Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finish line bs again! [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Casey, possibly the first time ever that I am in total agreement with you.

Probably because this isn't the Lavender Room, so it's not about politics or religion. :)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so it's not about politics or religion.

Depending on the triathlete, triathlon might count as both. =)

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Strider124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is really evaluating your "parenting" past what you wrote. But, summing it up in one sentence, you basically said "I wasn't going to tell my kid they couldn't cross with me, because I put them through 'kid hell' during race week." (At least that's how it read to me).

I wish adults would just act respectful to eachother. Simply checking behind one's self to make sure he and his family aren't interferring with other racers could/would eliminate the entire controversy, and yet still allow for finish photos.

What has taken the situation to the next level is the attitude that one's "family finish" is the FOCUS of the race ... and well, the addition of props and pets.

If my son were to run on the course (as he did in Lake Geneva) I would not spank him or walk him of the course or sit him down on the curb. He's only imitating the happy, family, behavior he has observed all day long. I would pull him aside, make sure no one was behiind us, and then try to beat his little butt to the finish line (with a two-step lead before I yell "go", of course).

Most situations of conduct and behavior are so easy to remedy with just a little consideration and respect. It is unfortunate that less and less of the "family finishers" are aware (or care) about the effect they have on others.

One has to wonder why triathlon has so many rules that they seeming do not want o or cannot enforce. That's crazy.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Oct 25, 06 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [runner man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agree, it's an accident waiting to happen. Some person will inadvertently run into a kid sprinting to the line trying to qualify for Kona.

They should have 2 chutes:

1. One for the triathletes with no families crossing the line with them - this one gets the pros and Mike Reilly.

2. One for the triathletes with families crossing the line with them - this one gets another announcer.

Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your well worded commentary. You excatly put into civilized words how I feel about this issue. You are a very good writer, and obviously a better and more composed human being than me.

I really would like to hear from IMNA or WTC. I know they lurk here. And I would accept if they stated clearly that they are changing the rules of competition (by executive decision or popular vote). Right now it looks to me like they are cladestinly changing the rules (drafting, finish line, shoes on bike, etc.) by executive decision right as they go along doing their business ....

...and I can't shake the feeling that this is not in the best interest of the amateur athletes in general. Maybe all this is an early sign for a split between professional and amateur competitions. I can imagine that some of the players in the business would like to see that happing ("Experience Ironman", YOU can race like the Professionals!).

Re: Finish line bs again! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve

My inbox is pretty clear. I only got a couple :) I guess I'm just too hard core and would tell my kids that it is a race and they'll have to wait until its over for a picture with daddy. I'm an evil tyrant for subjecting them to all my training and failing to make up for it with a 20 second run in my arms that may or may not impact someone else and should get me disqualified :) Do you think Paulina will want you to jump in and run arm in arm with her in her next race or has Dev given you enough smack that you'll just race the entire thing with her?
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you think Paulina will want you to jump in and run arm in arm with her in her next race or has Dev given you enough smack that you'll just race the entire thing with her?"

The only thing she forbade me to do was to propose to her at the finish line!! So I didn't. I did that out on a bike ride that the two of us went on, at the exact same spot, that we met on a bike ride 5 years ago.

As for finishing with her - very unlikely. She is just way to fast for me these days.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next