Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans
Quote | Reply
The domed stadium thread and a recent PTI episode got me thinking.

The Frozen Tundra NFC Championship game of '66 and harsh northern clime weather of early January was one factor for why the NFL set it up so that the last game would be played at a neutral site (less Tampa and LA games of late) that was warm or domed. The other reason that has grown out of this siting decision was the ability the for the league to plan out in advance the set up of their 2 week hype machine complete with it's own media circus. Neutral siting for a fairness rational was also a driving factor. So, much like the Olympics and the IOC's site selection, the Super Bowl siting has become somewhat more about the money with the emphasis on the destination site and not the local fans buying tickets and providing butts in the seats cheering on their team.

Given that the date of the game has now been moved back to mid Feb. our global warming allows for less concern for really harsh weather, would you be in favor of the NFL to play the game at one of the team's home field? With either alternate or best record as criteria for site selection.

It definitely would allow for the home fans to be more involved. The stands to be filled with cheers and boos. More energy and less Benjamins.
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
The domed stadium thread and a recent PTI episode got me thinking.

The Frozen Tundra NFC Championship game of '66 and harsh northern clime weather of early January was one factor for why the NFL set it up so that the last game would be played at a neutral site (less Tampa and LA games of late) that was warm or domed. The other reason that has grown out of this siting decision was the ability the for the league to plan out in advance the set up of their 2 week hype machine complete with it's own media circus. Neutral siting for a fairness rational was also a driving factor. So, much like the Olympics and the IOC's site selection, the Super Bowl siting has become somewhat more about the money with the emphasis on the destination site and not the local fans buying tickets and providing butts in the seats cheering on their team.

Given that the date of the game has now been moved back to mid Feb. our global warming allows for less concern for really harsh weather, would you be in favor of the NFL to play the game at one of the team's home field? With either alternate or best record as criteria for site selection.

It definitely would allow for the home fans to be more involved. The stands to be filled with cheers and boos. More energy and less Benjamins.

I am SHOCKED!!! SHocked I tells ya!
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it as it is. Weather is only one factor. Having a neutral site helps even out the noise from the fans. Some teams have a huge advantage playing at home. It's not like baseball, basketball or hockey where each team gets to play at least two games at home.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the NFL taking ad money from the Christian group He Gets Us? I don't recall religion (Christian or otherwise) ever bing advertised during NFL games. Seems, odd-ish.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you should post that title. Yesterday's NYTimes crossword puzzle's theme (given by the answer to the central clue "Space Travel")
had "Superb Owl" as a punny answer.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man, watch the spoilers!

Me and the Mrs. haven't had a chance to give this week's puzzle a go yet.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
How about the NFL taking ad money from the Christian group He Gets Us? I don't recall religion (Christian or otherwise) ever bing advertised during NFL games. Seems, odd-ish.

I wasn't even sure if they are from a Christian group or a group reminding Christian Conservatives that perhaps they aren't following the Bible.
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

You should have seen it during the playoffs and you will see it this year during the SB, because they're spending all that money to get 2 ads on the air.

They haven't been overtly religious like, "Come to our church,...it's the best!" They've been ads aimed more at generic inclusiveness usually with a tagline or two at the end about how Jesus gets us and loves everyone, and so should we.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [mbeaugard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbeaugard wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I wasn't even sure if they are from a Christian group or a group reminding Christian Conservatives that perhaps they aren't following the Bible.

I have seen their commercials several times and I don't really understand what they're trying to say unless it is all geared towards driving traffic to their website.
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [mbeaugard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbeaugard wrote:
mck414 wrote:
How about the NFL taking ad money from the Christian group He Gets Us? I don't recall religion (Christian or otherwise) ever being advertised during NFL games. Seems, odd-ish.

I've seen those spots all over for a while now, and I do read them like "Hey, Evangelicals!!! You're kinda missing something"

Like, Jesus was a refugee, so you should probably be a little bit more caring about people who are in this country because they have nowhere else to go

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Hey man, watch the spoilers!

Me and the Mrs. haven't had a chance to give this week's puzzle a go yet.

Dude, NYTimes crosswords should be the first thing you do every day.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the two, and you could probably do both at the same time

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Superb Owl-- All 'bout the Benjamins baby and not the fans [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
One of the two, and you could probably do both at the same time

So you're ambidextrous and a proponent of the 21/mo program?

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply