Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your BMX bike [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! We get to talk about bikes and not get sent to the other forum! I got a generic-ish bike when I was 12 or so, then upgraded it piece by piece over the years until it was a completely different bike. The new version had a GT frame and Skyway mags. Then it was stolen out of our garage. I was so crushed that my parents let me spend some money above and beyond the insurance and I got a Redline RL20ii Pro Styler. I was completely unworthy of it!! I traded it in in my 20's for a road bike that I used for that other activity that we don't discuss here....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hands down the best thread on this site! This brings back a ton of memories. Kuwahara Magician (I always referred to it as the Freestyle model). I kid you not, I still think about this bike 12-15x/year. WTF was I thinking when I got rid of it because I now had a driver's license?!?! I know for certain I put more miles on it than I have on all of my tri/road rigs...period. And if I still had it, I'd still ride it more than my tri/road rigs. Man...I miss my bmx days of digging around in the cushions for change to go buy a drink and a pack of Cabbage Patch Kids trading cards. That or just cruising the neighborhood pretending I was in the movie RAD looking for my friends. Sun up to sun down, no cell phones for parents to track my whereabouts. Laying in bed at night with legs so tired I could no longer move them...

Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [jhornebx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread brings up an old memory. My friend that lived across the street was the ringleader of our little BMX/freestyle crew. Another kid down the street had a quarter pipe in his backyard but had graduated to driving cars and no longer cared about the bike so he offered to sell the quarter pipe to my friend. He bought it, but now we needed to figure out how to get it home to my friends house. None of our parents were forthcoming with ideas or assistance because they thought we were stupid and going to kill ourselves so we rounded up about 8 more of our friends, got whatever skateboards we could get our hands one, and proceeded to wheel this monstrosity home. You can imagine the difficulty in trying to get 10 to 12 skateboards working in unison and tracking straight with an 8 foot tall mass of 2x4s and plywood perched on top, but we ultimately made it. I think it took us 5 or 6 hours to go about 300 yards but we were not to be deterred, this was a quarter pipe after all. We ultimately turned it into a half-pipe and over a few years proceeded to break many bikes and bike parts, and a variety of assorted bones. Those were good times!
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remain convinced that the 1980s was peak American childhood experience. The trifecta intersection of parents not quite yet giving a fuck; kids untethered to electronic devices; and the bicycle engineering technology to launch one’s self off a cinder block and plywood ramp over five trash cans and two little brothers.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Dec 8, 22 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
That’s a sweet ride, I love the elegant simplicity. Only thing I’d change is the mag wheels to black, or keep it spoked.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Norco before today.

Norco is still around today making bikes of all varieties. Mostly sold in Canada, I guess. Quite obviously, their design center peaked around 1984.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I remain convinced that the 1980s was peak American childhood experience. The trifecta intersection of parents not quite yet giving a fuck; kids untethered to electronic devices; and the bicycle engineering technology to launch one’s self off a cinder block and plywood ramp over five trash cans and two little brothers.

Amen to that, except that I was typically one of the "little brothers" in that mayhem cocktail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started up again!

I had lots of bikes growing up and I raced BMX for about 7 years. Raced some fast guys as an expert at some national races…. Bubba McIntosh, David Milham, and Shelby James as the most notable. Shelby James at the time was world champion. At the ABA Grand Nationals in a qualifier moto, we were side by side and I was hitting him in his hip with my elbow down the first straight with each crank…. He took me high on the first berm and that was the last I saw of him!

Anywho- race bike then was a Haro RS-1, a Robinson, then a Free Agent.

Currently went old man style with an SE PK Ripper and I also have a Redline PL-26 I bought last month. A friend just retired and gave me his 20” and 24” Redline race bikes! Looking forward to try them out at Oldsmar BMX track in Florida soon!
Last edited by: jharris: Dec 8, 22 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Damn straight!

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:
This thread brings up an old memory. My friend that lived across the street was the ringleader of our little BMX/freestyle crew. Another kid down the street had a quarter pipe in his backyard but had graduated to driving cars and no longer cared about the bike so he offered to sell the quarter pipe to my friend. He bought it, but now we needed to figure out how to get it home to my friends house. None of our parents were forthcoming with ideas or assistance because they thought we were stupid and going to kill ourselves so we rounded up about 8 more of our friends, got whatever skateboards we could get our hands one, and proceeded to wheel this monstrosity home. You can imagine the difficulty in trying to get 10 to 12 skateboards working in unison and tracking straight with an 8 foot tall mass of 2x4s and plywood perched on top, but we ultimately made it. I think it took us 5 or 6 hours to go about 300 yards but we were not to be deterred, this was a quarter pipe after all. We ultimately turned it into a half-pipe and over a few years proceeded to break many bikes and bike parts, and a variety of assorted bones. Those were good times!

My childhood best friend’s dad owned the biggest and best bicycle shop in the area (still owned by their family today but different name and different location across town). They also owned the local BMX track. They had the biggest house on the block with a massive driveway. They had a half pipe in the driveway. We pretty much had BMX carte blanche to do whatever the fuck we wanted.

The mid 80s was BMX heaven for us. His dad put on freestyle and skateboard shows all the time. I’ve hung out with a whose who of freestyle and skateboard culture from that time. Most prominently Tony Hawk, Bob Haro (more or less businessman by then) and his crew, and Mat Hoffman. I loved Tony Hawk in the most straight guy kind of way. I think I was 15 at the time. Which put Tony at 17. I thought he was the coolest dude on the planet. He was making some ridiculous money for a 17 year old. I remember he said he was buying his own house or some shit.

Dave Mirra lived about 20 miles from us so our BMX track was where he got his start. He was four years younger than me but I got to know him pretty well as his father and my father worked together so he and his dad would hang out in our area on race days. He was ridiculously good. He was like 11 or 12 at the time and he was the most talented bike rider I had ever seen. He ended up moving to North Carolina if memory serves but I never forgot that kid. It was amazing to see him turn into a X Games freestyle god 10-15 years later.

He and my brother were the same age. Fast forward all these years later and they end up racked near each other (M last names) at the Syracuse 70.3. I think in 2013 or 2014. My brother went over to him and said you probably don’t remember me but you used to hang with us at the BMX track. Shame what happened to him.

Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to look up Dave Mirra, I didn’t know he died by suicide. Geez. Sad. Always makes me wonder what someone goes through mentally to get to that point, and how they didn’t see hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:

My stepbrothers and I saw a how-to build a quarter pipe in BMX Action Magazine. We went through the neighborhood to the home building job sites and gathered scrap lumber. When we didn’t have enough scrap, we started pulling from the new wood piles. I still don’t know how our parents didn’t know that would was new and did not ask questions. The next week, a construction truck drove by the house and saw the newly erected quarter pipe. How he didn’t knock on the door of our house an d we didn’t get our asses beat is beyond me.

I should add that every scar on my body, but 1 is from bicycle crashes. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
bm wrote:

My childhood best friend’s dad owned the biggest and best bicycle shop in the area (still owned by their family today but different name and different location across town). They also owned the local BMX track. They had the biggest house on the block with a massive driveway. They had a half pipe in the driveway. We pretty much had BMX carte blanche to do whatever the fuck we wanted.

The mid 80s was BMX heaven for us. His dad put on freestyle and skateboard shows all the time. I’ve hung out with a whose who of freestyle and skateboard culture from that time. Most prominently Tony Hawk, Bob Haro (more or less businessman by then) and his crew, and Mat Hoffman. I loved Tony Hawk in the most straight guy kind of way. I think I was 15 at the time. Which put Tony at 17. I thought he was the coolest dude on the planet. He was making some ridiculous money for a 17 year old. I remember he said he was buying his own house or some shit.

Dave Mirra lived about 20 miles from us so our BMX track was where he got his start. He was four years younger than me but I got to know him pretty well as his father and my father worked together so he and his dad would hang out in our area on race days. He was ridiculously good. He was like 11 or 12 at the time and he was the most talented bike rider I had ever seen. He ended up moving to North Carolina if memory serves but I never forgot that kid. It was amazing to see him turn into a X Games freestyle god 10-15 years later.

He and my brother were the same age. Fast forward all these years later and they end up racked near each other (M last names) at the Syracuse 70.3. I think in 2013 or 2014. My brother went over to him and said you probably don’t remember me but you used to hang with us at the BMX track. Shame what happened to him.

CTE is awful. I do wonder how guys like Mat Hoffman are doing now. His brain and body must be a mess.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I had to look up Dave Mirra, I didn’t know he died by suicide. Geez. Sad. Always makes me wonder what someone goes through mentally to get to that point, and how they didn’t see hope.

Autopsy revealed he had severe CTE. Which is no surprise given his chosen profession and path in life. Bonking your noggin off concrete, dirt, and wood for 25 years is not healthy.

There was an article written about it a few years ago and it was a tough read. He was a fucking mess towards the end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/peugeot/47813

Here’s mine. Lots of upgrades from a stock CPX-300.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daaaaaamn this is hot.

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc=

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned and ridden a shit ton of bikes but never ever set foot to pedal on a BMX bike. Your last post confirmed the reason as Gen X. I am thankful and without regret that I missed this rage. Question, did the children of the Xers follow in your footsteps or is BMX dead when you pass?
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
I have owned and ridden a shit ton of bikes but never ever set foot to pedal on a BMX bike. Your last post confirmed the reason as Gen X. I am thankful and without regret that I missed this rage. Question, did the children of the Xers follow in your footsteps or is BMX dead when you pass?

I haven't either. I was born right at the beginning of Gen X and never had this in my area. My first real bike was a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed. I lived out in the middle of nowhere and had to ride to town to do anything so this bike was perfect. Riding a BMX bike 10+ miles one way would not be advised.

My great-nephew got into BMX a few years ago and did pretty well. I never got a chance to watch him. In Columbus, IN they have a decent BMX following now, from what I'm told.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
gofigure wrote:

I haven't either. I was born right at the beginning of Gen X and never had this in my area. My first real bike was a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed. I lived out in the middle of nowhere and had to ride to town to do anything so this bike was perfect. Riding a BMX bike 10+ miles one way would not be advised.

My great-nephew got into BMX a few years ago and did pretty well. I never got a chance to watch him. In Columbus, IN they have a decent BMX following now, from what I'm told.

You mention 10 speed, and growing up in Indiana and now Columbus is a thriving BMX hub. As a young teen In Columbus, In. my bike was a sturdy beach cruiser complete with a large basket for my Indianapolis Star newspapers. It also was my transportation to school, the river and to the golf course. But that was the mid 60's. My first 10 speed was a "76 purchase and it was for commutes from Revere Ma to East Boston. Rush hour was just that, an adrenaline rush weaving through traffic racing the cars. Child seats got mounted and then removed. It then made it out to Ca and a first triathlon in "84 and it went along on a western pacific cruise and another tri in Subic Bay Pi and a ride around Oahu with my Dad pulling sag duty. If BMX was a thing in the 80's, I was both too old, too busy and just hooked into the main forum sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Man this thread brings back the memories, first bike I really remember was a Yamaha. I was the neighborhood boss on that thing. As someone else said, I am pretty sure I rode this thing more miles than I have any of my later in life road/tri bikes. I'd love to tool around the neighborhood on one now.

My first BMX bike was circa 1984 Redline, chome too. I loved that bike more than anything. Unfortunately, in 7th grade, it was stolen from the bike rack at school. The lock was cut. Spent days searching the neighborhood for it.

Dude! I also had a Redline 500a. I upgraded to a 3 piece Sugino crank, Skyway tuff II’s, a Race Inc stem and handlebar and a Uni seat. Mine got stolen in 6th grade when at the community rec center with friends. I cried like a little bitch. I recently 36 years later finally replaced it with a Redline with 26” wheels. Cool cruiser bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Your BMX bike [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did no one mention Diamonback? That was top tier material in my 10 year old brain.

1982 Diamondback Silver Streak

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc=

Quote Reply

Prev Next