Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing for 650C Tri rig
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Been following this site for a couple of years and must say that I have learned more from this site than any other site and most books. This brings me to my question, I recently bought a Serotta Tri-Colorado for Tri/TT from a Pro cyclist friend of mine. Since he did not worry about running after his events he has a 56 big chainring installed. Now I am no Miguel Indurain and I know that with a 650C bike you need to run different gears than on a typical 700C rig. I am seriously considering a 54 or should I stay with the 56. Any thoughts? I recently read a note from John Cobb about this subject as well.

Thanks,

Corbin
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for 650C Tri rig [corbinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to run with a 56 and a 12-tooth rear cassette when I had an 8-speed setup. When I upgraded to a -speed, I changed the front to a 55 and the rear to an 11-23. I like this setup and figure I would spin-out anything with a 53 or 54 up front (I come from a running background so I'm not exactly Miguel either).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be conservative and use a 54. You could keep a 55 around, but the 56 is out of the question, unless you're going to use a 12 tooth small sprocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 650s all I usually do is put an 11-21 or 11-23 cassette on with the standard 53 tooth ring.

Unless your bike splits are very fast I don't see the need to such a huge ring, even on a 650c bike.

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for 650C Tri rig [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU! I've said it before, you don't need the 56. There aren't too many people who can legitamately "spin out" a 53-11. I mean over 130 rpms for a long time. Not reaching 100 and saying "oops I spun out, I need a 56." That's a bunch of poopie. I ran a 53-11 when I still rode 650, and never spun out.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for 650C Tri rig [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got 650's and I went from the 53 to a 56 in the middle of last season and had to spend about 6 month's and about 2000 extra miles to really get used to the transition. Now, I run a 56 - 44 with a 11-23 cassette. My legs are used to it now. Though, I would probably love the 54.

I am a true Masher though. Spinning fast makes my legs hurt! :-)
Quote Reply