Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2023 Oscar best picture [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I just watched The Banshees of Inisherin. Wow, some terrific acting, especially Colin Farrell. Beautifully shot, though not nominated for cinematography. I liked it. Lots to think about after.

I watched this the other night. If you want a movie with a great story and acting it’s a good one. If you want a fast paced action movie, stay away, it’s all talk and little action. It is a great story though.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I just watched The Banshees of Inisherin. Wow, some terrific acting, especially Colin Farrell. Beautifully shot, though not nominated for cinematography. I liked it. Lots to think about after.

I liked it as well, but I think I would have been happier if it had ended about 3min earlier. It would have had a more satisfying Edgar Allen Poe type of feel to it, rather than the softer ending it actually had.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Oscar best picture [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I liked it as well, but I think I would have been happier if it had ended about 3min earlier. It would have had a more satisfying Edgar Allen Poe type of feel to it, rather than the softer ending it actually had.

In my opinion, The ending underscores the allegory of the movie. I'll withhold my interpretation of the film for now, as that is likely a major spoiler.

I'm not sure how this does not win best picture. It's everything for which the academy drools. The only other contender is everything everywhere all at once. But the older audience that compromise the academy will lean towards Banshees.

Agree the acting is stellar. Kerry Condon should win for supporting actress. But there two nostalgic entries that could take that category. Colin will not win. I suspect, due to recent news, that goes to Austin Butler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best movie review for Top Gun Maverick that l have seen (time stamped to go directly to the review):

https://m.youtube.com/...pXK3938bwU&t=575

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Oscar best picture [sweathog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweathog wrote:
slowguy wrote:
ironclm wrote:

In my opinion, The ending underscores the allegory of the movie. I'll withhold my interpretation of the film for now, as that is likely a major spoiler.

I'm not sure how this does not win best picture. It's everything for which the academy drools. The only other contender is everything everywhere all at once. But the older audience that compromise the academy will lean towards Banshees.

Agree the acting is stellar. Kerry Condon should win for supporting actress. But there two nostalgic entries that could take that category. Colin will not win. I suspect, due to recent news, that goes to Austin Butler.

i watched it as a movie about a little community on an island of the coast of ireland in the 1920s and was entertained. Beautifully shot and acted. Felt a bit dumb for not seeing what it was really about at the time, but that extra level makes it a masterpiece.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched Elvis on Netflix over the last two days. I’m not much of a musician biopic guy, but I thoroughly enjoyed this movies. Austin Butler is a serious talent; I didn’t know he played the lead role here, and only recently got familiar with him through Masters of the Air and Dune 2. I would rank him second in the genre only behind Val Kilmer’s Jim Morrison. It was a treat to watch him on screen, and impressive how well he could match early Elvis’ vocals (the later years were reportedly a mix of Butler and Elvis). I don’t believe he won any academy awards for this role but it was a major feat to pull that off as he did.

Honesty, I felt he was “acting” less than Tom Hanks as the Colonel, and more natural in the role of the two.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next