Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric,

Maybe 50 is not the number for you. Maybe it's 30-40 or whatever. As I have said, the main goal should be for people to grasp the concepts behind the training advice and apply it to there situation. In my case, I am very unhappy with my 1:27-1:28 HIM run times. For me, knowing that the run leg is my weakest event, a 50mpw avg is well below what I have targeted for myself. For someone else 30-35 may be the target.

The main principles are not to fixate on a number but to set a goal and stick with it for 3-5 months to really give yourself time to improve, while maintaining some frequency in the other sports. The fitness levels in the other events will come back quickly once you resume normal training.

Eric, I can guarentee that if you increased your running volume by 25% and held it there for 4 months, fading late in a race or dreading the final leg of the race will be a thing of the past.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I can't do 6-10 shots of Jack ;-) "

it's comments like this that make me wish I swam more than once a week. But you don't have to do that many shots, just throttle it back a little ; )

And it's not all about the run, it's about being mentioned on the 'race update' portion of Ironmanlive.com
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now what is wrong with 9k workouts ;) they're...fun... I don't usually swim that much in one session, it'd be a double!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: the do what your coach tells you challenge

can I get in on that too ;)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And it's not all about the run, it's about being mentioned on the 'race update' portion of Ironmanlive.com

So true! And I have heard rumors it will not be wetsuit legal for the pros. That means AGers will have the fastest swim splits...might be worth it ;-)

Besides, no glory on ironmanlive.com if I run a 1:29, but possibly glory if I can swim 22 or 23.

Not to hijack--well maybe a little--but how much drafting is going to be happening behind us at the begining of the bike? I assume we will be away from the masses with FOP swim splits, but the 28-32 min range is going to be nuts...
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I specifically remember Eric F saying you don't need to swim any more :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand... its around what i have been doing and forces me to get in the pool a little more and get on the bike for one long ride.

I have been around 35 miles running, 10k swimming and 80-90 bike as my normal weeks. So for me its that little push to get my extra swimming and biking day in.

I completely understand the run part thats what my coach has been working on. In the last month or so he got me from a 6:39/mile 5k to a 6:10ish/mile 5k. With me never really doing distance stuff before this summer.

For me also i never swam before this year ever. I mean i could do the swim so i don't sink but thats about it so i am really trying to drop that also so i can't just focus on the run.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget about the drafting. It's gonna be so bad, i'm not even thinking about it.

One interesting developement could be the traffic jam in T-1. If you have the slower swimmers from group 1 overlapping the faster swimmers from group 2, you could get about 300 people in t-1, especially if there are only 4 waves in a 1.2 mile swim!

Not to hijack your hijack, but why the hell can't a World Championship race with the water at 75degrees just NOT be wetsuit legal!?!?! I friggin' hate wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not to hijack your hijack, but why the hell can't a World Championship race with the water at 75degrees just NOT be wetsuit legal!?!?! I friggin' hate wetsuits.

I know...its gonna be so friggin' hot, but after the trademarked "Flanagan Wetsuit Test" there is no way I could not wear the damn thing. At Chicago in '05 I accidentally left my wetsuit in transition before the race; its like a different world. Everyone else had a suit, and I had to deal with the "washing machine effect" at the swim start for the first time ever, and I will admit it is pretty intense.

Will you tow me for the first 200 yards like you did at Eagleman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually plannning on targeting 80K in the pool a month untill it gets warm enough to ride around here which should be in March (5 months) Then move down to 50 to 60K.

I am also taking your advise on running 160 to 180 miles a month stretched over 6 days. So far it's been going well with just easy running, probably hold that all through to next september.

My real challenge is to keep on the bike twice a week and to lose 8 to 10 lbs by May like Paulo suggested I do. I hate riding on a trainer and allways seem hungry now but training hasn't suffered from the lack of calories.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian,

Thanks for posting this. If were to start the challenge in December (still recoving from Kona like ML) and have an IM in late June, would it be too much to do this all the way through March? That would lead to an 8-week IM build w/ 3 week taper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Will you tow me for the first 200 yards like you did at Eagleman?"

Fucker!

Yeah, i'll lead you out. As long as I can grab your ankle and recover for the following 200 yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the scope of your triathlon racing, do you really think that this is going to make you faster?

Actually yes. It isn't like I would do one month of dedicated swimming, then stop. I'm planning on doing a big swim month in November, run month in December, run focus in January, swim focus February, then get on the bike again in March once the weather warms up a little.

100,000 metres really isn't too much, and I'm hoping to see some speed gains that will carry through next season on more of a maintenance program.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually you are more than welcome to draft the whole swim; I don't really care.

To get somewhat back on-topic, have you been working on your run? Both of us had some pretty sorry run splits compared to the others who finished in our timeframe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been working on my run and bike, and most importantly, my bike pacing. I did a lot of walking those first 4 miles, and plan on being a little more conservative in Clearwater, even trying for a very 'Devashish' negative run split.

I finally got a powermeter (Ergomo) and i've also lost about 8 pounds of chunk since Eagleman, so i've got that going for me.

If you're planning on running 1:29, i'll see you in the pizza line!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More realistically I am hoping for a sub 1:34. I have an Ergomo too; that thing is sweet!

Dude, Dev is a strong proponent of the positive split. Gotta go out with the guns blazing and fade away but hang on until the line! Wait, I just re-read your post. You walked and still beat me on the run. I didn't walk and still "ran" a 1:39. The lack of "chuck" will help you lots.

OK--off to the pool for my noon swim...not kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you make a valid point.

In my case, I'm recovering from knee surgery and swimming is the only high volume activity I can safely do. That said, I intend to continue to run and bike this month, albiet at low levels...in December, I'll shift my focus to biking and in January over to running.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My challenge is for you to run 200 miles per month, every month for the next four months. You must run at least 200 per month and you must get your long run up to 2hrs by the end of month 2 and 2:30 by the end of month 4.

I've read the challenge threads with some amusement. I've got no knock on the folks doing it or writing about it. It's all good, you know.

But, Brian's a wise dude. My two cents about Nov-Dec-Jan: I'm running a lot. "A lot" in my life is a minimum of 40 mi/wk, up to 70. I started a little block this week. I call it the 2-3-4. This week, I do two 2-hour runs. Next week, 3; the next week 4. I still do the other runs so I'm doing 6 runs per week, each week. It's nothing scientific, just a little goal, like climbing a hill. After this block, I'll think of something else to amuse myself. Probably a couple of epic trail runs. There is a loop I want to do that'll probably take about 4 hours.

Anyway, this is a good post Brian. Not all triathletes need this sort of run focus -- some folks have proven that they can run fast on more modest mileage. But you know, most race reports that are writ in dissappointment involve a slow or painful or underachieving run split. Cycling a lot is fun and easy to get motivated about. Unless you're a longtime runner, running a lot can be not so fun and a pain in the ass. Try this challenge for three months and I think you'll change your mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but when you're walking, sometimes it seems you are walking more than you actually are. Like 'i walked the whole time!' is sandbag for 'i shuffled through the aid stations.'

And the lack of chunk has helped me a lot, but it has hindered my ability to do the Truffle Shuffle.

And i'm swimming today too, you've inspired me. Maybe some 'taper-esque' broken 200's with a hot shower warm-up/warm-down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap! I wish I'd seen this thread before I hired you as my coach! The next 6 months are going to be rough...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, you're saying that consistency is better than a few epic workouts??? No...

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The other part of this is reduce your frequency to only maintainence workouts in the other sports. You don't need to be riding 100+ miles per week. 2x45min to 1hr wil maintain most of your fitness, same with the swim."

What about with IMAZ in April? doing your four month challenge gets me to the 1st week of march. Then build up in the other two sports or the increased running with the maintenance will be enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So true! And I have heard rumors it will not be wetsuit legal for the pros. That means AGers will have the fastest swim splits...might be worth it ;-)

Besides, no glory on ironmanlive.com if I run a 1:29, but possibly glory if I can swim 22 or 23.

Not to hijack--well maybe a little--but how much drafting is going to be happening behind us at the begining of the bike? I assume we will be away from the masses with FOP swim splits, but the 28-32 min range is going to be nuts...

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!!!!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a side story to this. Who is going to run more than JKenny is going to swim over the next 4 months?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Brian! could you be more specific in your challange by making weekly schedule for the 4 months!

Hey it's worth trying!

STef

Formely stef32
Quote Reply

Prev Next