Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Finish line bs again!
Quote | Reply
I know this has been beaten to death on this forum but I'm going to kick the dead horse one more time....

I just saw a guy on the live feed finishing well under 10 hours. He had his kid in his arms and his wife/girlfriend next to him. As soon as he crossed the line he STOPPED and stood there blocking the finish and holding his kid above his head. The next two guys to finish had to run around him to get to the line. This guy needs to be marched out to the end of the pier and thrown in! What an inconsiderate, friggin tool!
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on don't hold back how do you really feel?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

it is amazing the lack of respect that people show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. My. God. The stroller. I am speechless.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw the stroller too and thought the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was an act that will live in infamy on this forum.

AS IT SHOULD.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next race I'm crossing with a transvestite, midget clown, a rabid chimp, Charles Manson, and a bad case of gonorrhea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the people earlier carrying the babies were bad enough, with their little heads bobbing up and down. Shaken baby syndrome anyone? But the stroller. Wow. And the fact that it was no ordinary stroller, but the double-wide MegaStroller version.

I now feel the need to keep watching just to see what madness comes next.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Post deleted by runner mann [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I know this has been beaten to death on this forum but I'm going to kick the dead horse one more time....

I just saw a guy on the live feed finishing well under 10 hours. He had his kid in his arms and his wife/girlfriend next to him. As soon as he crossed the line he STOPPED and stood there blocking the finish and holding his kid above his head. The next two guys to finish had to run around him to get to the line. This guy needs to be marched out to the end of the pier and thrown in! What an inconsiderate, friggin tool![/reply]

I LOVE the families crossing the line!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My next race I'm crossing with a transvestite, midget clown, a rabid chimp, Charles Manson, and a bad case of gonorrhea.

That's impossible ... you'll never find a willing midget. =)

------------------------------

As a one-time advocate of people doing what they please as long as it doesn't interfere with others, the instances presented in the last 3 or 4 threads on this subject have reversed my opinion.

I now advocate charging a race fee to anyone that steps on the course. Want your family to cross the finish line? Charge $475/member. If they interfere, issue a blocking penalty, or whatever the appropriate penalty is.

When those breaking the rules or going outside of the norm feel justified and entitled to do so, it's way past the time to do something about. It will now be an uphill battle to eliminate that sort of thing from the sport. The governing body has to assume responsibility b/c despite it being outside the rules, the "family reunion/photo" thing is, in practice, encouraged and marketed.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [runner man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately,I dont think the WTC is going to do squat,unless someone breaks a leg,and slams them with a huge lawsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not bad. My plan for IMOO next year is to cross the finish line with my dog, since I don't have any kids or babies to haul across.

However, since he's 13 (14 by then), allowances will have to be made. I'll have to pull him in some kind of wagon - but since he's incredibly hyper and ADD and would never be still for even those few seconds, I'll need to have a squirrel in some sort of rolling cage contraption. It's odd - he chases after squirrels on our walks, but in the backyard, he just lays there and stares at them. I think he's happy as long as they're within his domain.

So I'll be crossing the line pulling a caged squirrel attached by rope to a 95-lb Doberman in a wagon. I'm sure no one will mind.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw the hula dance. I am disgusted.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure that after you cross the line you keep walking or someone might run into the cage and let the squirrel out :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me start by saying that I have never done an Ironman distance race. However, as a father and a husband, being able to celebrate with my family down the finish line would absolutely be my dream. Why? Because as much sacrifice and training I would have to put to finish, the same amount of time my family would have to put up with all my training, etc. I totally agree with you about getting out of the way, but crossing the finish line with my daughter would mean the world.

Los
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [LosPSU94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 4-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son, and have felt the same.

But...you could make a LONG lowlights reel of kids falling, of families coming to a dead stop at the line, of BABY STROLLERS, etc.

I did just see a guy cross with his sons and then usher them down the ramp and out of the way...but that is the exception.

As Dan said in a post a few weeks ago, when your heartrate is 160 your IQ is 75. Most people have every intention of "Staying out of the way", etc., then the moment just happens and they end up a mess at the finish line.

Should I ever do an IM, I'm ordering my wife not to hand over the kids until I finish...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, good point - could you see me stopping right at the finish line with THAT rig? Oh, and talk about then leaving things a total shambles....

(envisioning Hudson chasing the squirrel, wagons and rope everywhere, weary triathletes stumbling and babies in strollers flying hither and yon - hmm...)

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please post his name and number...lets really get this ball rolling.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't look carefully enough to get the race number and wouldn't post it anyway ... to do so might elevate me to the "tool of the day" award that I think he deserves :)

I think that before my next IM I'm going to have to relearn my old steeplechasing skills in case someone leaves a stroller in front of me to hurdle ..... of course, the shame in losing to someone who pushes a stroller might take some spring out of my legs :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. My. God. Again. Did you see the guy that just crossed back over the finish line willy-nilly, not paying attention to people crossing, daughter in arms......so he could pick up his daughter's FLIP-FLOP which apparently fell off her foot back in the chute??

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I told my wife before my first IM. I coached her about this. I finished arms high alone with my brothers in camaraderie.

Next IM I forgot to mention it. Well, my daughter (age 8) jumps the fence in LP (because she sees others doing it) and runs in with me. I cried. I smiled. I held her hand and she ran in with me. I DID still have my wits about me to look around, keep going after the line, etc. It is now my all time favorite photo in the world. I have it in various places in my offices, etc. I immediately felt bad and ashamed - then sheer joy. I wouldn't take that back for all the world! What makes me most upset was the way that I initially felt ashamed I was running in with her. That sucks, and it is only because of others who have posted things like this. How ridiculous is that?

I'll probably coach them not to do this again, but I'd wager most of the posters who find this activity awful have no children. Yes, there are lines that are crossed (like a double wide stroller stopped under the sign), but playing armchair quaterback watching is easy.

Re: Finish line bs again! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I woulda tripped yer kid ;-P

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't run fast enough to catch her :0

Quote | Reply
I think maybe you ought to be marched out to the freakin' pier and be thrown in with a 100 lb. ball shackled to your feet. You are so ignorant to the sacrifice that IM finisher's families make. My 4 year old little girl to this day still talks about crossing the finish line with me and talks about how she wants to do a race with me one day. I'll never give up that moment of joy crossing the finish line with my 2 kids, especially for tools like you.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply

Prev Next