Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evidently snowblowers have belts
Quote | Reply
Of some kind and when they break they get caught in the paddle thingy.

How hard are these to change? This thing is 20 years old should I just get a new one after this winter when they go on sale? Figure with labor it'll be 200 bucks to change out (annual checkups are 150 before parts so that's where my guess comes from)
Last edited by: windywave: Jan 29, 23 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not hard to change but lousy timing to fail now. About to get to work on the 6-8" here...hope my blower's belt hangs in there.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Not hard to change but lousy timing to fail now. About to get to work on the 6-8" here...hope my blower's belt hangs in there.

Driveway is done already....I also have a single stage electric as a backup....I did a pass last night so only 3 inches or so to do this morning (and the driveway lip from the plow)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know Windy, if it has an old Briggs and Stratton engine it may out last you. I thought mine was a goner several years ago, but still starts on one or two pulls even in the cold. Simple mechanics with a manual choke.
I thru my belt and busted a couple little parts when I ran over a snow boulder off someones wheel well. Cost me like $50 and back in business.
Last edited by: G-man: Jan 29, 23 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I don't know Windy, if it has an old Briggs and Stratton engine it may out last you. I thought mine was a goner several years ago, but still starts on one or two pulls even in the cold. Simple mechanics with a manual choke.

It's a toro....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Belts?no stinking belts

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
G-man wrote:

It's a toro....

Did toro make their own engines 20 years ago or are they just rebadged?

I would likely get a quote for repair before I replaced it. In general with standard maintenance, these things seem reasonably bomb proof for the few times a year you are likely to use it.

Of course, if you are looking to replace with a battery operated, then that is a different discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shovels don't have belts. But then they do require an operator just like your blower. So says the man who gets snow once every 2 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this snow blower the best.

Super reliable, easy to maintain and repair.

Keeps you fit too ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always check youtube for any mechanical repair. https://www.youtube.com/...t+on+toro+snowblower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Of some kind and when they break they get caught in the paddle thingy.

How hard are these to change? This thing is 20 years old should I just get a new one after this winter when they go on sale? Figure with labor it'll be 200 bucks to change out (annual checkups are 150 before parts so that's where my guess comes from)

Belts are usually considered serviceable so they are pretty easy to get to. Funny how they never break when just sitting there in the summer.. LOL.

The one I had to do, was about 6 bolts, took about 10 min. Took more time getting the replacement belt, than it did to repair it.

A quick google of your model should find you a video on how to do it.

Anyone who doesn't at least first look at how to do it, before paying someone is nuts or lazy.

Of course your paying $150 for annual checkup that didn't catch a worn belt. I would recommend finding a new shop. Unless they said hey this belt is getting old you should replace it and you said naa it will be fine.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:

Well it’s not likely to fail in the summer.

Why doesn’t he just shovel like a real man?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

.. hey now .. this Forum is for former athletes, so ..... risk factors 'n all

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
BLeP wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

.. hey now .. this Forum is for former athletes, so ..... risk factors 'n all

Oh shit.. Did I miss a requirement somewhere? Pretty sure the former name sake of this forum was not a former athlete. Still thinking of you Tibbs where ever you are.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
G-man wrote:

It's a toro....

Toro should last a long time. Problem is, the maintenance needs to be done such a as replacing a worn belt every decade or so. Agreed with the poster that said paying $150 for a check up that did not catch a belt that could use replacing might mean you should find a new shop. That is of course unless you have been using your snowblower every day this winter and seriously increasing the wear rate on parts…
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Keeps you fit too ...
Those plastic shovels are crap. Get a steel one so you can beat on the ice and it doesn't shatter when it's twenty below.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Keeps you fit too ...

Those plastic shovels are crap. Get a steel one so you can beat on the ice and it doesn't shatter when it's twenty below.

Agreed, but I couldn't find an online pic of a steel one at such short notice ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Evidently snowblowers have belts [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Keeps you fit too ...

get a yooper scooper if your going bring out a shovel.. bring out a shovel. https://www.ebay.com/itm/313277311858

Just Triing
Quote Reply