Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finish line bs again! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sense a disconnect here:

On this thread I am guessing that it has been about 3 or 4 to 1 for no non-competitors in the chute. However, it was noted in an earlier post that when the questuion was put to 2,000 racers at IMLP, they en-mass wanted that to be allowed.

Right or wrong here's where we are at:

The rules clearly state that it should not be allowed. ST forum participants, for what it's worth are not in favour of it. The tri masses seem to want it despite the impracticality of it. It seems to be encouraged at some races but not at others. My head is spinning!

Where is this all headed?

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]However, it was noted in an earlier post that when the questuion was put to 2,000 racers at IMLP, they en-mass wanted that to be allowed.[/reply]

how was it asked? was it a 'secret' ballot? or was it by acclamation?
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is not really the point of the post, since it's families, but someone mentioned a hula dance. by whom? the racer or the family? I am sitting here thinking of the big time fun that would occur if T.O., Joe Horn or Chad Johnson ever ran a tri. Talk about finish line displays.

http://thechuckblog.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Herniation Boy: Oct 23, 06 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Where is this all headed?"

Well, in the post before this question, it is a person bitching about being passed by someone in his AG after he had stopped to put his son on his shoulders.

If they are going to allow it, I like the time penalty for blocking idea someone mentioned...I know it will never be implemented, but it might curtail some of the activity.

Or maybe a "pit road" people can run down and be joined by "the Others", including a photo taken, and then the athlete (and only the athlete) rejoins the course for the finish.
Last edited by: TriAlbany: Oct 23, 06 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I find interesting is that in most IM races you have a much larger percentage of "event" people then folks actually racing and at Kona you have a lot more "racers" and fewer event sort of people. I was at the finish line from the time Normann came across and stayed for about 2-3 hours and then came back to watch some other friends finish. I saw just as much extra participation from the faster crowd then from the usual suspects who have their family and friends with them.

At Kona where you have the upper tip of the iceberg in terms of the age group field you still had a tremendous amount of extra people coming down the chute. I agree with you on what the rules say, but unofficially as IM becomes more and more of an event you are going to see more and more family and friends coming across at the finish line.

This is just my opinion with the obvious caveat when you think there is a podium spot or check at risk, but if you can't beat someone for 140.589999999 miles let somebody savor the moment. I don't think we need pets and what not, but I don't think we need people stiff arming people going up the ramp. At one point a bunch of us wanted to take one guy out who just about leaped over a wheel chair athlete who was struggling to make it up the ramp. To me that is far, far worse then someone bringing their cat or dog across the finish line.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me that is far, far worse then someone bringing their cat or dog across the finish line.

I think cats should only get to cross the finish line if they started the race as well.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the dog thing, I missed that one. Someone posted earlier that one of Saturday's finishers did indeed cross the line with his dog--- can anyone point me to his finish?

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy did it on purpose as a parody.

On the other hand, I love my dog to death too, and she's put in a lot of training miles with me. It would mean a lot to me to trot across the line with her! She's had to sacrifice a lot of walks that she could have had on those days when I was out doing the long bike rides and the long runs on which she could not accompany me. Yes indeed, I want to run across the line with my pup!

;)

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [slowx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Also, a pox on the guy in my age group who passed me two steps from the finish line that I had dropped about .25 miles back. "

So were you there to race or were you there to pick up your kid? If you wanted to beat the guy in your age group, then you should have been competing the whole way.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK I've updated my profile.

Now, Kate, have you got something pertinent to add to the thread ?
Inasmuch as you're still anonymous, I'll just check to the left, Mr. BlackSheep.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [NamssoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]

And everyone is missing the fact that this is bigger than Ironman - this is the way society is heading with everything - nobody cares about anyone else, and they only think of their own interests. Sad.[/reply]

i'm ok, you're ok.

well except those TNT douche bags , I can't stand them.

I can't believe people even argue over this. IT's against the rules to have outside help. Someone holding your hand as you cross the line is helping you.

case closed.

after watching the AR and now reading this , i've gotten the impression triathletes are just a bunch of self abosrbed boobs .

whining about how important it is that their incredibly special families get their picture taken .

i got news for you all -there's 300 million people in the USA and too damn many people in the world period. you're not that special.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if its the same guy as at the finish, but I saw an athlete running down Palani (1+ mile from the finish) with a jogging stroller. All downhill. This was well under10 hours. Shouldn't that have been a definte DQ? Finish chute is one thing, but a stroller on the course?

I don't understand what men athletes are trying to say when they carry an infant across the finish line. "Hey look, I've got sperm and see what my wife did with it!" The infant has no idea whats going on and will not remember it. Did the infant "suffer" through training. Now, If a MOM carries her infant across the finish line I'm impressed.

I've been to over 40 IM and the "extended family" in the chute definitely getting worse. I know many athletes that have been affected by this congestion in the chute problem.

My idea is to treat non racers trying to get in the chute like they do at a cross walk. Hold them (and the athlete) up until its clear behind. If you don't want to wait, don't take the family. If the race officials can control crossings, they certainly can control the chute.

This whole "problem" comes from allowing exceptions to rules. As the saying goes "If you give 'em an inch, they take a mile". If you have a rule ENFORCE IT. If the current rule is too strict, redefine it, make a fair one, then make NO EXCEPTIONS.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2004 a buddy of mine finished right after (during) the guy who did the marriage proposal on his knees etc. Basically, stopped anyone from behind him for several seconds. His race photo, has him kind of off to one side, trying to sneak around those jokers.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand what men athletes are trying to say when they carry an infant across the finish line. "Hey look, I've got sperm and see what my wife did with it!" The infant has no idea whats going on and will not remember it. Did the infant "suffer" through training.

It's about bathing in your own glory to the fullest possible extent.

I think next year I'll grab a yardstick near the finishline and whip it out for measurement for my finishline photo. ;)

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sue, could not agree with you more.

Tell Joe great race.

Has anyone ever asked the INMA/WTC folks to their face how they allow their rules to be broken at the end? Would love to hear their answer since if they allow you to break one, seems you could break them all.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think here it's tough to argue in favor of family crossing, at most events. Why? Because it's against the rules at most IM races and at most races of any type of been to.

However when left to their own devices and given the opportunity many that claim to be for the rules will actually break them, I.E. drafting.

Given a "Mass" vote I can see emotion ruling the day.

Where does that leave us, same place that the "event" itself is going, more show, less race.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this thread!!!

Btw, my finish line photos always are the worst, head down, stopping watch, behind someone with arms up etc etc etc. Having said that, i dont compete in marathons/tris for the photos, I do them to push myself and for the satisfaction of an accomplishment.

No one should cross the finish line except the athletes.

Thanks to Euro-Sports for my H3Cs.

http://www.euro-sports.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't understand what men athletes are trying to say when they carry an infant across the finish line. "Hey look, I've got sperm and see what my wife did with it!""

"Now, If a MOM carries her infant across the finish line I'm impressed. "

Not sure if you meant this or if I'm missing the meaning, but the above two two statements seem extremely sexist to me. Do you mean a pregnant mother or mother that recently gave birth?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good one Sue, by the way what was Joes's take on the race?

PS: Did anyone have a comment, remark or complaint about Moatsies helmet mirror this time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM CDA this past year as my first IM. I am against having kids cross the finish line with the participants and just "forgot" to mention that possibility to my wife and two little kids (4 and 6). Of course after a very long day for the little ones the get to see many, many kids running in with their parents and really wanted to do this with me. As little kids can get a little "grumpy" after 12-13 hours of watching some race in upper 90 degree temps my wife told them when I finished I would come back and run with them. Of course I didn't do that and they were heartbroken. They pretty quickly got over this but my wife pretty much made the deal with me if I am going to do another IM I have to cross the line with the kids.

Needless to say I signed up for IM CDA again and now need IMNA to help me out and get rid of the kid pen and stop letting people cross with their family. If they don't I will have no choice but to do this. I'll certainly try to stay out of everyone's way but who knows how possible that will be at the time I finish.

-stuck in a no win situation here.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [thing2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If INMA allows it, and has a pin, I guess I would consider it also.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just tell the wife and kids that it is actually against the rules and that everyone who IS doing it are rule breakers and could be DQ'd? Wouldn't that be a great lesson for them instead of saying that the rules don't apply?
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have explained the controversy but I can't say it's against the rules if the race organizers are making it possible and even encouraging it by having the kid pen.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why not just tell the wife and kids that it is actually against the rules and that everyone who IS doing it are rule breakers and could be DQ'd? Wouldn't that be a great lesson for them instead of saying that the rules don't apply?
IMNA doesn't help by having the pen and discussing its use during the race meeting. It may be against the rules, but far from trying to discourage it, they are sanctioning it and making it easier for people to do.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter. What is in the rule book is in the rule book. Just because your car can go 200 kph, does that mean the car companies are enabling you to do so? The rules are the rules. Personally, I think using the kid pen is just an excuse. Can't it be explained in a way they would understand that it is cheating?
Quote Reply

Prev Next