 180-188....my max was 194 at the time and still is there. In both cases it was above the "low end" of where we would have theoretically drawn the Conconi inflection point.
Quote Reply
Re: MAF Test [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I have such a hard time with Maffatone's work, More so how he says to estimate HR zones, it is to cookie cutter to me. I am 36 and have a max HR of 204. I tried using his training methods about 10 years ago and got slower, I was training at such a slow speed I went from running my long runs at 7:20 pace to running them at 11:30 pace to be within his zones. I stuck with it for about 2 months, but my times were going the wrong way so I ditched his plan. It may work for some but it did not work for me. His MAF test was fine and I used for a while to establish if I was making improvements.

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget the Conconi test, I only used it as an example of the type of protocol to use. You can do it with longer steps and get a better approximation to the pace, for example.

The VT is the threshold between "Continuous conversation difficult at best, due to depth/frequency of breathing." and "Conversation not possible due to often 'ragged' breathing."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of ocurse the MAF test is going to be subject to external conditions, heat being the primary variable. I live and train throught the summer in AZ and know what 110 degrees plus can do to your heart rate. Also fatigue can have a major detrimental effect on HR, in my case making it very difficult to keep my HR up. The point of my post is simply to bring to some peoples attention who train with HR a monthly or so perfromance test that they can do. Some of you REALLY need to relax a bit.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next