Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage?
Quote | Reply
Just curious...

Has anyone tested using neoprene socks? are they legal?
Is there any speed advantage to be had?

Was just wondering if a 5 mm neoprene sock would add a fair bit of bouyancy just where a lot of triathletes need it most, to keep the feet/legs nice and high and stream lined.
It always seemed a bit silly that so many wetsuits seem to end mid calf and miss out on a whole lot of extra bouyancy.
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [triguynz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong...but I believe it is against the rules to use them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really need extra bouyancy? Wouldn't a full sock impact your kick?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Big Kahuna, tha water was 58 deg F and they were NOT allowed.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [Picasso_Bull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kick??

Where meant to Kick?

Dammit that might be where i'm going wrong!!! Thanks

Seriously though I have a rather weak kick(no chance of losing any power there) but the effect on my stability is something I wondered about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Seriously though I have a rather weak kick(no chance of losing any power there) but the effect on my stability is something I wondered about.
Smartass here again, if you're looking for stability, do you really want it in your feet/ankles? You probably want bouyancy in your thorax, not legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That probably answers my question thanks.

I guess I've never seen it stated clearly where a wetsuit ends and a flotation device starts.

I find the Ironman NZ rules funny in some ways (a pedantic funny):

"No fins, paddles, snorkels, flotation devices of any kind are permitted"

Then four lines later:
"Wetsuits are compulsory."

I always though the main reason we wore wetsuits is they are a "flotation device", guess I should stop being pedantic and go do some training :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do wonder about plastic bags. they might keep the feet from FREEZING and they don't float.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not legal in Ironman races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguynz wrote:
Just curious...

Was just wondering if a 5 mm neoprene sock would add a fair bit of bouyancy just where a lot of triathletes need it most, to keep the feet/legs nice and high and stream lined.
It always seemed a bit silly that so many wetsuits seem to end mid calf and miss out on a whole lot of extra bouyancy.
Ironman Rules (2022) - acknowledge thread necromancy but Sand Hollow's going to be cold out and in the water
"Neoprene or any other booties are prohibited unless the water temperature is 18.3 degrees C/65.0 degrees F, or colder;"
It ain't going to be anywhere near that warm.
I assume that this is a recent actual reading: https://stateparks.utah.gov/.../current-conditions/
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some posted in a thread yesterday that the temp was 60 degrees on Thursday or Wednesday. 70-80 temps for the upcoming week with little cloud cover could bump it up to 62ish, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anything I feel like they would slow you down. When ever I've worn them they feel like Im dragging around 2 bags full of water and running in them is the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most neoprene booties for swimming are in the 2mm range, and IRRC are generally considered to be slower than bare feet.

There is a lot of extra neoprene gains to be had in existing wetsuits (ex. very few have 5mm calves). I'm sure there's reasoning behind this (one reason may be they would be a bear to remove); hopefully the wetsuit designers on the forum can weigh in.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Motoarch, I feel like I'm faster without my Neoprene socks. I only wear them in the SF bay when the water is in the low 50's. But wearing them is a drag, literally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them in Iceland back in '16/, and they were definitely slow. One thing I will say though, is if you have room is your toe box of your shoes and it's going to be cold water + 40-50* air temps with rain, they do one heck of a job at keeping your feet warm on the bike.......

In '17 I didn't wear them, had a much better swim, just took a bit longer to be able to feel my toes.

If allowed, and the water temp isn't below 55*, I wouldn't wear them, especially in an IM distance swim. Just my 2 cents....

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguynz wrote:
Just curious...

I had an athlete that had circulation problems in their feet do this many, many years ago. The neoprene socks were never faster. On the other hand it her feet got cold it would often take then 4-5h before she could feel her feet. Unless this describes you, I'd probably live with numb feet for a bit. maybe add some toe covers over your shoes.

The right toe covers are often faster than no toe covers

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not legal in Ironman races."

FYI -

IRONMAN Competition Rule 4.01(e) Neoprene or any other booties are prohibited unless the water temperature is 18.3 degrees C/65.0 degrees F, or colder; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))

Related: World Triathlon (formerly ITU) allows "socks" to be worn when the use of wetsuits is compulsory (at or below 15.9C/60.6F)

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimmyRiccitello wrote:
"Not legal in Ironman races."
FYI -
IRONMAN Competition Rule 4.01(e) Neoprene or any other booties are prohibited unless the water temperature is 18.3 degrees C/65.0 degrees F, or colder; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))

Related: World Triathlon (formerly ITU) allows "socks" to be worn when the use of wetsuits is compulsory (at or below 15.9C/60.6F)
@Jimmy - please note tht Reggie said this in . . . . 2006. Have you got a copy of the 2006 Rules?
I quoted the Ironman Rule when I raised this thread, Lazarus like from the dead. (See above) Thanks for reiterating.
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Socks - Speed advantage? [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"@Jimmy - please note tht Reggie said this in . . . . 2006. Have you got a copy of the 2006 Rules?
I quoted the Ironman Rule when I raised this thread, Lazarus like from the dead. (See above) Thanks for reiterating."

Thanks for pointing this out Ajax, and apologies, Reggie.

I did not catch the date.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply