Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]

Ajax Bay wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
It looks like the PTO are adding - what was - Challenge London to their roster. https://www.cityam.com/...e-to-central-london/
PTO announcement: https://protriathletes.org/...r-expanding-ptotour/
"In addition to the existing schedule of races already planned for the weekend of 27-28 July, 2024, the PTO will add its made-for-TV 100km . . . "

I've raced London 3 times, twice as the London Triathlon and last year as Challenge London and swore I wouldn't do it again after last year. The bike course is so overcrowded with extremely mixed abilities (it's a very popular first-time race) it felt unsafe and you could forget even trying to ride at a legal distance. Swimming in the Thames is also gross and I didn't like the indoor finish.

It sounds like the PTO race will be completely separate though so I guess overcrowding on the bike won't be an issue, and it should look good on TV having the race go right through central London. It's well spectated too.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]

cherry_bomb wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
It looks like the PTO are adding - what was - Challenge London to their roster. https://www.cityam.com/...e-to-central-london/
PTO announcement: https://protriathletes.org/...r-expanding-ptotour/
"In addition to the existing schedule of races already planned for the weekend of 27-28 July, 2024, the PTO will add its made-for-TV 100km . . . "

I've raced London 3 times, twice as the London Triathlon and last year as Challenge London and swore I wouldn't do it again after last year. The bike course is so overcrowded with extremely mixed abilities (it's a very popular first-time race) it felt unsafe and you could forget even trying to ride at a legal distance. Swimming in the Thames is also gross and I didn't like the indoor finish.

It sounds like the PTO race will be completely separate though so I guess overcrowding on the bike won't be an issue, and it should look good on TV having the race go right through central London. It's well spectated too.

I did London as my first triathlon in 2017. It was awful, for the reasons you stated. I think if I wasnt signed up to Weymouth 70.3 later in the year, it would probably have been the end of my triathlon experience! Interesting to see how the PTO race goes, slightly annoying its that weekend as I live about an hour from the venue but am racing Outlaw so wont get to go and watch.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]

It's not like Ironman never thought about that.

-------

I actually don't think IM has thought about that because they've never really had the capacity to go after big time companies to invest in the product....because IM has no product to put in front of masses (it doesn't care/need too). IM has an *HELLA SUCCESSFUL* race production company that a few times a year broadcasts events. What events they broadcast is very random and the only certain broadcasts are the world championships.

PTO on the other hand is creating an professional racing series that is basically "made for tv". There's no worry about AG race production "paying for" the pro side. The pro side is covered, they have the investment, to actually make it happen. Whether or not it sticks and is long term is then going to be up to the public, etc to then get more investment (through advertising or buying rights to the actual broadcast).

So no imo they aren't even in the same stratosphere in this actual context of professional racing goals/demands/expectations.

Very similiar to WT vs SLT. WT is the authority within the sport of triathlon, they are the overseer. Sure their golden child is the draft legal olympic race, but they have so many other things on their plate. SLT can pretty much go all in on investing in 30 of the best short course athletes to make the best "made for tv" sprint product on the planet. Likely much better than WT's own WTCS series. But SLT's ability and limitations are likely less strict than WT's.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 30, 24 6:54

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [] [ In reply to ]

Good bye "PTO Tour".
Welcome to the T100 Triathlon World Tour official
https://t100triathlon.com/
"The 2024 T100 Triathlon World Tour will take the world’s best pro triathletes on a globe-trotting adventure as they battle it out in 8 iconic locations finishing at the T100 Grand Final, where the first-ever T100 World Champions will be crowned."
https://t100triathlon.com/...d-to-the-grand-final (lists the venues(ish) and dates)
Besides what's already been announced (including London yesterday) and others this channel has deduced (see upthread):

June in "southern California"
November in Dubai
Grand Final - venue yet to be 'revealed' 29-30 Nov (NB Friday/Saturday)

Renouf interview incoming (1100 CST):
https://podcasts.apple.com/...ri-news/id1559781865
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jan 30, 24 8:31

This probably deserves a new proper thread at this point.

Miami - March 8-10
Singapore - April 13-14
California - TBD (lolololol)
London - July 27-28
Ibiza - September 28-29
Las Vegas - October 21-22
Dubai - November 16-17
Grand Final (TBD) - November 29-30

Women:
Haug
Gentle
Knibb
LCB
Philipp
Matthews
Findlay
Ryf
Simmonds
Pallant-Browne
Sodaro
Pierre
Monech
Jewett
Lee
Watkinson
Lawrence
Spivy
Duffy
Byrum

Men:
Ditlev
West
Heemeryck
Margirier
Von Berg
Chevalier
Long
Baekkegard
Weiss
Laidlow
Funke
Mignon
Royle
McNamee
Knute
Neumann
Bogen
Gomez
Van Riel
Brownlee
Last edited by: Lagoon: Jan 30, 24 8:34

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]

Lagoon wrote:
Miami - March 8-10
Singapore - April 13-14
London - July 27-28
Ibiza - September 28-29
Dubai - November 16-17

What an F'ing bush league organization.......waited all this long & still 2 events are "TBD" including the Grand Finale!!!!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.

Front page story incoming with full details. We're on embargo for another 30 mins.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [japarker24] [ In reply to ]

japarker24 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Miami - March 8-10
Singapore - April 13-14
London - July 27-28
Ibiza - September 28-29
Dubai - November 16-17

What an F'ing bush league organization.......waited all this long & still 2 events are "TBD" including the Grand Finale!!!!!!!

It’s a very good program, PTO did a great job with so much flexibility, only need to commit to 5 races (including grand finals) which gives athletes a chance to do an IM or Roth, and qualify for WC

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [asianzone] [ In reply to ]

asianzone wrote:
It’s a very good program, PTO did a great job with so much flexibility, only need to commit to 5 races (including grand finals) which gives athletes a chance to do an IM or Roth, and qualify for WC
"With 8 races in the 2024 T100 season, each contracted pro will need to race a minimum of 5 events plus the T100 Grand Final. The sum of each athlete’s 4 best point-scoring performances over the T100 season will be crowned the first-ever T100 World Champion. For those athletes who are also racing the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, the minimum number of races required is 3 plus the T100 Grand Final."
Contract for 5 plus the GF unless racing in Paris in which case 3+GF.
For the World Triathlon sanctioned T100 Championships, best 4 scores are taken.

Ah a total of 6. It’s still a good program with flexibility. Most will be able to do it and 2 IMs and have a full season
It does show PTO does take into account what most pros are probably looking out for

--------

@ajax you should start a new thread on this. Let this "old" thread die off imo. Especially with the new "rebranding" series.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...d_Athletes_8884.html

Lagoon wrote:
Women:
Pierré
Moench
Lawrence
Spivey
Byram
Men:
Funke
Kanute
FTFY
Maybe Ryan can start one, giving a link to his 'front page' article.
(Have fixed a few spellings for you, since they are athletes' names.)
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jan 30, 24 8:58

We already have a new thread going, move commentary there.

Going to lock this one down.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Prev Next