Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ultraman WC [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
asianzone wrote:

Was hoping to see a photo finish between Richard and Steven but that never happens in an Ultraman:)

Not Ultraman but the Sri Chinmoy Three Day Ultra,Canberra in 1999...15k swim/400k ride/100k run
The swim was done as usual on the first morning but unlike Ultraman the bike started the same evening and we rode through the night.The run then started at midnight the next day.

In the 15k swim I was first out of the water beating my old mate Paul Every by 45mins
On the 400k bike later that day/night Paul took back almost all of that time and we started the 100k, 11 seconds' apart total time
Then the run started and after 9hrs 30min'ish we were together running round and round the short run loop (through the ongoing Australian Long Course Tri Champ's transition area).With about 1k to go Paul put in a surge and it was on.We battled it out but Paul was too good and made it to the top of the last hill before me and sprinted downhill to the finish beating me by 29 seconds.
After 15k's of swimming,400k's of biking and 100k;s of running taking us 30hrs,I lost by 18seconds.

(18seconds is also the record for the closest Ultraman winning margin.That happened in Ultraman Canada when Scott Beasley beat Curtis Flock in around 2008'ish)

18 secs, as good as a photo finish! You will be at Noosa right?
I'll be there in some capacity.The last two years I helped out with race announcing as Tim Franklin's sidekick but he won't be there next year so I might have to step up and help out with more admin and announcing.I live on the course so it is my local Ultra.I think a couple of Ultra355 races might be for me next year.They are waaaaay cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry Berg was hit by a truck on Day 2 and ended up in the hospital with a broken collarbone and collapsed lung. A bit bummed that UMWC has said nothing about this....

Unpopular Leanda thought. I listened to a podcast a few months ago (IronWomen) and Leanda talked about her training and well.... it really put me off. She was pretty laissez faire about training and the race. It seemed that she was banking on her years of endurance training and almost winged the race (she didn't solidify her crew until the day of the race at UMCA, her longest training ride was only 100 miles, her longest run was 16 miles). Having crewed at an Ultraman and seeing first hand what those athletes do for training and racing, it seemed almost disrespectful to the distance. (counter argument would be that she's an amazing athlete to compete that well with that very low volume of training). I really hope she trained more and was better organized for the WC event.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to push back on your idea of Leanda cave's not taking it seriously.

how does no long volume = not taken it seriously.

You wrote this below and I hear this alot in the endurance world and to me it sounds like "I work a ton more hours for the same paycheck/ or less than others so I am more committed?" or you are doing a lot wrong and wasting time.

Having crewed at an Ultraman and seeing first hand what those athletes do for training and racing, it seemed almost disrespectful to the distance

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mountain_erin wrote:
Barry Berg was hit by a truck on Day 2 and ended up in the hospital with a broken collarbone and collapsed lung. A bit bummed that UMWC has said nothing about this....
Yeah,all I can say is that "The Hawaiians", as they are referred to by many, can be an odd bunch.

They did post a photo and a comment about Barry at the finish line the day after but I found out about his crash through his social media when he posted from hospital.Strange but not surprising to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“She recon'd the entire bike course! Wow, clearly was on a mission! “

This is actually basic Ultraman prep - it’s not considered unusual at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I am going to push back on your idea of Leanda cave's not taking it seriously.

how does no long volume = not taken it seriously.

You wrote this below and I hear this alot in the endurance world and to me it sounds like "I work a ton more hours for the same paycheck/ or less than others so I am more committed?" or you are doing a lot wrong and wasting time.

Having crewed at an Ultraman and seeing first hand what those athletes do for training and racing, it seemed almost disrespectful to the distance

Go listen to the podcast - she all but admits that she was underprepared and didn't take it seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe she said that but why did it both you she finished third in ladies and 8 th overall.

it really put me off. She was pretty laissez faire about training and the race. It seemed that she was banking on her years of endurance training and almost winged the race

I would say she was right and the extra work would have been of little to know help.

I have a buddy that did nothing according to him and won a world championship.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
“She recon'd the entire bike course! Wow, clearly was on a mission! “

This is actually basic Ultraman prep - it’s not considered unusual at all.

The problem is that the bike course is so long. I can imagine doing it in a car but not on a bike. The last time i just checked out the first 50 km on the bike course and relied on my crew to direct me on turns, I think crew is very very very important

But i agree, being familiar with the bike course does help as 90% of time you are alone and always wondering if you made a wrong turn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely racers and their teams can also prepare the route so that they have turn by turn on their GPS computers in case the teams aren't at all turns?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iainbanks1 wrote:
Surely racers and their teams can also prepare the route so that they have turn by turn on their GPS computers in case the teams aren't at all turns?

Hey,stop being so sensible!!

On a similar topic,over the years we have seen athletes and crews do some monumentally stupid things. Those stories alone could fill a book.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 29, 22 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things: 1) I've attempted the race previously as well as crewed, but I still went out and drove almost the entire course. With stops for food and bathroom, it's an all day affair.

2) The GPX files associated with the race are not entirely accurate. People have used them in the past and they erroneously added a couple of parallel roads, which unfortunately added some significant elevation as well. Not saying someone couldn't try and remap everything themselves, making sure to stay on the correct roads, just adding that it's not as simple as just uploading and follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not call it stupid but would call it silly. With last place male in the 2017 Ultra 520 K wrapped up, and plenty of time left before the cut off, me and my pacer decided to purposely add another k or so to the run course once we got back into Summerland, we ran up another big long hill just for fun.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman WC [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I would not call it stupid but would call it silly. With last place male in the 2017 Ultra 520 K wrapped up, and plenty of time left before the cut off, me and my pacer decided to purposely add another k or so to the run course once we got back into Summerland, we ran up another big long hill just for fun.
Hahahaa

The most common stupid things crew do is to think their athlete would be fine out there on their own while we just go have a quick bite to eat at this lovely roadside diner. That is the reason I now always carry money with me when I do races as I have been abandoned (2005) by my crew and had to a) stop another crew to ask for food and b) borrow money from them in case I needed to stop and buy some Gatorade along the way..You would think that the RD of IMC would know better.

During Day Two in UMC 1994 my crew vanished for a while and thankfully it wasn't an issue and we could laugh about it later.My girlfriend was working at the Barking Parrot (a bar in the Lakeside Hotel for those not familiar with Penticton) and being a weekend she worked until the early hours of the morning.We started the ride and she made herself a bed in the back of the van and went to sleep while my two mates drove around feeding me. About 140k'ish into the ride we passed the Bears Fuit Stand on the turnoff to Princeton by Keremeous and the guys decided to stop and get some snacks. While they were gone my girlfriend apparently wakes up and decides to go to the bathroom and while she is there the lads finish their shopping,get in the van and drive off in search of me.About 5 minutes later one of them says to the other "Jesus,Leisa can sleep can't she,can't believe she hasn't made a sound" then he turns around and there is no Leisa in the back of the van, DOH! A quick U-Turn and hasty retreat back to the Bears Fruit Stand and there she is telling another crew what a pair of bloody idiots my mates are. That year was one continuous Gong Show with those guys and I am very surprised I did so well in the end.
Quote Reply

Prev Next