Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How doable is 2 IMs in one year?
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for IMAZ which will be my first IM. IM Louisville really appeals to me, but I am wondering how possible it is to do 2 Ironman Distance races in one year. They will be 19 weeks apart. I did my first HIM (Wildflower) earlier this year and will compete in my second (SOMA) next week. I have a strong running background and my swimming and cycling are getting better and better. Is it too much to consider doing 2 Ironman races so close together? For anyone who has done it, what sort of program did you use? What sort of recovery period did you take?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How doable is 2 IMs in one year? [triathleteb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that it is very doable to do both. The limiter will mental comittment and focus more than anything physical. 19 weeks is a lot of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your first question should be can I finish one IM in a year.

If its your first year, 19 weeks should be doable. It can depend on how hard you go after both races. You will know after AZ how your body handled it, and have plenty of time to recover.

Stay active after AZ, don't let yourself get stiff with too much rest. You will have to push ourself at times and be ready to deal with pain. It won't be easy, especially the first time you try.

This advice directly from an athlete that does 3- 5 IM per year.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i attempted to do 2 IMs the first year I did an IM (I had many many years of tri experience before attempting IM) - i was just too mentally wasted after the first one to go for the second - decided rather than suffer to drop the second IM.

THe next year I did one IM early in the season and lots of HIMs after that.

The next year (this season) I did 2 IMs 9 weeks apart with a HIM and a HIM distance aquabike + 6.2 M run sandwitched in between. No problem with doing both IMs.

guess what I am saying is ya you can do it - but why bite off so much the first year when you don't even know how your body will react to the IM?

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly "doable", but my question for you is......why?

After AZ, you'll need time to reflect and set your goals for #2. If these are stretch goals, you may be pushing it......

Really comes down to your motivation.
Quote Reply