Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain
Quote | Reply
Hello. This summer we are going to the Basque Country for 4 days as part of a larger extended trip. Will be with the family, so will likely need to have access to a walkable city that ideally also has dedicated parking with lodging (willing to pay if needed, but don't want to be playing musical chairs with the car). We will be there at the start of the Tour (my plan) so we can enjoy that excitement too. With that said, would like to be near or on the coast. We were contemplating LaGuardia and Bilbao initially, but we feel they are either too far from other cities to explore or too modern.

As of now we are considering Hondarribia, Zumaia, Zarautz, or Errenteria. The idea is to be near Donostia-San Sebastian for a few daytrips but essentially not to stay there due to price (as we will be away for a few weeks) and congestion. During this time I will be cycling, running, and maybe swimming too. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We stayed in Hondarribia a few years ago and it was really nice. Beautiful old fortified city, right on the coast w/ a nice beach, great restaurants. And you're right on the French border if you want to go over there. I think Hendaye maybe had nicer beaches than Hondarribia. And you're basically right at the base of the Jaizkibel so good biking right there. I didn't have a bike when I was there was we did some hiking - you're also on a branch of the Camino de Santiago and there's a beautiful trail along the coast that makes for a nice little picnic excursion. Not too far from San Sebastian either, we thought we might try a day trip but liked what Hondaribbia had to offer enough that we didn't find it necessary.

We didn't stay in town but at a Casa Rural which was about a 15 minute walk. Nice bucolic setting. Would do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did some great runs in San Sebastian. I did not bike, but went to Zarautz, San Seb and wine country. It was primarily a pleasure trip to surf and hang with wife, but I did run everyday. Definitely saw lots of cyclists. That area is one of my favorite places. Connect with a bike shop or bike tour for advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. That's great information. Any restaurant recommendations?

Last edited by: TriChris14: Feb 6, 23 0:51
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info. What's your thoughts on the best towns / areas for good nightlife and restaurants?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriChris14 wrote:
Hello. This summer we are going to the Basque Country for 4 days as part of a larger extended trip. Will be with the family, so will likely need to have access to a walkable city that ideally also has dedicated parking with lodging (willing to pay if needed, but don't want to be playing musical chairs with the car). We will be there at the start of the Tour (my plan) so we can enjoy that excitement too. With that said, would like to be near or on the coast. We were contemplating LaGuardia and Bilbao initially, but we feel they are either too far from other cities to explore or too modern.

As of now we are considering Hondarribia, Zumaia, Zarautz, or Errenteria. The idea is to be near Donostia-San Sebastian for a few daytrips but essentially not to stay there due to price (as we will be away for a few weeks) and congestion. During this time I will be cycling, running, and maybe swimming too. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello from Spain,

I visited Hondarribia this november and it is really a beauty place, also Zarautz/Zumaia. Errenteria is good to visit a Typical Cider House (Sidreria). Take into account that the coast is crowded and it is expensive in sommer. I went only for visits, and I don't know many places for training. But there is a big tradition in cycling, in Hondarribia is easy for short running or long trail running. I don't know any pool, but you can easy swim in the beach (check water temperatures it would be nice if you are from San Francisco :P but it is not warm 18-21 degrees Celsius).

I go much often to Cantabria, I know much more. And it is cheaper and also beauty many places to stay, and training. Also a lot of bike tradition.. many routes, many short and long climbing for road or mountain bikes, many paths for running, and easy to swim in in sea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriChris14 wrote:

Hi there, Basque guy here :)

If the idea is to be near Bilbao for the start of the Tour, Getxo is one of the best options in my opinion, if not the best. Perfect place for running, swimming and biking, and Bilbao is just 15' away by subway. Donosti is just a 50' drive from Getxo, and it will be way cheaper. Really beautiful place too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basque country is arguably the best place to eat world wide. Depending on budget, Arzak (three star Michelin) Akelarre (likewise) and just as good but resigned to the stars fanfare zuberoa. Also you must go to the old part of San Sebastian for pintxos, and if possible go to Astigarraga for cider tasting and the typical menu. If you know locals try to get invited to a sociedad gastronĂ³mica, which are private places, like a club, where the members will cook their own dinner. An incredible and unique experience.

By the way, everything I mentioned is around San Sebastian or Donosti in Basque, but you would find similar places in both Bilbao and Vitoria. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great pinxto bars in San Sebastian. Definitely check out Borda Berri. Most of these places are stand at the bar and order small plates (the made to order pinxto bars have the best food). I'm not a fan of the ones where the food is sitting on trays. would make a reservation at Arzak (worth it) and Rekondo. The Guggenheim in Bilbao is worth a visit if you like art. Arraun for cocktails in San Sebastian is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriChris14 wrote:
Thank you. That's great information. Any restaurant recommendations?

Our favourite thing to do in Hondarribia was just bar hop and eat pintxos, and there's tons of great places there. Gran Sol was really good - there was stand-up pintxo bar on one side and next to it was the restaurant component where they had a nice tasting menu experience. Not sure if it's still like that now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are many insightful and helpful recommendations here, but no warnings, so I will be the guy who provides one: beware!

If you go to Basque Country, you will never wish to leave.

The food is amazing, the scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly, and did I mention the food? I stayed in Donostia-San Sebastian for the marathon in 2017, and immediately started to conspire how I could stay forever.

You will have an amazing time, it's fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zarautz is nice, Check out Mundaka also. Car to Irun (not worth staying) and you can ride into the Pyrenees, use Strava heatmaps as and you will freak out about the scenic climbs.

The further west (from San Sebastian) you go, the cheaper. Use Airbnb and look up "Casa Rural" which is country side B&Bs with super reasonable prices and the best hosts you could ever hope for.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... That's why I married a Spanish women (whose about 1/8th Basque)... Sshhhhhh!!!!! Don't need my ulterior motives known.... ;-) Now I need to just get her to move back to Spain....

Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on Staying and Training in Basque Country Spain [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the posts... Great stuff!

Quote Reply