Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where are all the women at?
Quote | Reply
I have been racing this season but can’t help but notice that there seems to be a lack of women. I did a race this past weekend and there were zero women in some of the younger age groups- I looked back over the past decade of race results and it looks like that never happened before in this race. Local sprint triathlons used to be basically 50-50 here… now it seems like they are mostly men. Is anyone else noticing this? The effect here seems so big and so noticeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the women at? [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I've noticed a lot fewer younger women out at races and I think there's a few reasons: cost, having a job that enables the cost of the sport, and a job that has decent amount of PTO to enable going to races etc.
I think most fresh out of college are under a mountain of school debt... otherwise, maybe just tastes are changing?
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the women at? [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What area of the country are you in?

Here in Nashville, at the tri here, the entries broke down as follows:

Olympic:
M: 205
F: 71 (30-34 and 45-49 and 50-54 all had the largest number and AGs went from 15-19 to 60-64)

Sprint:
M: 247
F: 123 (30-34 was the largest AG and AGs went from 13-15 all the way up to 70-74)

ETA: At the other big race here in TN, put on by the same race directors, the Olympic had 186 women and the Sprint had 206 (including an 80+ lady). All AGs were well represented.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Aug 11, 22 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the women at? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
Personally I've noticed a lot fewer younger women out at races and I think there's a few reasons: cost, having a job that enables the cost of the sport, and a job that has decent amount of PTO to enable going to races etc.
I think most fresh out of college are under a mountain of school debt... otherwise, maybe just tastes are changing?

I do think the younger generations in their 20s and 30s face so many challenges in this day and age. Maybe more so than us older women in our late 40s, 50s and beyond. Mountains of student loans, insane housing costs, current day inflation, supply chain issues when you can buy a bike or need parts. It's just a tough time right now for all of us. And yes, PTO (vacation time). Back in my 30s I don't think I had much more than 2-3 weeks off (mostly 2 weeks). Now at age 52, I have 5 weeks and 3 days of combined time off per year. And then add the pandemic and how it might have affected everyone. War in Europe (for those affected). Climate change wreaking havoc on many places (too hot to train, floods, fires, smoke). It's almost a miracle that triathlon life continues as business as usual. Just my take. And when the world is going to sh*t, I do think it's easier to be older right now. (more money, more resources, more savings, more time off)

ETA: maybe priorities are changing for younger men and women faced with so many problems in the world today. Honestly I'm so glad I am not young. I don't see anything really getting better in the world or feel hopeful for improvement (climate change, weather events, war, famine, economic problems).

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Aug 24, 22 8:03
Quote Reply