Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TAKING TRIATHLON INTO THE 21ST CENTURY [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I can't comment on if Spencer did or did not draft, he said he did,t and I would like to believe him. Anybody out there who did see him draft and speak with authority?<<

As per my above post, I've read an email from the Head Referree for all of USAT, who DQed Spencer in Kona. Those of you who actually know Charlie Crawford know that if Spencer was DQed, then Spencer was clearly violating a rule. I don't remember which list/board Charlie's email was on, but if you want to ask him, post on R.S.T., as he is on there occasionally. Don't know if he lurks here or not.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: TAKING TRIATHLON INTO THE 21ST CENTURY [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the issue was that Spencer was one of a group of whom more than one was encroaching into drafting territory. On both occasions he was singled out rather than anyone else.

Take 10 similiarly dressed atheletes of whom one is dressed in pink. Which one will you focus your attention on?

Hence perhaps the referee can justify his decision but was it fair. Anyway nothing like being annoyed with the authorities to sharpen your focus on the next race.

Solutions for drafting need to be simple. Apart from more draftbusters what about issuing them with digital cameras or mini cam-corders which would provide evidence?
Quote Reply
Re: TAKING TRIATHLON INTO THE 21ST CENTURY [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy:

I wouldn't change the current distances and rules with the Hawaii IM because it has become a tradition.

For any new races, or other less traditional races, I would think some distance changes could easily be implemented. Everyone knows the swim leg of triathlon is too short, particularly given the use of wet suits with 5mm of neoprene making the swim a paddle. Perhaps some race director will take the risk and put on an event where actual swimming is required, but I doubt it. Swimming is moribund in America, particularly among males. I don't see that problem reversing unless the triathletes start sending their kids to USAS swim teams in droves. That isn't happening either.

Drafting is not a good idea, IMHO. Sorry I can't support you on this lad, but all drafts are not created equally. (I prefer Coors) If I'm drafting Spencer Smith, I'm picking up beaucoup time, but not so drafting Tito the Ten Hour Tinman. And, even if you add distance to the swim, you will still have a large group of folks coming out together and some will, inevitably, draft.

The reasons for no drafting, historically, are safety and these races are supposed to be individual events. Drafting obviously reduces the value of the individual's contribution, but safety should always be paramount. (safety is a whole separate issue that needs a lengthy discussion so I don't address it here)

Anyway, let's keep triathletes like eagles, and not turn them into geese-all flocked up.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply

Prev Next