Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Training in Winter for Spring IM [got2triagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got2triagain wrote:
I am kind of in the same situation as the OP. I am training for IM 70.3 Galveston and even though the average temperature here in Louisiana doesn't prevent outdoor riding, this has been a miserably wet month of January and all of my riding has been indoors on the Wahoo. My plan is similar to yours. I will do either IM 70.3 Memphis, or Waco in the fall and IM Texas in May of 24. I have been able to do a couple of 2.5 hour plus rides with very little discomfort. Based on how I feel physically after those rides, I think that 5 plus hours is doable. Mentally I start to struggle not to want to watch the clock at around the 2 hour point, so I know that is where I will need to figure something out. Rouvy, football and Netflix have helped.

I think being comfortable on the bike is half if not most of the battle. I know someone who gets off their bike every hour for a quick break and this person does 5 hr indoor rides all the time. For me I get off the bike after 2 hours to pee and refill my bottles with nutrition. Then I ride for another 90 minutes and do the same (quick break). And then I have 90 minutes to go. I'm only off the bike for 5 mins or less on each break. Same as I would if I was riding outside (pee breaks, getting more water at a general store). Breaking it up into segments helps a ton.That is the only way I can do 5 hrs on the bike. But also I have a workout to follow and Zwift helps a lot. And movies/podcasts are great too.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training in Winter for Spring IM [Rheed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rheed wrote:
Changpao wrote:

At some point you do have to get outside, if for no other reason than to train your neck and shoulders. I held aero position while indoors, but it still isn’t the same. In March and April I did outdoor rides of 100 (twice), 80, and 60 miles. Those were my only outdoor rides before the race. The warmest starting temperature was 32 degrees, which was more than 50 degrees below race day. That speaks to the need to do some heat acclimation in the final few weeks before the race.

Im in a strange situation. Indoors I can barely hold on aero for more than 5 minutes without my whole body screaming, same bike, fitted, with a Tacx Neo 2.

But I can do 5h+ rides "most" of the time on aero just fine on the road. I dont know if its because being completely fixed and no motion while indoors is killing me, but its much much easier on the outside to keep that position. Even that, just one hour indoors in&out of aerobars cause me to have muscular pain for hours after zwifting

In the end I just do normal saddle position and thats it :/

i experience this too, to a lesser degree, but i do think the aspect of being stationary - not physically moving forward, and having those forces contributing to the body position - can affect things. i never wanted to tinker with my setup to tweak the position for indoors, but i know what you mean. i think "whole body screaming" is a bit much, though, are you sure there isn't anything else different from your outdoor to indoor setup? stupid question, do you have the front wheel at the proper height? I have a tacx neo 2 as well and there's a front wheel block as opposed to a wahoo where I don't think you need one for that. Just a theory. if your bike wasn't properly level or something that could be a factor that could make it worse. just thinking out loud.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training in Winter for Spring IM [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

i experience this too, to a lesser degree, but i do think the aspect of being stationary - not physically moving forward, and having those forces contributing to the body position - can affect things. i never wanted to tinker with my setup to tweak the position for indoors, but i know what you mean. i think "whole body screaming" is a bit much, though, are you sure there isn't anything else different from your outdoor to indoor setup? stupid question, do you have the front wheel at the proper height? I have a tacx neo 2 as well and there's a front wheel block as opposed to a wahoo where I don't think you need one for that. Just a theory. if your bike wasn't properly level or something that could be a factor that could make it worse. just thinking out loud.

I have the tacx thingie in front to level up the wheel. I even tried adding something below and level it more, but still being indoors its much more taxing in my body.

Not like I care much tbh, as I said I can hold on well enough at aero on the road, I might not be able to train to 100% while indoor but Im not gonna KQ anyway so :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next