Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions about Pontevedra.
Quote | Reply
For those who have raced there or are going and have knowledge of the place, I have a few questions.
1. Looks like most bike bags and carriers are too big for Spanish trains officially, but has anyone had difficulties.
2. Doesn't seem to be a lot of lodging in the city. Am I wrong, where did you stay?
3. I will be flying transatlantic. Lisbon or Madrid seem best. Adding a small hop to nearest Airport (Vigo, or Santiago} seems near impossible from Portugal, and expensive from Madrid. Seems like there is only one daily train from Porto and other trains from Porto require bus leg. Correct me if I am wrong.

4 High speed train ( still takes 4hours) from Madrid will not allow bike bag. Is this correct)
5 slow trainfrom.Madrid seems as fast as the high speed train.
6 seems like no cars are allowed downtown, but you probably have to drive to the race because there is not much lodging downtown.
Last edited by: eddoes3: Feb 5, 23 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about Pontevedra. [eddoes3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eddoes3 wrote:
For those who have raced there or are going and have knowledge of the place, I have a few questions.
1. Looks like most bike bags and carriers are too big for Spanish trains officially, but has anyone had difficulties.
2. Doesn't seem to be a lot of lodging in the city. Am I wrong, where did you stay?
3. I will be flying transatlantic. Lisbon or Madrid seem best. Adding a small hop to nearest Airport (Vigo, or Santiago} seems near impossible from Portugal, and expensive from Madrid. Seems like there is only one daily train from Porto and other trains from Porto require bus leg. Correct me if I am wrong.

4 High speed train ( still takes 4hours) from Madrid will not allow bike bag. Is this correct)
5 slow trainfrom.Madrid seems as fast as the high speed train.
6 seems like no cars are allowed downtown, but you probably have to drive to the race because there is not much lodging downtown.

1. Rented a car and didn't take the train
2. Reserved through air bnb
3. Flew into Madrid and rented a car
4. Not sure
5. Not sure
6. You can park easily on the outskirts of the city and walk to anywhere you need to go downtown.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about Pontevedra. [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
4. Not sure
5. Not sure
6. You can park easily on the outskirts of the city and walk to anywhere you need to go downtown.

Thanks. Did you have a bike bag? Any troubles fitting the bike or bikes in the car?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eddoes3 wrote:
vkanders wrote:

4. Not sure
5. Not sure

Thanks. Did you have a bike bag? Any troubles fitting the bike or bikes in the car?

Two bike bags (two people racing). We got, I think, a Mercedes van.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced Du worlds there in 2019, great city to visit, had a wonderful time! All comments subject to assumption location is same:
1. Don't know - the bike went with TriBike Transport.
2. Hotel Rias Bajas through USAT travel package. Was cheaper than the team hotel, city center location, walkable to race start, registration etc.
3. Flew JFK to Madrid and Vigo, then train to Pontevedra. Taxi back to Vigo for return. Traveled light, all went smoothly.
4/5. Dunno
6. Although the run course was through the beautiful historic pedestrian city center, the start/finish stadium was on larger roads that I'd assume you can drive to or near if you are staying further out.
Quote Reply