Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Agree the message re not needing high end bike to participate but OMG IM already have a plethora of mind numbingly boring stuff on 'average' people participating. Every world champ coverage has montages of average Joe doing it for his/her family, overcoming adversity, ex addict, overweight, disabled etc... Its no new recipe.

But for my mind it's a double edge sword. Most want to do the race because it is hard, because its an accomplishment. The more you focus on everyone can do it the more it diminishes the attraction IMHO..

This I agree with, very much. And the message should be that it is OK to do it on average equipment and it is OK to finish in 15 hrs. I wasn't attracted to triathlonn because of pros, high end bikes or Kona. I did it to get my shit together and deal with PTSD. I did read about Kona but it was unafordably far for somebody living in East Europe. Once in Canada, I met a guy who introduced me to super sprint and I did it on a bike I picked up at the thrift store. But reading triathlon magazines I would have never started as I could not afford anything they were writing about.
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my first tri in 2001. I took 2019-2021 off (had nothing to do with the pandemic) then started back last year. I’ve done races at every distance but since 2008, I have only done sprints. I live in southeast Georgia but primarily race in Florida. There are a few super bikes in the racks at these races but most are mid level tribikes, road bikes (with and without clip ons), mountain bikes, and even a few cruisers. There are always a couple of the Walmart GMC Denali road bikes as well. Wetsuits are all but non existent. Most of the races aren’t wetsuit legal and the ones that are legal are only so by a few degrees. There aren’t many sub-70 degree water temps around here. So down here, it can be pretty cheap to get in the sport and we seem to have decent participation numbers. There isn’t as much of an equipment arms race at these events. Now if you’re talking about long course racing - I’d say that’s a different story. But it’s still not as bad as people make it out. I did my iron-distance on a sub-$1000 aluminum road bike. Occasionally I’ll do a wetsuit legal race early or late in the year. My wetsuit is a no name $100 suit I bought off eBay that has lasted me since 2018. I think the key is getting beginners in at a true entry level point - sprint races on less expensive equipment, embrace the lifestyle, then start buying the nice stuff. But as for me, I have no interest in M-dot races, air travel, all that.
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to smile at your first sentence...enough said.

First off, my disclaimer. I am no longer involved with the day-to-day operations of MultiSport Canada and the Tri/Du series. I am still the race director for Barrelman (thank you for your kind words), and am still involved enough in the sport to add my two cents.

I agree with your sense of the situation in that the sport is perceived to be too expensive for those who want to enter. I also agree with your statement that one can build a really fast tri bike for far less than many of the brands and models that are being advertised. It makes me wonder if some of the enterprising bike retailers, in markets where there are enough potential sales to promote "let us build you an affordable bike", are missing an opportunity. The concept being that they partner with the triathlon races/series and bike events of any sort in joint marketing campaigns. The goal being to attract people to the respective sports, in part by educating them on some realities and countering the belief that they are too expensive.

With less reliance on print advertising the cost to target market locally, what with social media being the main communication platform, has deceased over the years. Maybe a relatively inexpensive grass roots campaign with the potential for new customers, both for the sport and the retailer might be something to explore. For the retailer there is probably a higher ROI in that repeats visits to the shop are probably more frequent than the number of races one will do. That is even more likely if the retailer is educating the customer about proper maintenance and upgrades right from the start. It is also an opportunity to introduce the race or series to that customer, hand them off electronically and let that race or series introduce themselves. Will it increase sales exponentially? No. However, the vast majority of local growth over the years in the sports of Tri/Du has been organic word of mouth and I believe, will stay the same. Just a thought....and me musing out loud.

I am sure you are also right about overall numbers decreasing in the sport in some markets however, I have not done the wholesale research and can only comment on our tri community in Southern Ontario. I think that if you compare numbers pre-covid and post you might find that numbers have not decreased dramatically and some have actually increased. In some instances it means the numbers are at least net zero for some events and for others there has been growth. That still is not large growth however, it is not a decrease either. Someone like Steve Fleck would probably have a very good handle on the situation on a more global level.

As an FYI, Barrelman is tracking ahead of previous years. Thanks again for your kind words!

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Last edited by: John Salt: Feb 5, 23 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still do think in the sprints, you'll see some mountain bikes, cruisers, etc. as they are more beginner-friendly.

That's what I'm talking about - right-off-the-street beginners on one hand. They are doing their first triathlon.

On the other, I fail to see the need to go ALL IN on a dedicated triathlon bike of you are only going do do maybe 1 - 3 shorter sprint distance triathlons a year. Anyone can do whatever they want, but I'd be suggesting a bike that would be a bit more utilitarian and have some range and flexibility in terms of what you can do with it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure you are also right about overall numbers decreasing in the sport in some markets however, I have not done the wholesale research and can only comment on our tri community in Southern Ontario. I think that if you compare numbers pre-covid and post you might find that numbers have not decreased dramatically and some have actually increased. In some instances it means the numbers are at least net zero for some events and for others there has been growth. That still is not large growth however, it is not a decrease either. Someone like Steve Fleck would probably have a very good handle on the situation on a more global level.

As an FYI, Barrelman is tracking ahead of previous years. Thanks again for your kind words!

John,

Generally speaking all across the whole spectrum of Endurance Sports races/events, running, cycling and triathlon - entries were down about 15% last year all across North America. In Canada this number was actually closer to 20% based on some data that Race Roster provided at a recent Race Directors Conference that I Emceed.

The trend through the late fall was races/events were picking back up and many were back to 2019 numbers. I don't think we'll know the FULL story on where things are at until we get through 2023.

Great news on Barrelman, that you are tracking AHEAD of previous years. I hope that trend continues.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next