Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best all around gravel tire?
Quote | Reply
Is there a gravel equivalent to the Conti 5000 on the road? The tires that came on my gravel bike seemed decent (IRC Boken), but are in need of replacement. What are folks using as a tire that offers some good puncture protection and is has decent rolling resistance. Current tires are 700x40, but willing to go a bit bigger. Let's assume decent conditions (no real mud) and mostly fire road style riding.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around gravel tire? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say there's not really a single go-to choice. Paved is paved whereas there is so much variation in gravel surfaces. I'd probably recommend going on bicyclerollingresistance.com and looking at the table. Basically pick the fastest tire that also has the amount of tread and puncture resistance you're comfortable running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is no. It depends where you live and ride (or want to ride).

For fire roads I’d look at a 40m slick or file tread with light puncture resistance.

Ben Delaney recently picked his favs. I like the Pathfinder Pro because my rides have everything from fast dirt roads to loose single track
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around gravel tire? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both the Conti Terra Speeds and Schwalbe G-one RS have been my go to tires for anything except muddy terrain. They both test well on BRR. I like "feel" of the Contis better, but I wish they had better side knobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around gravel tire? [intheways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the Terra Speed last winter/spring, right until I somehow ran over and embedded a broken shard of metal in the rear about 4 miles from end of a gravel race. Really nice tire.

Have heard a lot of good things about RS and am keen to try them.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Dec 3, 22 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had excellence performance with Panaracer's Gravel King SS on the rough, rocky terrain in New England. I also found that it works well in most sandy and dirt conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around gravel tire? [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the Panaracer gravel Kings
I did Unbound 200 in 2021 and they were perfect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both the Vittoria Terreno Zero (700x35) and the Vittoria Terreno Dry (700x38). I prefer the Dry’s as an all rounder. It got me through Unbound this year with no flats. Note that even though they’re advertised as 38s, they actually measure 43-45mm mounted and pressured up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a tire you won't find in any of the "best tire" articles....
The Tufo Gravel Thundero is AMAZING. Super grippy in all conditions, durable, and the rolling resistance is incredible, only a couple watts worse than a 32C 5000 TL.
I have a Tufo Gravel Speedero 40C as my rear tire and a Thundero on the front.
The Speedero measures around 41mm on 25mm internal rim, and the Thundero about 41.5mm.
I have slighlty less clearance in the rear so I figure this was a good compromise.
They were super easy to setup and hold air well.
And the best part is they are CHEAP. I think I paid $44 CAD from BikeInn.

I have a set of wheels with road tires for my gravel bike and I rarely swap them in as the Tufo's are so fast on asphalt.
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around gravel tire? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I like the Pathfinder Pro because my rides have everything from fast dirt roads to loose single track

I'm a fan of the Pathfinder Pro as well. Where I live (eastern MA) every "gravel" ride is really a mixed surface ride that involves a decent amount of pavement. The Pathfinder Pro is fast on pavement and hardpacked gravel, and pretty capable on fire roads and moderate gravel. It isn't great on loose chunkier gravel and I've found it's limits a few times, but for most of my local riding it's a good compromise.
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around gravel tire? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The Tufo Gravel Thundero is AMAZING. Super grippy in all conditions, durable, and the rolling resistance is incredible, only a couple watts worse than a 32C 5000 TL.
The Speedero measures around 41mm on 25mm internal rim, and the Thundero about 41.5mm.
I have slighlty less clearance in the rear so I figure this was a good compromise.

I have a set of wheels with road tires for my gravel bike and I rarely swap them in as the Tufo's are so fast on asphalt.

I ended up ordering a pair of the Tufo thundero - not sure if I’ll get to ride them soon, with winter just about here. Looking forward to when I can, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I ended up ordering a pair of the Tufo thundero - not sure if I’ll get to ride them soon, with winter just about here. Looking forward to when I can, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Me too. $84 all in for two shipped to USA.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

as width and tread time need to be adjusted based on terrain

I have tires from 35 to 48c with a few patterns as needed

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply