Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no shit......

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is more to life than triathlon.

Sometimes life is more about fun and fitness, less about worrying what the back of some stranger's calf looks like.
And sometimes people would like to see what they are truly capable of athletically, why read more into it than that?
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, guys. A turkey sandwich requires neither mustard NOR mayo. Cranberry sauce only please!

I am relieved to read DD's advice that 2x 45-60 min/week on bike and swim might be enough to maintain each of those sports. For some reason I would have guessed that maintaining bike fitness would require longer sessions. But I'm just a MOP/BOP athlete so for me, he is probably right.

Now, that 45 min bike session - are you talking LSD, steady, threshold pace, steady with some pickups, or...?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a disclaimer or anything that I can not copy or disburse this material in any way? Man, coaching for free? I like it. Pharm business must be treating you well!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must run at least one other run every week at least 60min in length

it's unfathomable to me how fast you guys run.

for me to get 50 mpw, pretty much ALL my runs would be over 60' in length. 50mpw = 5 x 2hr.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it's unfathomable to me how fast you guys run.

for me to get 50 mpw, pretty much ALL my runs would be over 60' in length. 50mpw = 5 x 2hr."

I threw 5 mph (12 min mi) into Daniels formulas. If you're running a 28:30 5k then 12 min miles is your easy pace. Even then, marathon pace (lesser of 90 min or 16 miles weekly) is 9:30.

I think building to runs of 4+ hours a week (2 hour long run, one 60 min run, + a couple other shorter runs), 90 min of which is at virtually the 5k race pace... would lead to improvement -- whatever it comes out to in miles.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo had a post once to figure out your T pace - I think I've got mine pegged around 8:30, which would make my L pace around 10:00 -- which is a good clip faster than I've been going.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't 5mph speed walking teritory? i've tried to run on teh treadmill that slow i can't do it. Its like that stumbling want to hit your head on the bar speed. Its so un comforatble.

Grant

Grant
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... which would make my L pace around 10:00 -- which is a good clip faster than I've been going.

The one thing that will bring "L" (or Daniels' "E") pace into line with your faster paces is...drum roll....MILES!

It worked for me. I swore for two years that the Daniels tables were a bunch of crap. The tables said my long runs should be ~8:45 and I could barely manage a 9:30 average for 90-120 minutes. Well, a funny thing happened when I bulked up on miles for the fall/winter of 2003-2004. I got a teeny bit faster at 5k-10k, but my long easy pace dropped right down to 8:40-8:45.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only this plantar fasciitis hadn't popped up from out of nowhere. I was planning on 250 miles a month. It sucks even more now that you've pointed out how much good could have come from it.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [WIdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If only this plantar fasciitis hadn't popped up from out of nowhere. I was planning on 250 miles a month. It sucks even more now that you've pointed out how much good could have come from it.

BTW -- when I did that first big ramp-up in miles, I got PF. I ran through it by doing all the maintenance stuff the PT folks recommend. It flares up mildly now and then, but it's manageable. I just consider it a nagging, permanent condition that needs periodic attention.

I also got a stress fracture, but didn't know it until I got an MRI for another reason the following spring.

Doc said, "So, I see this stress fracture right here healed up nicely. Looks to be less than a year old." I said, "What the f***...?"
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man.... I'm already running 6 hours a week**

** except for several weeks of "offseason" where I'm running 3x/wk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanna...but... :(

I think I'll enter Cathy's beer challenge for November, eh? ;)

"You're faster than you think!" --Nike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I like these posts that slice through the bs.

Brent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Brian,

So what if I have averaged 200 miles per month over the past 34 months. What do I do then? :)

I should have stood in line when I first met you to sign up for your coaching. Now it's like signing up for season tickets for the Green Bay Packers; there will never be an opening in my lifetime.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yikes, how can you have a sfx and not realize it?! They're painful things...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main principles are not to fixate on a number but to set a goal and stick with it for 3-5 months to really give yourself time to improve, while maintaining some frequency in the other sports.

There's that whole principle of consistentcy that seems so difficult for many of us to grasp.

How many examples of "You get out of something what you put into it" must we see before we grasp the idea?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [trigrrlpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think I'll enter Cathy's beer challenge for November, eh? ;)
No I don't think you will ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So what if I have averaged 200 miles per month over the past 34 months. What do I do then? :)
You should come visit more often so I can get you in a pool and fix your stroke. then you can do the 50k per week challenge swimming.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yikes, how can you have a sfx and not realize it?! They're painful things...

Well, my second thought upon hearing about it was, "Well, my left lower leg was hurting pretty bad there for a month or so..."

The doc said that it happens. Some people have them and it never gets that painful, as long as it heals up quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My challenge is for you to run 200 miles per month, every month for the next four months.

Oh, oh! Me! Me! I'm in!.......uh.....wait......nah, I'm out. Gotta ride.

; ^ )

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you just ride 176.3 miles per week and I won't call you names. I do have an idea. I'll pay you to Fed ex me a cheesesteak w/onions.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pssh make him suffer... 180 at least.

Grant

Grant
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what you are saying. I intend to increase my run mileage, but I need to do it so that I stay injury free. Since I've had 3 running injuries this year and my splits in triathlons obviously indicate that running is my weakest link, I need to be able to run consistently before I try to get faster.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many miles did you average over your IMFL build up? Last 10 weeks prior to taper specifically.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next