Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wildflower gear choice
Quote | Reply
I am doing wildflower this year. I am m51, mop and usually ride a 1/2 in 2:30 to 2:45 on a course like Camp pendelton, using a 12/23 with 650's.I avg 20 or so. In looking at the times of previous wildflower riders I realize it will take more time and maybe 17 is a better mph target. Should I keep the 11/23 or switch to a 12/25?

Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower gear choice [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did it a couple years ago I ran a 12-27 cassette. Worked fine I only used the 27 a couple times and was glad I had it. At the end of the ride when you are facing a climb its reassuring to know that you have some gears left to go.

-------------------------
http://www.ventuscustoms.com Custom Bicycle Painting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been training on the Wildflower course via CT - and, this is what I found out (after I received a more accurate model adjustment from a Crucible coach):

1. Hills Hills Hills... If your not training on hills (steep and long grades - not just rolling hills) your over estimating your bike time. I'm a 45m MOP (on my average-good days). My times on the CT course (although harder than the actual thing - DeLorme Topo model only) are about 25% slower than hill courses I've biked simular to Wildflower. Talk about an ego deflater. But, that's what I've experienced.

2. After doing the course on the CT - about 12+ times with a 25, I've decided that I will be using the 27. The run is tough, so I've decided to save my legs for the run. I would not use anything less than a 25. It's way too hard on the knees. And, with about 3 steep and/or long grades, using the 23 would be concerning. It may take your legs anaerobic. In turn, that could hurt you on the run.

3. I am not going to under estimate the run. I have done (7) numerous bike-run bricks. Each time, they have been tough because of the hills on the bike. I'm just not in the kind of shape I need to be in for Wildflower. With the time left, I will concentrate on the bike-run. I'm already a strong swimmer. So, I have decided to concentrate on my weakness - bike and run (in that order). I'm specially weak with hill training since there are none where I live... that's why I train for Wildflower on the CT.

In all, the best description I have been given about Wildflower is that it's like a middle weight boxer. Not strong enough to knock you out... but, rather it will pummel you into submission.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower gear choice [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

2. After doing the course on the CT - about 12+ times with a 25, I've decided that I will be using the 27. The run is tough, so I've decided to save my legs for the run. I would not use anything less than a 25. It's way too hard on the knees. And, with about 3 steep and/or long grades, using the 23 would be concerning. It may take your legs anaerobic. In turn, that could hurt you on the run.

3. I am not going to under estimate the run. I have done (7) numerous bike-run bricks. Each time, they have been tough because of the hills on the bike. I'm just not in the kind of shape I need to be in for Wildflower. With the time left, I will concentrate on the bike-run. I'm already a strong swimmer. So, I have decided to concentrate on my weakness - bike and run (in that order). I'm specially weak with hill training since there are none where I live... that's why I train for Wildflower on the CT.
IMO, above is the best advice when deciding how to ride Wildflower (I just realized, I don't know if we are talking about LC or Olympic, but I am assuming LC). The LC bike is hard but it is not ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination. The run, on the other hand, is just plain rough, especially coming after 56 miles are in your legs. Make sure that whatever gear you have in the back, be able to spin it out of the transition area and up the climb at mile 40ish. It is smart to sacrifice a little time on the climbs in anticipation of the run.
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower gear choice [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I should know this, bat what are the grades of the hills you mention? I need to make sure I'm training on comparable stuff.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Not sure of the actual percentage [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you can take a look at the course profile here:

http://www.tricalifornia.com/...er/2003/longcour.htm

You can see Beach Hill and Nasty Grade pretty clearly. Beach Hill is tough because you have only just come out of the water (not as bad as the Oly course, where you literally leave transition and head up hill); in terms of grade it probably varies between 5% and 7%. Nasty grade is tough because it as mile 42 and you have been pushing a big gear for a quite awhile before you hit it. It is probably 6% to 8%. Caveat: I am horrible at guestimating grades, anything over 4% sucks for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, i think it does depend on whether your riding LC or Oly. I rode a 12-27 53/39 on the LC last year---i think the 39-27 is nice for the hill at mile 42. However, it largely depends at your power output, im going to ride a 12-25 at the OLY this year. I've ridden a 12-23 on the oly and it wasnt a huge problem, but i wish i had a safety gear then.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: wildflower gear choice [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a P2K 700 I was on a 53/42 and 12/25 last year for my first WF LC. Total rookie mistake. My run was, ah, shall we say, miserable. I'm in much better ride shape this year (training for IMCDA) but will still probably do a 39 front and 12/27. I'd rather spin up Nasty and be able to hammer the run this year.
Quote Reply