Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: vegan birth control [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
For many vegans it's not an all or nothing kinda deal. It's doing what you can reasonably speaking to avoid animal products and cause as little harm/suffering as possible with one's choices.

I'm a vegetarian and have been since I was 12 years old. I'm wearing uggs right now. They were a gift, and they are soooo warm. They last many years. So I'm ok with that. I probably won't buy a new pair when I wear these out but as I said they were a gift.

I took a collagen supplement when I was trying to get a fracture to heal. If it didn't heal it was going to massively impact my quality of life.
vegetarian ≠ vegan

True.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thought. Wasn't birth control not allowed at one time in the Catholic church? I'm sincerely asking if anyone knows this or the full details. When I google this I find that one of the popes in 1968 banned birth control but can't get much info (ok don't have time to research it at the moment, just got off the bike trainer). My point is that there are a lot of misunderstandings about groups of people we don't fully understand (and maybe dislike openly or subconsciously)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Jan 30, 23 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Another thought. Wasn't birth control not allowed at one time in the Catholic church? I'm sincerely asking if anyone knows this or the full details. When I google this I find that one of the popes in 1968 banned birth control but can't get much info (ok don't have time to research it at the moment, just got off the bike trainer). My point is that there are a lot of misunderstandings about groups of people we don't fully understand (and maybe dislike openly or subconsciously)

The Catholic church hierarchy forbids all forms of artificial contraception, including condoms, birth control pills, IUDs (intrauterine devices), tubal ligation, vasectomies, and emergency contraception like Plan B. (Source)
Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

The Catholic church hierarchy forbids all forms of artificial contraception, including condoms, birth control pills, IUDs (intrauterine devices), tubal ligation, vasectomies, and emergency contraception like Plan B. (Source)

That seems restrictive to me. But assuming many will do what is best and necessary for their own lives regardless of what their church dictates.

Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Precreation > Recreation

The girl who tried to kill me always said that Nuns were either: girls who were raped by priests as children, lesbians, witches, or any combination of the three, so the joining the convent was the safest place for them 'lest they begot demon children'

ETA: The Asian concubine proverb "A stork brings a baby; a swallow does not"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jan 30, 23 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
Bright colors symbolize a lack of humility.

Apparently, some Amish do not have a "humility" problem LOL

Dark green, grey, black. Muted colors - all good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
renorider wrote:
vasectomies are vegan, right?

this seems to be one of those areas where commitment to that way of life is a euphemism for constantly finding new and creative ways to make oneself miserable

There are different types of lifestyles out there that I would consider to be miserable.......only because I do not understand such lifestyles or have not bothered to learn more about them.

Point taken; wasn't belittling.

Any ideology taken to hardcore levels is bound to approach self-flagellation, be it dietary, lifestyle, religion, you name it.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
My point is that there are a lot of misunderstandings about groups of people we don't fully understand (and maybe dislike openly or subconsciously)

i've got no beef with vegans
Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Dumb question, but what are the animal ingredients in condoms?

Condoms often contain meat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegans might choose not to get waxed, if their aesthetician uses a beeswax application

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Vegans might choose not to get waxed, if their aesthetician uses a beeswax application

It's easy to find vegan wax and plenty have that option or prefer to use it.

There is also laser hair removal which is expensive and painful. But getting a Brazilian wax job is no picnic either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know, thanks

For some reason I was thinking of other things vegans might have issues with - I know honey is out, so probably beeswax would be too, and what would you find/use beeswax for

Carry on

Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
My point is that there are a lot of misunderstandings about groups of people we don't fully understand (and maybe dislike openly or subconsciously)

i've got no beef with vegans

Your comment is distasteful. Ha! Just kidding. I like puns too.

FWIW, some of our best friends in our new home raise about a dozen grass-fed beef on their property every year and sell the meat locally. An unlikely friendship but we actually don't have many vegan friends except for two different sets of couples who run small animal sanctuaries. Not that we don't like other vegans but most are younger. Vegans in their 50s are rare. We grew up in different times compared to younger people having more access to information (social media).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Good to know, thanks

For some reason I was thinking of other things vegans might have issues with - I know honey is out, so probably beeswax would be too, and what would you find/use beeswax for

Carry on

For the most part vegans don't consume honey.

Local honey in Vermont is much better for the bees compared to huge industrial bee keeping. But I actually don't really like honey. It's too sweet for me and I don't feel good when I have eaten it in the past. I much prefer maple syrup. And it's pretty sweet (ha!) that we are surrounded by a huge maple sugar operation in part of the 500 acres of forest that surrounds us.

That being said, our great friend Joe, another new local friend/neighbor who we open water swim with makes vegetarian chili with a bit of local honey. The past two xmas eves we have been over his house, and he makes this for us. I don't have the heart to tell him we don't eat honey, so I just eat it and make sure he knows we appreciate his efforts. I mean I would feel like a complete asshat if I complained about the honey. Actually he did ask us about it and I said that I'm not a stickler with a little bit of local honey once in a while. It's not like he's adding beef. And he also goes out of his way to buy vegan sausages for this chili.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

Yeah, I know some vegans who'll go on about honey being based off unethical theft from bees. While I'm generally supportive of veganism, that's a bridge too far for me.

But the thing I'm afraid to point out to those same vegans is they mostly have dogs/cats as pets. And I'm not that concerned about the direct pet ownership. I could see that as being a mutually beneficial relationship with a human. As long as the pets come from shelters and not questionable breeding practices. But the pet food. I think you can get away with a vegan dog diet if you're careful, but I think cats absolutely need meat. And the industry supplying that meat probably isn't pretty to see under the hood. I'd think it'd be hard to square hardcore (honey-grade) veganism with cat ownership. With even dogs being iffy.
Quote Reply
Re: vegan birth control [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Yeah, I know some vegans who'll go on about honey being based off unethical theft from bees. While I'm generally supportive of veganism, that's a bridge too far for me.

But the thing I'm afraid to point out to those same vegans is they mostly have dogs/cats as pets. And I'm not that concerned about the direct pet ownership. I could see that as being a mutually beneficial relationship with a human. As long as the pets come from shelters and not questionable breeding practices. But the pet food. I think you can get away with a vegan dog diet if you're careful, but I think cats absolutely need meat. And the industry supplying that meat probably isn't pretty to see under the hood. I'd think it'd be hard to square hardcore (honey-grade) veganism with cat ownership. With even dogs being iffy.

Yeah I totally understand all this. Vegans love having cats and dogs as companions. Most of the time they are rescues. We are cat people and have three cats. Our newest family member, Tabasco was born under a porch from a stray (who has also been rescued and spayed). We feed our cats the best quality food we can, and it is all meat-based. They are true carnivores, and I don't trust vegan cat food. I don't enjoy dealing with their food, but it would be cruel and unhealthy to feed them plant-based food. Humans can survive w/o meat. As a long-time endurance athlete, I can say that some (if not many) folks can thrive w/o meat. Cats cannot. I don't know that much about dogs to really comment. But they are omnivores if I understand correctly. Still I would probably feed a dog a more meat-based diet. I've seen what the coyotes do to a deer carcass when they are done feeding. Came across one in the woods recently.

Some vegans do believe animals should not be "pets". But most vegans I know or have met in the past live with companion animals. Again, being vegan is not about being perfect. We love our cats like children and would do anything for them. I often joke that if I had to come back for a second life, I'd like to be one of my lazy house cats who lead lives of luxury. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should start a thread called "Veganism, myths and truths...ask me anything"......like some of the "ask me anything" threads on the tri forum.

:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd follow that

My daughter was vegetarian for a couple years before she started college - as the house chef, I was "semi-"

I remain Veggie-Curious, if that's a thing?

Quote Reply

Prev Next