Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone running w/ a Headlamp?
Quote | Reply
Any adventure racers out there? In an effort to combat the short days, and the fact that I prefer to run on trails (instead of the conveniently lit streets) I'm considering doing my after work runs on the trails w/ a head lamp. Is anyone doing this, and can you recommend a light-weight head lamp that provides enough light to keep me from tripping over roots?

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running w/ a Headlamp? [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Petzl Tikka works well. It's about $30 and has 3 LED lights. REI, Campmor, some running stores carry them.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black Diamond makes an excellent little unit. I'm not sure of the model (I'm at work) but it has 3-4 LED lights and runs on 2-3 AAA batteries. Very light. The battery pack is on the strap at the back of your head. You hardly notice the weight, especially if you put it over a hat.

It's not enough light for biking, but plenty for trail running. I sometimes carry a mini-mag flashlight in my hand if its a real cloudy/moonless night.

Night trail running is awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Petzl headlamp, but I put the strap around my waist, so I have a headlight at about navel level. This puts the light on the ground where I'm going to be stepping, and I don't have to have anything on my head. The strap has some elastic, so if I adjust it all the way to the biggest size, it fits around my middle perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Petzl Tikka. I have several different Petzl's and it is the best.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for that purpose the Tikka is great. great for around a campsite and miscellaneous chores.

if you plan to have this as a multi-use headlamp (climbing, racing, whatever) then i recommend Black Diamonds Gemini.

Burns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The black diamond one has more light. The tikka is not positionable and barely bright enough. Don't do what I did, trip over a root and tore a bunch of ligaments... 9 weeks on crutches, 6 months and counting rehab.
Quote Reply
I think Paula Radcliffe does... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
many UFOs have also been spotted where she lives
:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running w/ a Headlamp? [Rick Murray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use also a Black Diamond headlamp and like it. It is very light and the 3 LEDs gives good illumination.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running w/ a Headlamp? [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use also a Black Diamond headlamp and like it. It is very light and the 3 LEDs gives good illumination.

Felix

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running w/ a Headlamp? [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I use also a Black Diamond headlamp and like it. It is very light and the 3 LEDs gives good illumination.[/reply]

It is the Black Diamond Ion and has only 2 LEDs.

Felix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Black Diamond for most trail running (e.g. Leadville 100) and have a brighter Petzl Duo when I need more light, which is rare.
Quote Reply