Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Island might decide Ironmans fate.
Quote | Reply
https://weatherboy.com/...in-hawaii-mauna-loa/

"Officials Urge People to Pack “Go Bags”, Prepare for Eruption, at World’s Largest Active Volcano in Hawaii, Mauna Loa"

We were sitting on the couch today in Kona and I thought our son ran into the back of the couch then sat down and was kicking it but it was a 5.0 magnitude earthquake. There were several others smaller afterwards. I hear that's normal here but I've read it getting worse. Perhaps the Island feels the locals energy and will decide Ironmans fate? Luckily, we fly home tomorrow.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Oct 15, 22 0:37
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the existential threat to IRONMAN, in the old days, was getting kicked off the island, or marvel comics refusing to license the trademark. i think both of those have been solved over the years. i don't thing IRONMAN - the company, the series of races - is captive to kona any longer. remember, it's already moved islands once before. even if it moved entirely out of hawaii, i think IRONMAN is fine.

in order for IRONMAN to be physically unable to proceed on the big island the problems for the residents would be much bigger than the fate of the race. we've already seen big issues with mauna loa has been grumpy for centuries. kilauea is grumpier. fortunately IM does not take place on that southeast road to hilo.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about IM having changed venues once already, but that was way back when nobody cared about IM I guess? Now it’s a multi million dollar race and Ironman would be asking themselves how many slots they can sell if the race is “not on that course”.

If “Ironman will be fine” is a way of saying the IM WC will still take place (the way it did in St. George) then there’s of course no question that it will. But my understanding of the OP’s intent is that the volcano may decide the issue of whether the race should take place on the island of Hawaii.

Interesting article regardless. The map of the volcano slopes and historical lava flows in particular was eye-opening.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Oct 15, 22 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Good point about IM having changed venues once already, but that was way back when nobody cared about IM I guess? Now it’s a multi million dollar race and Ironman would be asking themselves how many slots they can sell if the race is “not on that course”.

If “Ironman will be fine” is a way of saying the IM WC will still take place (the way it did in St. George) then there’s of course no question that it will. But my understanding of the OP’s intent is that the volcano may decide the issue of whether the race should take place on the island of Hawaii.

Interesting article regardless. The map of the volcano slopes and historical lava flows in particular was eye-opening.

I think in the "no one cared category" when Ironman moved from Oahu to Kona was a younger version of Dan Empfield. There will be new versions of Dan who will kick off the formal launch of the Ironman worlds somewhere that is not Kona if the 2 day event is no longer welcome in kona for whatever reason. The sport will be fine. It does not need Kona as much as Kona thinks the sport needs it. New legacies will be kicked off in new locations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eruption
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Van Halen comes to mind.

They say there's no danger to the public, even with a 1/4" of ash fallout and volcanic gas threatening communities. At what point is there danger? When's it's flowing down the sides and people can't escape?

Edit to add a quote; "...if the eruptive vents migrate outside its walls, lava flows may move rapidly downslope."

Sounds like there's danger to me.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Nov 28, 22 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Van Halen comes to mind.

They say there's no danger to the public, even with a 1/4" of ash fallout and volcanic gas threatening communities. At what point is there danger? When's it's flowing down the sides and people can't escape?

Edit to add a quote; "...if the eruptive vents migrate outside its walls, lava flows may move rapidly downslope."

I've seen maps with danger zones, especially direction captain cooke lava could reach the coast within hours. In other directions (Hilo) there's more time to prepare. People have been briefed already in Hawaii the last two months.
I was in White Sands during the Ironman a couple of weeks ago, between Kona and Captain Cooke. Feels kind of strange that that is a danger zone right now.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Nov 28, 22 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Van Halen comes to mind.

Exactly!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got anything for Fire and Ice?

Quote:
The National Weather Service is also continuing Winter Weather Advisories for Hawaii too, where snow is falling on currently-eruption Mauna Loa and also on nearby Mauna Kea volcanoes.
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
timr wrote:
Van Halen comes to mind.

Exactly!!!

I always preferred Spanish Fly myself.
More controlled.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iDsa4uDM3zU
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope for the Hawaians that "smoke on the water" can be kept under lock and key for the time being.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing Ultraman just concluded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Van Halen comes to mind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Lenny Bruce is not afraid
Quote Reply
Re: The Island might decide Ironmans fate. [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
and Lenny Bruce is not afraid

There's nothing sadder than an aging hipster.
Quote Reply