Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm 5'7" and I have very long legs. And swimmer shoulders!

yeah yeah. tease the blonde girl why don't we.
Long legs, shorter torso... that's all the women in my family and all ride the Cannondale "Feminine" frames which, among other things, have shorter top tubes.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm 5'7" and I have very long legs. And swimmer shoulders!

yeah yeah. tease the blonde girl why don't we.
Patiently waiting for the "critique my fit" pics...

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to get the bike first! so glad you'll be patient. Because I am not patient!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
TC, as a friend, I implore you. DO NOT GET A BLACK BIKE. They are ugly and have no soul. Racing bikes should ideally be white, but red or blue work well also. Bianchi gets a pass, they must be Celeste.
What are you thinking? Are you crazy? Black bikes have souls, lots of them, they sucked all the souls from ugly green, red, blue, and other clolr bikes. A black bike says don't f*ck with this guy. It's like having the worst of Satan and the best of Jesus in one bike. You suck the life from other rides and it goes into your legs, giving you more watts and taking watts from them. At Soma I rolled up on a guy on a blue bike that is from a highly esteemed maker. he said you are having a nice ride (I started 3 min behind him) I pointed at my Lucero - the badest badass bike out there and said "This bike gives me the power to crush you, take your energy and leave you twisting in the wind. You have nothing left for this race. BE GONE." He finished several minutes behind me. A black bike is so bad ass that no one, not one single person tried to pass me in my last 3 races during the bike, well one tried but only b/c his bike was black and blue but he son succumbed to the rolling fury that my bike is. This is the power a black bike brings. Sure you could ride something cute and covered with flowers, maybe a bell or streamers on the handlebars, some color coordinated handlebar tape and/or a seat. You could try to ride fast, the kind of fast a yugo gets when going down a hill with the parking brake on. You could try to pass someone "excuse me, but person in my AG could you please move right just a touch so I can squeeze around you, please?" Or you could ride death, something to strike fear into the hearts and minds of those around you. 18.1 pounds of rolling fury, the sound of the disc (black of course) rotating around exuding power combined with the sound of the H3C (black again) screaming down the road. The sound of a 1000 anguished souls coupled with the roar of the mightest creator laughing at the terror before you. Where a simple phrase "on your left" and the sound of fury and hell moves people over into the gutter. Or you can ride cute and polite. You choose, badass or ass bad.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 1, 06 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahaha! nice post :)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long did it take you to write this??? I'm not taking any more shit from you about how much time I spend on ST! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so did you decide which yet :)... i just sent the money for my bike hopefully that will get here next week :)

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 min, I timed it. When I'm on a roll, I roll. When I'm putzig around I putz, like at Soma except for miles 6-13.05.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think DD has been drinking again! Besides, everyone knows that white is the new black...

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the lack of caffiene

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I laughed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read down through the entire post to make sure I had not missed anything, so please forgive me for asking this, but why are you buying a road bike? Nothing against Cannondale, my C'dale roadie is going on 20 years, but I never ride it since I bought my tri-bike. One has one purpose, the other a different one, but as long as I am doing tri then I ride my tri bike about 99 percent of the time. Add to that your admission that you have long legs/short body and it becomes even more complicated because that is a hard body type to fit. I should know since I had the same problem.

You don't strike me as someone who wants to have five bikes hanging about the house or have 10 grand tied up in transportation that doesn't require gas. Those Cannondales are going to be road geometry and not so friendly for aerobar use. That may be what you want, or not. Make sure the bike you are buying is the bike you need and not just a good deal.

Chad

P.S. At some point you are going to need to hand paint your hibiscus flowers on the frame and so white might not be a bad choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2004 version of the R700 that you are looking at. That year, it was called the R800. Some different components, but built on the CAD-8 Optimo frame. I found some very favorable reviews before getting the bike, and since getting it have really enjoyed it and have fallen in love with cycling. I did upgrade a few parts -- brakes and wheels. Partly because the standard Omega brakes were a liability, in my opinion. I upgraded to Ultegra. After a crash with a car, the driver paid for some replacements OR "upgrades" including a nice set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels -- this made a noticable difference. I also upgraded to the Arione Tri saddle for more comfort in the aero position.

The list that you posted shows a different set of brakes and wheels than I got on my R800. Don't assume that they need upgrading... they might be just fine.

Another poster made a great point of making sure that you get the right fit -- frame size. In my case, the owner of the bike shop that I use has been a huge help to me -- we spent a couple of hours one day doing a bike fit, which really set me comfortably.

Otherwise -- black is cool! My $.02...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude... two things... 1) you've been listening to the death metal again and 2).... I think I am going to ask Herbert for a Lucero on my next switch out.

That is the singular BEST post I have ever read.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah... one more thing... should the name of the bike be changed from Lucero to Lucifer??? ;-)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So why am I buying a road bike?"

Well, the only bike I have right now is a hybrid. I spent most of the summer training on it, but you can't use that for a race! Two weeks before the race, I called a friend of mine who is really into biking (and has done an IM) to see if he had a spare bike kicking around that I could borrow. He let me borrow his CAAD 5, which had aerobars on it. I fell in love with that bike, and my race went well. I want one just like it!

No, I don't want to wind up with five bikes, nor do I have that type of money - I'm a college student!

Thanks for the info.

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [newbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! It's always good to hear a good review.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC:

You might see if anyone here or over in the Classifieds has an extra set of pedals and cleats to gvie away or sell cheaply to you.

Here is also another idea--just my opinion, though, and I know how much fun it is to get something brand new--you might also look around in the Classifieds to see if you could get a used bike in your size. Chances are that if you find one used in your price range that it will have much better components than a new one in your price range. Components are about half of the cost of a bike in your range...and they get expensive if you have to start replacing them piece by piece...

My two cents. Just make sure that you get a swimsuit to match your new bike!

-Danielle
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [pedergraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"just make sure you get a swimsuit to match the bike"

Silver goes with just about anything!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply] my Lucero - the badest badass bike out there and said "This bike gives me the power to crush you, take your energy and leave you twisting in the wind. You have nothing left for this race. BE GONE." [/reply]

Brian,
We love that quote and would love to use it, maybe even on a t-shirt. :-)

Herbert
Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that quote too and I, as the only QuintanaRooster on slowtwitch, want one of those t-shirts when they become available.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great post
Quote Reply

Prev Next