Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, in light of the big bottles that fit the cages from Trek and Soma the specialized bottle is not so attractive now.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the soma 36 ounce ones. I swapped the lid to prevent spillage. They seem pretty good so far.

I am testing 6 hour bottles with 720 gms of 1x.8 malto/fructose. I have one of these along with water. It’s not nearly as sweet as I would have guessed. I ca. dilute it after an hour or two. This is for a 48 hour race.

Has anybody else tried multi hour bottles like this ?
Last edited by: nockee: Mar 5, 23 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [nockee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of the 48 hours is going to be spent awake and moving?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
rrutis wrote:
It looks like Specialized has a 32 oz bottle now:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/team-bottle-32oz/p/244047?color=381940-244047&searchText=44623-3240

One problem I can see with those bottles is that there is no indentation for the bottle cage to hold on to.
100% agree. I have one in my garage. Silly design. So silly I forgot to add it to this list. Gatorade bottles suffer the same problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to sleep as little as possible. It’s a 750 mile road race.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [nockee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic. Uninvited advice: Bank sleep the night(s) before.

I look forward to hearing how that goes with pure malto:fructo mix. Are you planning to consume any fat or protein at any time during the 48 hours? Just curious.

Purely FYI: I have not thought of this exact scenario before. I've considered 36-hour straight efforts, and week-long minimal sleep events (RAAM & others) but I've not considered what I might recommend for possibly 48 hours straight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Mudge wrote:
rrutis wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/team-bottle-32oz/p/244047?color=381940-244047&searchText=44623-3240

One problem I can see with those bottles is that there is no indentation for the bottle cage to hold on to.
100% agree. I have one in my garage. Silly design. So silly I forgot to add it to this list. Gatorade bottles suffer the same problem.

You know, there is an excellent bottle cage available that can hold bottles like this perfectly. On top of that, they're width adjustable. I use them, they work great:
https://www.arundelbike.com/product/looney-bin/

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add some normal food along the way for sure with fats and protein I grab randomly . My hope is I won’t need as much as on prior events. The time involved to scrounge for sugary sweets as random gas stations was not ideal. I am betting this race is at the limit of bringing all the fuel required on board. It’s definitely going to be heavy as we’re looking at 5 kg of powder.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Mudge wrote:
rrutis wrote:

You know, there is an excellent bottle cage available that can hold bottles like this perfectly. On top of that, they're width adjustable. I use them, they work great:
Mind blown. Is it easy to get large bottles in and out of it if it's ratcheted down tight enough to hold them in for off-road riding? How secure we talking?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Mudge wrote:
rrutis wrote:

Mind blown. Is it easy to get large bottles in and out of it if it's ratcheted down tight enough to hold them in for off-road riding? How secure we talking?

You can pretty easily adjust the cage tension on the fly. Less tension for more grippy bottles on smooth surfaces. More tension for more slippery bottles on gravel or worse surfaces.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am going long like the previous poster, something in the neighborhood of 49 to 50 hours if I am lucky. Experimenting with your mixtures to try to train the gut to tolerate for longer periods of time. Yet to be determined when I would augment or switch over to normal food but that is part of what we’re going to need to figure out. Just thought I’d make you aware that we’re attempting this also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on the Speedfil F1? Looks like a 40oz bottle mounted on the downtime with a long straw for aero position drinking.

I'm debating, its a little pricey to take a gamble on.

I also saw a pro do a cage BTA with surgical tubing poked into a hole in the side of standard bottles. The idea being it was <10 bucks per bottle. And instead of refilling, she would just swap the bottle with another behind the seat. Stay aero, cheap bottle, my only issue is I don't have someone who can run around the course to give the specialty bottles to me. The video I saw I think was a GTN youtibe video from challenge roth.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [EngineeredTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried that one and this thread mostly contains typical handheld bike bottles, I think. I am admittedly not well versed all the available BTA bottle or in-frame options.

Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [derv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is this going?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi doc I have a question

From the tour we know the riders are 100plus g on the carbs each hour. Average rider weight 70kg. For a 90kg athlete does that mean more g per hour? Absorption a limiter. But it makes sense us bigger people need more when going hard? Thinking 150 probably the max if it doesn’t slosh around the guts? I think in reality they take 100g an hour and then when it comes to the final section they have let themselves run a bit closer to empty so not sloshing around and that full feeling and can really push as needed. But if you can just ride steady till the end that wouldn’t be an issue
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, you’re spot on. From some private conversations I’ve had with some folks in the know on tour, some of the guys are taking 130-160g per hour in some extreme cases. As you mentioned, absorption is a limiter. Interesting absorption maximum may be more closely linked to body height than body weight. I don’t have any research to back this up, but give us 10 years and we may see that start to pop up in the literature. Gut size tends to correlate as much or more to height than weight, and if gut transporter density doesn’t change dramatically with gut size, then taller people may be able to absorb more per hour. We didn’t include this in our app because there is no direct literature on it, but we may shortly, so that we can assess correlations across our nicely growing dataset. FWIW, and very n=1, I have an athlete (6-2, 195, 325w ftp, male, mid 30’s, weight training background) who has happily consumed 180-190g/hr on warmer days for 3+ hour rides. Another fun anecdote was one of the athletes in one of Dr. Tim Podlogar’s recent papers being able to oxidize 120g per hour of exogenous carbs, meaning that his maximum useful intake may be higher than 150g per hour. (Carb ox efficiency drops at highest fuel intake rates, and this athlete’s oxidation rate was still increasing towards the end of the study duration).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for responding. That’s very helpful. I figure that for someone doing back to back days or longer training sessions across days it helps to finish somewhat full. Someone gave a tip that you should come home after a long ride more full than when you left so your recovery can start a bit earlier or is not impacted

I have been experimenting with taking 300g or so on my morning workouts and coming home and having breakfast after that - my appetite is not very high but I am definitely already recovering in the cool down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update on the Elite Fly 950 ml.

At first, I loved them. Easy to use, fast fluid delivery, great system.

But, after al couple of months, they´re not so great anymore. Of the initial 3, just 1 1/2 left. One of them started leaking form the bottom of the lid, ultimately making imposible to use. The second one started leaking from the valve, so now is only useful in the pool or indoors.

I have to say that my camelback podiums are still in perfect condition after 4 or 5 years of (ab)use, but they´re only 710 ml.

Any similar experience with elite bottles?
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [Osciozo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an Elite Fly after seeing it mentioned in this thread many month ago. Still working fine for me, but I only use it in my car. I mostly ride gravel and because it is so flexible and soft (because is thin-walled and lightweight), I have never trusted it to stay in the bottle cage.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [Osciozo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had that experience with Elite yet, but I crushed one beyond repair when I landed on my back in a MTB crash. (it was in my backpack)

One other issue that some Elite owners have reported is that (maybe just for their white bottle version for some reason) the mouthpiece will not stay completely open. It falls half-closed while attempting to drink. I haven't experienced this with my Elite bottles, but I have experienced it with other cheaper bottles and can confirm it's the most frustrating bottle UX I've ever had. I'd almost rather have it leak and let me get some water out of it than having to fight to get a mouthpiece to remain open while drinking!

Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Dec 27, 23 15:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next