Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TheProfessor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After watching a clip on GTN, I told myself h*ll no, I ain't signing up for Chatt. 70.3, then I listened to HOW THEY TRAIN, I promptly signed up for Chatt. 70.3. As simple as that, I formed my own opinion, and I'm willing to buy the product. It's a product, and I'm buying for me...me...me..., not world championships, not the pros (all due respects). I'm the IM target consumer!
Last edited by: BangTexas: Feb 11, 23 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should also be noted WT requires host city to pay basically a $300k “broadcast” fee as part of being host city on the WCTS. I don’t think that’s required of the World Cup level events.

It’s one of the issues of location for races within these cities. It’s almost always then in the section the host city wants to “promote” it’s city.

So that may make it slightly cheaper than it likely could be etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes single day worked for 40 years but then we managed to make it a 2 day event. And that was hugely popular for the sport, for the athletes, for everyone but the host town. Guess what? This is a GOOD thing that the sport gets its own race days now. There is no going back at this point, and it is beyond just money grab. It’s as slowman says “we’ve out grown” it now. So if that means in 5 years Kona is out completely and only part of some rotation, I think that’s a good thing. We aren’t “bound” to Kona only etc.

You aren’t going to make a single day broadcast and not have each race take from the other. So if you’re telling me I have to watch split screen, when many are already watching from a computer / tablet etc? No thanks.

So I don’t see how you can go back to 1 day and make both races be the “marquee” broadcast event.
For someone who “spoke” for so many people, 1 day only event is not even in the conversation anymore. That’s not reading the room of the sport very well harping on that idea imo.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 11, 23 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a fairness question. Single day never actually worked. When you look at the women's professional race, if you care for that. Their race has been impacted by male amateurs for how long? IM finally has a fair race and it was epic? Why would they go back?

Jack has some amazing podcasts. But he also acts like a 12 year old.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just waiting for Ironman to announce Ironman Hawaii Non-WC One Day VIP event: Race the iconic Ironman Hawaii for only 2500 euros.

Will sell out 100% - good profits too and the Island is happy, that rather than the Eat-My-Quinoa-At-Home crowd, people with real dough will come and support the community.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see it is (for now) Patreon only. Kinda disappointing :)

Did anybody listen and can share some conclusions or nasty hints?

B_Doughtie wrote:
Is this going to be “patreon only” content or will the free version be out in another week?

Jack mentioned only patreon was getting the “inside” scoop on all the “ban” info. Wasnt sure if there was going to be another episode on the talk.
Last edited by: Mulen: Feb 12, 23 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TheProfessor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, those that know me know I'm no fan of Messick and my perception that he is a cold, feelingless person, so I had hoped this interview would reinforce that belief as I really like Jack and his podcast.

I was honestly really surprised. Jack came out guns blazing, very aggressive, delivering questions in a style that I would expect a politician to deliver to the person he is running against, a question veiled in a mist of "f*#k you". Felt like Messick was trying to be neutral, but every time he answered, Jack came back with an even more aggressive statement that he was trying to frame as a question. His contrasts to other sports just didn't resonate with me. Felt like he came off worse than Messick did.

It's good to have passion, and you could tell he has a tremendous amount of passion over Ironman's lack of ownership of helping lift of pros, but think there was a better way to go about poking at that.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
It's a fairness question. Single day never actually worked. When you look at the women's professional race, if you care for that. Their race has been impacted by male amateurs for how long? IM finally has a fair race and it was epic? Why would they go back?
Question for you: how has the WPRO race at Kona been "impacted by male amateurs" from a competitive PoV?
Observations: Any top male amateur good enough to catch the 15th woman on the bike (so catching 25 minutes) is going to blast past them so not 'impact' the women's race. I haven't seen any men pace the top 10 WPROs on the run. So no impact there.
https://www.tri247.com/...ona-wave-starts-2019
The impact is presentational:
1) coverage (not sure what the split was at St George in May but it seemed reasonably balanced, and remember the women get an extra 40 minutes after the top 5 men have finished
2) interleafing the MPRO podium and the potential critical moves in the WPRO race
3) WPRO winner/leading athletes coming in to the MPRO after-party.

I'm sure others can add more.
There was a bit of this with the discussion in October last year, one whether the two day Kona would be MPRO on Thursday and WPRO on Saturday in 2023. Taking the MPRO off to Nice has sorted that: the interested across the world will be able to watch both IMWCs on Saturdays.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every male amateur that slots in catches his breath and then continues has an impact on the women's race. There are enough of them that this matters. Does it effect the top 10? I'm not sure. But the bottom 30 it definitely does.

So if you care about pro racing and the pro racing broadcast product, then you want a critical separation between WPRO and MAmateur. This is even a bigger competitive equity issue at regular Ironmans. Is there a solution for those races? Yes, increase the time gap between WPRO and wave one, but I'm not sure that is too much of an issue since we've moved to rolling start. We don't have a rolling start at Kona of four people at a time do we?

I understand that in a lot of my posts I've mentioned that IM doesn't need pros at races, it doesn't. But that doesn't mean I don't actually enjoy the sport. I'm a big fan of professional triathlon.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, whose opinion should I trust?

- some rando on the internet that thinks it’s not a big deal?

- actual WPROs that have literally said that AG men interfere in their race?
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [mark308] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s a multi-hyphenate that is hard to pin down. But I have done it a few times:

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowly but surely Jack Kelly shows his true colours to everyone. I figured him out after one episode, gave him a chance and now I find his style repulsive. Nothing genuine or sincere about this guy. That doesn't work.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to disagree with you there. I enjoy most of what Jack puts out. I find it refreshing someone who asks hard hitting questions and not this babbitt style of interview. He's still raw but find him improving all the time. This latest episode with Messick was far better and they both came across a lot better particularly Messick
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [BFG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BFG wrote:
Have to disagree with you there. I enjoy most of what Jack puts out. I find it refreshing someone who asks hard hitting questions and not this babbitt style of interview. He's still raw but find him improving all the time. This latest episode with Messick was far better and they both came across a lot better particularly Messick

Messick came across better because he wasn’t eating lunch this time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next