Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any ceiling drywall repair experts out there?
Quote | Reply
So a stupid kid electrician, dropped his impact hammer when in my attic.. Got $450 back from electrical company.. not worth the money though. Crack in bathroom ceiling is about 4 - 5ft long. This morning noticed one side sagging so thought, i should do some prevent and screw it back up.. held for 2 sec. head popped through.. ok i'll creep up on it.. so I went about 18" away to next screw, moved over about 2" put in screw, moved 2" over put in next screw. Okay this is working, next one.. nope popped out, If I push on ceiling now i can not get the 2 pieces flush across crack.. I guess I need to just cut out crack and make a deep V and hope that allows the 2 halfs to go flush again?? I cant imagine any blown in insulation got between and is stopping it, I could check I guess..

Arggg...

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Any ceiling drywall repair experts out there? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call a guy. I do an awful lot myself, but this is worth it.

Drywall guys aren't expensive and they know their shit. I had a tenant fuck up a ceiling by flooding their washing machine somehow then smearing a bunch of spackle o it to pretend to fix it.

I had a guy come out and cut the bad out and patch it. Re-textured the bad bit. You couldn't tell the new from the old. I think it cost $600. And that was for around 1/3 of the living room being done.

In contrast, around 1980 the upstairs toilet leaked in my parents' house. My finish carpenter father "fixed" it. It is still painfully obvious in 2023.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Any ceiling drywall repair experts out there? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second this. I was selling a house and it had a crack in the ceiling. I didn't want the BS of "but there's a crack in the ceiling". Neighbor is a carpenter/remodeler he said local drywall supply company has a list of guys that do odd jobs. LSS - worked out great and was reasonable $ couldn't see repair. Only problem was it was a non textured ceiling and I had to paint the whole room. Ceiling painting sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a crack along a poorly taped joint. Also, sounds more like the electrician "dropped" his foot on the joint. Dropping a drill won't cause a crack that bad, especially since there should be insulation there to cushion the blow.

Anyways, your screws aren't holding because they're missing the backing. I'd just call a guy. Even if you screw it back, you'll need to call someone to mud the ceiling to fix the crack. That part is an art and not really for an inexperienced diy'er.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Any ceiling drywall repair experts out there? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Sounds like a crack along a poorly taped joint. Also, sounds more like the electrician "dropped" his foot on the joint. Dropping a drill won't cause a crack that bad, especially since there should be insulation there to cushion the blow.

Anyways, your screws aren't holding because they're missing the backing. I'd just call a guy. Even if you screw it back, you'll need to call someone to mud the ceiling to fix the crack. That part is an art and not really for an inexperienced diy'er.

No if you miss the joist, the screw just stops going in cause there is nothing but air to pull the screw higher. and it went in and all was good then pop the ceiling pushed out, clearly something was pushing the drywall down. No not a tape job just a long crack.

So there was a nail hidden that was preventing it from going in. Dug that out screwed it in. Still not perfectly flush but after v ing the crack, filling it, taping mudding, etc it should be fine.
Finished my whole basement and learned to mud and tape down there lots of sanding to begin the job, but by the time I was done with the basement Im not bad. can get a finish as good as a lot of pro's just might take me a few more tries.

Had a wall that the previous owner ? some kids? who knows how was built in the 70s had carved into the drywall in the hall. Who ever "repaired" it tried but I could still see it pretty easily. After a few attempts figured there were 2 solutions, replace the drywall, or just put a thick skim coat over it. So I did that, wall looks great and the KKK is now covered over.

Wife is a bit happy this happened, as I had fixed a roof leak, and repaired the ceiling, but never painted so there has been a spot that needed painting for a couple years. Well the whole ceiling will need to be repainted when I am done, so she gets that to do finally done. LOL

Hiring someone these days, is a pain in the butt, then you need to wait for them, then they will screw it up.. Should have just done the electrical myself, instead of having this kid here for a day, and breaking my ceiling. Well Chevy paid for the EV plug so I thought free was better, but now I'll have $450 in my pocket, and have spent my time doing drywall repair instead of electrical. Would have preferred to just do the electrical.

Most "pro's" are not as picky as the home owner. Wife painted the ceiling in one room, spent way to long on the wall to ceiling edge and still was not happy. Few years later we had an addition done, When the painters were done in there, I took her on a tour of their job vs her's. no comparison, her edge work was far more precise. But theirs was just fine, and what 95% of houses look like.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did fixed roughly 1000 sqf of "pillowed" ceiling drywall with a drywall jack and drywall washers. Lowes sells them as "sealing washers" and home-depot calls them plater and lath washers. It was pretty labor intensive, but the material cost was low. Be careful along edges in the room as it isn't uncommon for ceiling drywall to be unfastened and sitting on the walls - this prevents seasonal truss uplift from cracking the corner.

Does the crack run along a seam or is it in the middle of a sheet?
Quote Reply
Re: Any ceiling drywall repair experts out there? [wakinglife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wakinglife wrote:
I did fixed roughly 1000 sqf of "pillowed" ceiling drywall with a drywall jack and drywall washers. Lowes sells them as "sealing washers" and home-depot calls them plater and lath washers. It was pretty labor intensive, but the material cost was low. Be careful along edges in the room as it isn't uncommon for ceiling drywall to be unfastened and sitting on the walls - this prevents seasonal truss uplift from cracking the corner.

Does the crack run along a seam or is it in the middle of a sheet?

Room is about 4x5 so pretty sure ceiling is just one peice. crack runs along the 5' length for about 4+ feet trusses are 24 on center and crack crossed 2 of them. Issue was only at 1. OH its about 1 ft ish from the edge, so will feather out to edge which should help, if I can avoid having to actually do the edge, of course it curves into the corner, and there are multiple cracks (must have been point of impact or foot) that part seems firm at least. I should have known there was a nail, cause the distance to the next one was way to big, and I was like wow they really skimped in the 70's on nails.. LOL idiot.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drywalling, especially a ceiling, is a complete pain in the ass for amateurs. Also, make sure you get the right filter for your shop vacuum, that fine dust from sanding will murder it.
Quote Reply