Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

broken elbow--what's the recovery after hardware is taken out
Quote | Reply
Broke my elbow 6 mos ago, surgery and hardware going in was super painful, no swimming for 2 weeks, elbow got really stiff. Was told taking the hardware out is much easier, less painful and the only restriction is to wait until stitches fall out to swim. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: broken elbow--what's the recovery after hardware is taken out [mompers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Broke mine back in 2014 and had a very similar situation with pain and stiffness. The surgery to remove hardware was pretty insignificant. If you have pretty good range of motion now, it will be fine after the surgery. Like you said, you just have to watch until the stitches come out.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: broken elbow--what's the recovery after hardware is taken out [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar boat here. I actually broke both my elbow (olecranon) and dislocated (grade 5) my shoulder in a bike accident in July. Unfortunately recovery from elbow is motion; recovery from shoulder is immobilization. So, currently in month 5 which includes 3 months from elbow surgery, getting range of motion back, but 2 months from shoulder surgery with elbow (and shoulder) immobilization. Just had sling removed from shoulder, but elbow range of motion has regressed. Hopefully physical therapy can get that back quickly.

I'm still too early to get the elbow hardware out, but I have noticed some (minor) clicking in my elbow. And, the actual elbow is still tender to the touch. Hopefully getting back on a TT bike soon and if any discomfort there, the plate has to come out!
Quote Reply
Re: broken elbow--what's the recovery after hardware is taken out [mompers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my elbow in 2011. It was bad break and a very tough rehab to get full motion back. I got a titanium plate and 6 screws. The hardware is still there and my doctor never suggested removing it.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply